What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

it is an interesting team to compare vs ours

how many of their starting 13 and top17 would you put in our team?

especially if many dont feel they are top8 team? Where does that place us ?

would you take 8 of their best or more ?
They have several Origin players and International players, however, they are a shit TEAM. The reason many don't feel they are a top 8 team is because they are in 17th place on the ladder with shocking for and against. Nobody thinks they have a bad roster.

I agree, they simply arent the Top8 side they were, and JD's days were numbered....

But they just played the best 7 teams consecutively (including tonights game, and ignoring the dogs game/win), thats a savage draw... imo they will go on a run of wins soon enough.. hopefully not starting against us.... they definitely are not the 17th best team like they are on the ladder currently.

I see a little bit of us in them.. things dont go their way... so they turn up their toes.. but we atleast have an excuse at times with our plodding roster.. they have the personnel to win more games than they lose.
Our roster is better than some people think. Every week better teams than ours are fielding our rejects in their 17. I agree that we have an excuse to lose some games because we don't have the best roster. We don't have an excuse to get rolled.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I'd be interested in signing tesi niu, he's got some questions defensively but he's improving in that area. He can cover centre, wing & fb. Strike weapon with tons of potential & only 22yo so in the right age bracket for the development of our team. He's off contract this season so definitely gettable.

Gardenia

Juniors
something fishy going on Su'a has not re signed yet and bennet will be back at the Rabbitohs .
Will they re unite , I think will loose Su'a
He publicly stated recently that he wants to stay with us. Bet he was talking to Bennett or a go between while he was saying that. hope I am wrong. If I am right I might buy a packet of eggs to throw . May just be losing my sanity here. Patience patience

FlickFlano

Juniors
drums are beating louder…, manager will now just hold on to see what happens with Wayne and South’s… lazy recruitment here means SuA is most likely gone in my view

Bennett was always coming back to sydney .. it was either going to be Parra or Souths. We have had a contract in front of Su'A for ages that hasnt been matched.

its not lazy by us, its Bennett being Bennett.

Sure we could have put the gun to his head though.

I've had to 'support' my wife's love for the Mariners 'A' league.
Not my favourite game but you do what you've got to do.

my son got an internship there 4 years ago (after also doing school work experience for Mariners)

You would not believe their premises- A reception desk, a small board room a couple of offices and a container out back with team gear and supporter packs.

Not that long ago they were the A-League joke, commentators were calling for them to be axed, Council rejected all their development proposals, they had bugger all money and rarely won.

They won the grand final last year. This year they started with many of their stars gone, a new coach and 4 straight losses. Last night they won the minor premiership and are on their way to Muscat, Oman, to play Al Ahed, the reigning Lebanese Premier League champions for the AFC champions tag.

Ted Lasso story?
Sort of, but it was all underpinned by bolstering their academy, developing the youth & giving them opportunity. Every soccer kid now strives to be a part of the Mariner's academy.

Mind you, they now make huge transfer money selling their bright new stars internationally, which we cant do, but their success is their investment in juniors

I'm sure there is a lesson there for the Dragons

P.S. Did I mention Gosford the same distance from Sydney as Wollongong?

TheRev

First Grade
o Not loving how bad Host is going tonight.. Souths could be on the lookout for a replacement 2nd rower.

o Also not loving how impossible to stop Jack Wighton is.. hes gonna end up in the halves next week with an injury to Hawkins..

Last edited:

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I'm not surprised Su'a has decided he doesn't want a bar of the super coach and he wants out. The same as most of the prospective signings have decided as well. To think this muppet told everyone he was a good recruiter before he got the job, we all tell a few porkies on resumes though don't we?

TheRev

First Grade
So to summarise how tonights game affects us next week (note I am not a physio):
o Longterm injury to Jye Gray (Latrell to Fullback next week)
o Longterm injury to Hawkins (Wighton to 6 next week - he is fired up and hard to stop)
o Longterm injury to Jai Arrow (yay)
o Host sinbinned for charging the legs, will be suspended (Duncan to replace)

Overall they have coverage for almost all of it.. but thats a horrible night out for the bunnies, note I could be wrong with my diagnosis.. but they looked bad.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
So to summarise how tonights game affects us next week (note I am not a physio):
o Longterm injury to Hawkins (Wighton to 6 next week - he is fired up and hard to stop)

Overall they have coverage for almost all of it.. but thats a horrible night out for the bunnies, note I could be wrong with my diagnosis.. but they looked bad.
They looked really bad. I know they love playing us so our game with them in a week and a bits time will indeed be an interesting one.

BLM01

First Grade

Arrow will be fine

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
It feels weird seeing our best players leave. On one hand I love the dragons and want us to have the best roster possible, but on the other hand, even with a good coach like Flanno, the ineptitude of those running the show means that on a personal level, I actually don't blame them for leaving.

I hope Su'a stays but for the sake of his career another club might be better as it'll take a while for us to become a high level team, although I believe we will get there eventually. But, if he's along for the ride and is there while we're at the top, I hope he gets to reap every benefit from it