What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

maestro1

Bench
Your man the drug cheat said pre season we'd be competing for finals and a top 8 spot this season, he didn't say we'll be happy with six wins and not finishing second last.

My expectations are based on what the coach stated pre season, if you'd like to lower yours and offer up pathetic lame apologises for the mediocrity that burdens the club, then perhaps it is less of that type of supporter and staff member the club needs.
I want success but I am a realist. Until we get a couple of Alpha front rowers, some speed in our backline and our squad has at least 3 elite players like nearly all other teams I will be happy with improvement with a view to be in the mix for finals and preliminary finals in the next few years.

maestro1

Bench
..... And a kicking game. I can't believe that with a few minutes to go and needing to score twice to win, we didn't attempt a short kickoff. Are we fxcking dumb? We couldn't even try and tempt fate. That was a "we give up" long kickoff. Dumb as dog shit. The team did defend well today for majority of the game and some great online desperation but not trying the short kickoff was dumbfounding

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I want success but I am a realist. Until we get a couple of Alpha front rowers, some speed in our backline and our squad has at least 3 elite players like nearly all other teams I will be happy with improvement with a view to be in the mix for finals and preliminary finals in the next few years.
Great, well let's see if your man can improve on his dreadful recruitment since he landed here. So far it hasn't been promising.

denis preston

First Grade
Rumour - potential recruits don't really care about Flanno being a premiership coach & he doesn't have a gravitas like a Benji/Bennett/Robinson etc

He's realising this the hard way...

The club needs to lower their own inflated egos, we've botched a few easy recruits like Turuva & AFB.
What has Benji done to be in the same sentence as Bennett/ Robinson ?

maestro1

Bench
Great, well let's see if your man can improve on his dreadful recruitment since he landed here. So far it hasn't been promising.
Recruitment is not so easy at the moment as there isn't a lot available. Even the great Wayne Bennett got a thooousand knock backs when he was trying to put the Dolphins together. We cannot compete with other clubs as our BOD are the worst at organising TPAs, after football careers, perks, etc. AFB would have had a juicy TPA to go to the Sharks. The Tigers via Richardson would have organised a TPA for Turuva, Deardon and Luki were never leaving the Cowboys, Manu was never leaving the Roosters. But if you want to lump all that on Flanno, go ahead, I know you want to

maestro1

Bench
By the way, Flanno is not my man. I'll support whoever our coach is, until I don't. Once I have supported a coach and given him a reasonable time to build a winning culture, if he doesn't, then I will want him replaced. I don't want Flanno replaced before the season has barely started. I'm not going to prematurely ejaculate before round 1 as you did and have continued doing. Is it too much to ask that you hold your powder, let him do his thing and then act on his results once he has had a reasonable time to succeed. Heck, if he fails, I'll stand beside you baying for his blood...........but that won't be until I have given him reasonable time frame and chance. His tenure is an embryo and should not be judged so early.

I am excited to see some of those young SG Ball big boppers promoted to squad for next year. This is exciting as much as it is no guarantee they will be able to transfer that same dominance to fg. It really is something for us to look forward to and dont we need more of that!

That being said, where are the quality signings or even whispers of them? Fifita to Panthers probably, Turuva that way, Lomax gone, AFB going over there, Fineaufeuiaki off over there, Luki recommitting …. List goes on…Just absolute duck eggs for Flano and his new Dragons and not even a good feel for who or what we are building a team around. Hunt has had it for starters…and wasn’t he demanding we get elite players over the club last year?

Not only that, Su’a is surely thinking about jumping ship. Losses like today would be a nail in that coffin when he stands up but we just cop a loss that felt inevitable against a team that didn’t even fire. If there is a single player we can ill afford to lose its him and would 100% see us go cellar dwellers next year in the ‘rebuild’.

For all your faith put in Shane in these early days the signs are just as bad as ever in reality. How long is the timeline for utilising his contact and getting talent to the ‘new Dragons’? Who stands by and says this is all okay?

Sage63

Juniors
I am excited to see some of those young SG Ball big boppers promoted to squad for next year. This is exciting as much as it is no guarantee they will be able to transfer that same dominance to fg. It really is something for us to look forward to and dont we need more of that!

That being said, where are the quality signings or even whispers of them? Fifita to Panthers probably, Turuva that way, Lomax gone, AFB going over there, Fineaufeuiaki off over there, Luki recommitting …. List goes on…Just absolute duck eggs for Flano and his new Dragons and not even a good feel for who or what we are building a team around. Hunt has had it for starters…and wasn’t he demanding we get elite players over the club last year?

Not only that, Su’a is surely thinking about jumping ship. Losses like today would be a nail in that coffin when he stands up but we just cop a loss that felt inevitable against a team that didn’t even fire. If there is a single player we can ill afford to lose its him and would 100% see us go cellar dwellers next year in the ‘rebuild’.

For all your faith put in Shane in these early days the signs are just as bad as ever in reality. How long is the timeline for utilising his contact and getting talent to the ‘new Dragons’? Who stands by and says this is all okay?
StGeorgeDragons......the new I'm Hornby!

