What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

qld redvee

Juniors
Unfortunately, I think it is part of the problem. For anyone already living in Sydney, you probably want to stay in Sydney. Look at the Penrith players, they'd much rather move to Wests Tigers than us despite their miserable record. They don't have to move house, their wives/girlfriends don't have to change jobs, their support networks don't change, it's an easy choice. Who wants to move to Wollongong for what may be only employment for 1 or 2 years, then you have to move back again? Got friends/family from interstate who want to visit? You can get a flight to Newcastle, Gold Coast, Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney but not Wollongong. It may be a great place to live but it's a pain in the big A to get to. Real Estate? Move out of the Sydney market and it's not easy to get back in.

The fact that Flanno wants some training at Kogarah says to me that he has spoken to the players and the Wollongong location is a real issue. It may not be the biggest issue but if it comes down to a choice between us and another Sydney club, I can understand why some players wouldn't choose us because of location.
surely if players have to drive from sydney to the gong it wouldnt kill them .. Do players train EVERY day at the gong does anyone know the training schedule ?? It use to take me 45 minutes from punchbowl to wetherill park each way 5 days a week . If the drive is too much for these professional athletes then maybe we do majority at Kogarah ,, However this then polarises those that do reside down south ..
seriously though a major turn off could be the gym etc at Win , until we ger this centre of excellence with top notch facilities and equipment that could be a turn off to some players or its also the way that our "captain" carried on last year Whatever it is we need to overcome it and sign a few top flight players

Dragon David

First Grade
I honestly cannot recall the make up of the squad of the Illawarra Steelers up until they merged with the Dragons. Were the players mostly or all from the South Coast? I think that most were from that region and therefore the players would have lived closer to WIN Stadium and had families and friends nearby. The St George Dragons players I think were from the St George catchment area and so the same with family, friends, schools, jobs etc and Kogarah ground. Now that there is this merger, to me it really does make things much harder for the players to go to and come from the two grounds and of course any player way up north into Queensland and further down to Newcastle and from the west and inner west and beaches areas, players have got themselves set up with their families etc. It is no wonder we end up with journeymen because they are used to being displaced and where else can they land a footy job?

We have secured just a handful of better players, like Hunt, only because we coughed up good coin to get them and I'm thinking that this would be the only way we can get a couple for 2025 - pay overs because of the reasons as above and what JohnnoMcJohnno said.

Take Jason Saab - He wasn't happy with the commute to Wollongong. He most probably has bought a pad in "God's country" as Peter Peters calls it so he is local to the Sea Eagles' ground. He is just one example.

I'm hoping that the cream of our juniors remain with the Dragons. They would be used to the area down the coast and the Kogarah/Shire Dragons guys also. Its getting the marquee experienced players to come to prop up the squad that we have difficulty getting and we need to offer good coin for them to come.

RedVee

First Grade
I honestly cannot recall the make up of the squad of the Illawarra Steelers up until they merged with the Dragons. Were the players mostly or all from the South Coast? I think that most were from that region and therefore the players would have lived closer to WIN Stadium and had families and friends nearby. The St George Dragons players I think were from the St George catchment area and so the same with family, friends, schools, jobs etc and Kogarah ground. Now that there is this merger, to me it really does make things much harder for the players to go to and come from the two grounds and of course any player way up north into Queensland and further down to Newcastle and from the west and inner west and beaches areas, players have got themselves set up with their families etc. It is no wonder we end up with journeymen because they are used to being displaced and where else can they land a footy job?

We have secured just a handful of better players, like Hunt, only because we coughed up good coin to get them and I'm thinking that this would be the only way we can get a couple for 2025 - pay overs because of the reasons as above and what JohnnoMcJohnno said.

Take Jason Saab - He wasn't happy with the commute to Wollongong. He most probably has bought a pad in "God's country" as Peter Peters calls it so he is local to the Sea Eagles' ground. He is just one example.

I'm hoping that the cream of our juniors remain with the Dragons. They would be used to the area down the coast and the Kogarah/Shire Dragons guys also. Its getting the marquee experienced players to come to prop up the squad that we have difficulty getting and we need to offer good coin for them to come.
The Macarthur and Sthn Highlands areas are not very far from Wollongong. Maybe we should look there as well.

BLM01

First Grade
Unfortunately, I think it is part of the problem. For anyone already living in Sydney, you probably want to stay in Sydney. Look at the Penrith players, they'd much rather move to Wests Tigers than us despite their miserable record. They don't have to move house, their wives/girlfriends don't have to change jobs, their support networks don't change, it's an easy choice. Who wants to move to Wollongong for what may be only employment for 1 or 2 years, then you have to move back again? Got friends/family from interstate who want to visit? You can get a flight to Newcastle, Gold Coast, Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney but not Wollongong. It may be a great place to live but it's a pain in the big A to get to. Real Estate? Move out of the Sydney market and it's not easy to get back in.

The fact that Flanno wants some training at Kogarah says to me that he has spoken to the players and the Wollongong location is a real issue. It may not be the biggest issue but if it comes down to a choice between us and another Sydney club, I can understand why some players wouldn't choose us because of location.
Wollongong region (i.e Albion Park or Shellharbour airport) do take interstate flights from Melbourne and Brisbane and regional NSW. This will grow over time as the area expands and the bottleneck that is Sydney.

BLM01

First Grade
Can someone explain why Wollongong, south coast, is not a favourable destination for players, locality wise, not Club-wise.

Newcastle doesn’t seem to have that issue – ‘too far from Sydney’, in fact they are further away

Canberra does, but appear to be able to adjust when recruiting.

I live in Sydney Metro, on north side, but I never go North for hols – I love the south (Beyond the shires of course)

Why is the south considered undesirable for recruitment?

I don't think it's a fair dinkum excuse.
It isnt it is a great place with miles of great beaches / lifestyle etc, easier to get around.
Now that is Ok for a lot of people but except the area is only small compared to whats on offer in the real big smoke for the youth

BLM01

First Grade
So the Bunnies look like getting St Helens Super League half back Lewis Dodd meaning Ilias is on the outer I would say.

We should definitely be trying to get a few Super League giants to join our club. Will we, I doubt it.

Who was the last SL back to kill out here?...you have to go back a long time

Mojo

Bench
The Gong is a nice place BUT it was / is ludicrous to merge a brand, and a RL history, like St George with the comparatively virtually non-existent Illawarra and to focus the club’s strategic plans around the south coast while allowing the iconic Jubilee and the Taj Mahal to crumble into dust. FFS, it’s a corporate disgrace as well as operationally and strategically idiotic. A massive change at the absolute core of the club is required NOW.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
He is painful Kenty the (;:$

needs some help asap

what an idiot

so drunk he couldn’t keep his hands up. so drunk he cartwheels into a tree upside down, let alone standing around talking trash like a 16 year old instead of walking away at 54yrs of age

At his age u walk away even if u are Iron Mike. No sees the desperate random king hit from the crowd.

He is painful Kenty the (;:$

needs some help asap

what an idiot

so drunk he couldn’t keep his hands up. so drunk he cartwheels into a tree upside down, let alone standing around talking trash like a 16 year old instead of walking away at 54yrs of age

At his age u walk away even if u are Iron Mike. No sees the desperate random king hit from the crowd.
I thought he looked more sober on the street than in his 360 appearances. He was certainly slurring his speech less.

NRLMad

Juniors
I don’t know how to get to the dragons recruitment - but we should have a look at the Catalans dragons - Mike McMeeken, Cesar Rogue, Romano also handy - would be cheap as