What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

SnowDragon

Juniors
I’d like us to “waste” some of our cap getting a young promising halfback, and just playing him in reserves for a while until hunt leaves. Sure, we over pay them and build juniors around them getting combos and developing without the pressure of first grade. Our first grade team suffers a bit, but we push for the future. 1M can go a lot longer securing the future than on a player like Fifita, and if done right the next gen “want” to be in the red V, “want” to stay together and don’t need to be overplayed to do it.

Unsainty79

Juniors
It's going to take a long, long time for us to recruit a big name player. Presently, there is no upside to the Dragons. If we can somehow scrape into the 8, then we become a little more attractive, at least on the sporting side.

We've made some OK signings, who despite our position, have probably improved us a little.

For me the frightening thing is, we are actually playing with heart and trying to compete. It's not about players not showing up for the coach like it was under Griffin & Mary, this is just showing a massive gulf in class.

I hope Fifita goes to Easts, it might free up one of their backrowers.

I’d like us to “waste” some of our cap getting a young promising halfback, and just playing him in reserves for a while until hunt leaves. Sure, we over pay them and build juniors around them getting combos and developing without the pressure of first grade. Our first grade team suffers a bit, but we push for the future. 1M can go a lot longer securing the future than on a player like Fifita, and if done right the next gen “want” to be in the red V, “want” to stay together and don’t need to be overplayed to do it.
Yes, but not too young. We have Kade Reed, who is 18 for the long term future.

I think you get in a pair of promising 22-year-old halves and really put the time into them- this is called COACHING. Hopefully at least one of them becomes a genuine NRL half. If both that's a bonus. It's the only way. We are not going to sign Mitchell Moses!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Didn't we try that with Volkman?

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
who's a young promising halfback we can get realistically? it's all well and good to wish on this, but it's just so unrealistic.
the players available in this scenario are either a) unproven, b) unwilling to come to sit behind hunt

there's an absolute shortage of good halves running around

who's a young promising halfback we can get realistically? it's all well and good to wish on this, but it's just so unrealistic.
the players available in this scenario are either a) unproven, b) unwilling to come to sit behind hunt

There is a shortage. So we have to make one. You get one or two who are promising but unproven (this part is called SCOUTING) then you teach them how to become an NRL halfback (this part is called COACHING).

redv13

Bench

Jack Cogger. Seems to be out of the rotation at Newcastle. Lachlan Ilias but some on here don’t rate him at all but personally I think he was fed a big fat shit sandwich and made the fall guy at Souths instead of the blow torch being put on Walker and Mitchell

Jack Cogger. Seems to be out of the rotation at Newcastle. Lachlan Ilias but some on here don’t rate him at all but personally I think he was fed a big fat shit sandwich and made the fall guy at Souths instead of the blow torch being put on Walker and Mitchell
Both good players. People are way too tough on young halfbacks.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors

Cogger is average, at best. And has been around a fair while (also just moved to Newy so why would they release him without compensation).

I don't mind Ilias, but it's a sorry state of affairs that he's probably the best option

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
I just looked it up. It's not clear to me who knew what and when. Dragons were within their rights to terminate the contract on the basis of the failed medical. But it is horrendous that neither Dragons nor Warriors paid for his surgery.
oh i don't disagree that both clubs handled this terribly, however my point with you is that you have asserted that Volkman willingly tried to hide a shoulder injury, especially when the report from the warriors said an incident happened, and that he was in a no-contact bib (you know, due to the shoulder injury).

- Dragons should've done a proper medical before signing
- how the wahs missed how bad the shoulder is is beyond me
- completely disingenuous to think Volkman is to blame here.

oh i don't disagree that both clubs handled this terribly, however my point with you is that you have asserted that Volkman willingly tried to hide a shoulder injury, especially when the report from the warriors said an incident happened, and that he was in a no-contact bib (you know, due to the shoulder injury).

I coudn't remember the details. I probably only ever knew
1. that he was signed
2. that his contract was terminated after the medical
I must have made a leap in trying to remember what happened. I shouldn't have said he tried to hide the injury.

If the Warriors were so incompetent in their diagnosis, then he should be due compensation. He had 2 years left with Warriors that he agreed to forego for 1 year at Dragons. In the end he gets nothing and neither team looks after him medically. This should be remembered the next time a player is accused of disloyalty to a club. Shame on both clubs.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Agree re Ilias, he got royally shafted by the Bunnies.

It's all gone quite with NAS, after he stated he wants to stay however, he's the one to throw the whole kitchen at.

Re sign Su'A, offer him the C after Hunt leaves, keep Huth.

Money alone doesn't cut it any more so, once the merry go round stops for the top clubs, we target good quality first graders.

The lads are having a go, Flanno can get us into the finals but it's going to take some time.

St Tangles

Bench

It's not he knew he was injured. Wether he knew the extent is debatable.

Saints did nothing wrong hence not being liable for the contract.

Warriors were the ones who are at most fault hence paying for his medical treatment before they were forced to.