Just a followup to all the negative comments on here regarding Flanno. I can’t believe people aren’t prepared to at least give him a year and then see the results. To be whingeing after 8 games is just pathetic and childish. Flanno doesnt miss tackles, forget to pass the ball, have a shit kicking game or just make dumb mistakes. I personally think hes our best and only chance to move forward.
However to all the negative commentators on here- like Im Hornby- how about you suggest what to do to fix this instead of just whingeing. Lets hear your grand plans so we can at least have a laugh. Its very easy to whinge on here, but takes some real guts to suggest the way out. And dont just say who youd sign- unless you can actually do it

Just a followup to all the negative comments on here regarding Flanno. I can’t believe people aren’t prepared to at least give him a year and then see the results. To be whingeing after 8 games is just pathetic and childish. Flanno doesnt miss tackles, forget to pass the ball, have a shit kicking game or just make dumb mistakes. I personally think hes our best and only chance to move forward.
However to all the negative commentators on here- like Im Hornby- how about you suggest what to do to fix this instead of just whingeing. Lets hear your grand plans so we can at least have a laugh. Its very easy to whinge on here, but takes some real guts to suggest the way out. And dont just say who youd sign- unless you can actually do it

First port of call, goes far beyond the coach, is to overhaul the head of house. The stagnant board and pedestrian CEO are making a mockery of the club. There needs to be a monumental change in the managerial ranks of this club which has a stench like we never have. There job just seems to stop with assigning a new coach every few years.

The coach has to use his connections and pull strings. Throw money that can't be matched in the right areas and put faith in the right youth/journeymen where he has identified it can be done. For instance, David Fifita, although he is a back rower would be a tremendous asset who could be used to complete throw a new layer of dynamics in attack which we have finally found and are losing with Lomax. I would consider using him in this role, and we'd actually come out stronger in that department. Utoikamanu's contract situation leaves hope that a club like ours could pinch him to be one of the two awesome props we need. Not another journeyman but a NSW squad member with youth and talent on his side. We definitely missed the boat on Turuva and more needed to be done there despite his connections to Tigers. I'd now be going in to assess the situation at the Storm as theres no way they can keep Fa'alogo, Meaney and Pap. I'd take any of these options as a huge upgrade. I realise that it is hard for us to attract players but who does the buck stop with in that case?

We can afford the aforementioned players and then some but it seems people buy the narrative that there is no chance or no one available. I'm sorry, so many movements elsewhere and nothing with us. That's not a criticism so much of the coach but he has promised to get us talent and so far we are losing Zac and, well, there's been no retention of our best player. That's slow business at best.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I'd sus out whether Bennett is interested in being part of the coaching or football department with us next year, we know he's got some pull in the player market & one of the greatest rugby league minds...

I'm Hornby

Juniors
It's actually been 9 games now mate, so basically a third of the season which I think is a fair amount of time to at least see not much has changed.

Regardless, I've answered this same question a few times and will do so for you.

Most members on here agree that our BOD stifle the club in terms of recruitment, pathways etc. This won't change until we have a coach who is bold enough to demand that they get these responsibilities and the BOD can basically bugger off.

Therefore it all needs to start with a coach who has the stones to demand that from the beginning of their appointment. Ryles did this and he knew exactly why he needed to do.

Your man the drug cheat did not and has not done this, he was under his sense of delusion that the job at hand would be easier than it has been and that he would recruit players because he coached a team to a premiership win almost a decade ago. He had the chance to demand changes but chose not too and for that reason, this man has no respect from me and deserves none from any dragons supporters, he is a sell out with no moral compass.

TheRev

First Grade
If our kicking game was even 50% better, we win. Cooper Cronk was giving it to Ben Hunt for his atrocious kicking game and lack of game management on our last plays
Atleast this is finally being discussed.. it always starts with 1 commentator who is finally willing to say something negative.. then its 2.. then its 4.. then before you know it.. its public knowledge.. its frustrating that the media still dictate how most of the NRL public feel on matters.. but its how it works..

If he cant fix it over coming months, the pressure will have him thinking more seriously about playing hooker.. and he can still kick from hooker.. that would be super useful.. but then who is our 6.. anyway.. its good its being discussed.

justadragon

Bench
First port of call, goes far beyond the coach, is to overhaul the head of house. The stagnant board and pedestrian CEO are making a mockery of the club. There needs to be a monumental change in the managerial ranks of this club which has a stench like we never have. There job just seems to stop with assigning a new coach every few years.

The coach has to use his connections and pull strings. Throw money that can't be matched in the right areas and put faith in the right youth/journeymen where he has identified it can be done. For instance, David Fifita, although he is a back rower would be a tremendous asset who could be used to complete throw a new layer of dynamics in attack which we have finally found and are losing with Lomax. I would consider using him in this role, and we'd actually come out stronger in that department. Utoikamanu's contract situation leaves hope that a club like ours could pinch him to be one of the two awesome props we need. Not another journeyman but a NSW squad member with youth and talent on his side. We definitely missed the boat on Turuva and more needed to be done there despite his connections to Tigers. I'd now be going in to assess the situation at the Storm as theres no way they can keep Fa'alogo, Meaney and Pap. I'd take any of these options as a huge upgrade. I realise that it is hard for us to attract players but who does the buck stop with in that case?

We can afford the aforementioned players and then some but it seems people buy the narrative that there is no chance or no one available. I'm sorry, so many movements elsewhere and nothing with us. That's not a criticism so much of the coach but he has promised to get us talent and so far we are losing Zac and, well, there's been no retention of our best player. That's slow business at best.

Lets start at the top, what do you suggest we do about the BOD, they have made themselves untouchable so what is your plan ?