What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Mojo

Bench

NRL market watch: Jack de Belin preparing to quit Dragons, Jack Bird’s contract twist​

Jack de Belin says St George Illawarra’s contract stance could force him out of the club, Jack Bird is unhappy with his deal, while the Dragons wait nervously on two other stars.

Michael Carayannis
@mcarayannis

3 min read
May 18, 2024 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://archive.md/L58AJ#share-tools

NRL: Dragons playmaker Ben Hunt recounts a funny exchange with a frustrated Zac Lomax after he ignored the winger's requests for a captain's challenge against the Rabbitohs.
St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin will have to walk away from the club if he wants to a secure a multi-year deal.
De Belin is part of a quartet of Red-V stars - alongside Jack Bird, Jaydn Su’A and Tyrell Sloan - who are in the midst of contract talks about their futures beyond this season.
So far, veteran forward de Belin has been reluctant to take up St George Illawarra’s one-year offer.
At 33, the Dragons have not closed the door on de Belin playing beyond the next 12 months, but they only want to offer a rolling season-by-season deal.
Jack de Belin could join Zac Lomax in the Dragons’ departure round. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

Jack de Belin could join Zac Lomax in the Dragons’ departure round. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images
It leaves de Belin with the very real prospect of joining another NRL club with a move to the Super League seemingly unlikely.
“I was looking for a long-term contract,” de Belin said. “They are keen to go year by year. We’ll see what happens. I still have another two or three years at least.
“It is frustrating but it’s a business. I can understand what the club is doing. That’s why you pay a manager good money.
“My preference has always been to stay in the NRL and be a one-club man. At the same time,
The NRL’s $10m shopping list as free agency deadline looms
my manager has to explore all avenues. I have a young family and I haven’t got long left. I need to make the most of it.”
De Belin is in the final year of a long-term deal after taking up an option in his favour to remain at the club this year on a contract which began in 2021. Only Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh, Jason Nightingale and Matt Cooper have played more games for St George Illawarra than de Belin.
He is now getting his head around the fact that this year might be his last at the club.
“I don’t want to say (that I won’t be here) for sure but at the same time I have to weigh up the options,” de Belin said. “If the club isn’t keen to keep you … I’ve always had the attitude that, if I play good footy, it will take care of itself.

“You can control the narrative (by playing good football). That’s what I’ve been trying to do.
“Initially it (frustrated me) when I didn’t feel like I was getting the same interest in the club wanting me here but at the same time it was good kick up the bum that you’ve got to play good footy.”
De Belin is not the only Dragon yet to secure his long-term future. St George Illawarra are awaiting word from Jaydn Su’A and Tyrell Sloan to see if either of the pair will take up deals the club has put to them.
While Jack Bird is also in limbo with a potential one year offer available. Bird’s 2025 deal is a mutual option – meaning either party can take up the contract.
If Jack Bird takes up his contract option with the Dragons for 2025, it will be at a significantly reduced rate. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

If Jack Bird takes up his contract option with the Dragons for 2025, it will be at a significantly reduced rate. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images
The Dragons have already indicated they won’t exercise their side of the option leaving Bird until June 30 to take up a contract on a significantly reduced rate.

More Coverage​

NRL free agency analysis: Dragons face big decision on Hunt NRL free agency analysis: Dragons face big decision on Hunt
Bird, 29, knows he needs to perform better to try and entice the club to hand him a multi-year deal.
“I still have an option to stay,” Bird said. “I need to start playing good footy if I want a good contract. “I don’t want to stay for that contract, I want to earn to get an extended contract. I need to pull my finger out and play a bit better and earn a longer contract.
“I haven’t spoken to the club yet. It’ll depend on how I play the next few weeks.”
Is it normal for the Club captain to “be involved in conversations” about recruitment plans? I just don’t know. Apparently he’s on the open market come November and he’s previously wanted to leave. Why does he have to be involved? The way the Club relates to Hunt and vice-a-versa has always seemed strange to me.

Parko1310

Juniors
Is it normal for the Club captain to “be involved in conversations” about recruitment plans? I just don’t know.
I would say 100% the captain would have some input at most if not all clubs. Hunt will just want other elite players in the squad anyway, so it's not as if his opinion will be that over bearing, plus Flano and the club have the biggest say in recruitment. They can always just say yes or no to Ben

JDB is between a rock and a hard place. He wants to be a one club man but also needs to provide for his young family. Can understand BOD not wanting to offer him a multi year deal given his age. Jack you have a big decision to make. Personally I hope you take up the year by year option as we cant afford to lose him as is arguably in career best form.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
I think Flanno correctly decided Lomax is better on the wing and he doesn’t have anyone other than Bird ready for the centre position.
Potentially opens up a centre spot for Tamale next season or speculated recruits like Talagi, Averillo, etc. Would love to bring Bostock back and either promote Tamale (assuming he fixes his defence), or go and get someone else. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Holmes finds himself on the outer at Cowboys. Not currently in great form, on big money, Cowboys in a cap squeeze and obviously Val knows Flano. Pure speculation here obviously, but there's plenty to play out so I just hope we get it right

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks for that info DD. Hasn't Millard been with us for only six months, so who is the guy I am referring to who scouted Qld schools for Loko Jr, TPH, King-Togia two years back. Was it one of these three, Mick Chebl, Craig Clifton or Chase Stanley?
Already answered above.

Is it normal for the Club captain to “be involved in conversations” about recruitment plans? I just don’t know. Apparently he’s on the open market come November and he’s previously wanted to leave. Why does he have to be involved? The way the Club relates to Hunt and vice-a-versa has always seemed strange to me.
The dysfunctional nature of our club has no end.

JDB is between a rock and a hard place. He wants to be a one club man but also needs to provide for his young family. Can understand BOD not wanting to offer him a multi year deal given his age. Jack you have a big decision to make. Personally I hope you take up the year by year option as we cant afford to lose you as arguably in career best form.
He will clearly do what is best for him which is within his rights but it does show how little appreciation he has of what the club did for him.

Look elsewhere and you will see players taking pay cuts/ adjusted contracts to stick with their club.

The irony is he is our most consistent player and works hard on the field. I will not deny him that.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If we want real change

I mean seriously top4 real change

u need the players that put their hand up and say this our watch……. let’s grind the shit out of the next couple years

if that means a little under $ …. Well I’m in as success and elite performance is no1 for me !!!!

this sets the tone for success and non negotiables by players sending a message to their team mates

not saying “plse sir……more”

this is the GF sacrifice that every player knows has to happen for success…….it just takes a little pain and some opt out.

I’m guessing that Flano is somewhat testing this with JDB and Birdy and maybe the open footy for Lawrie ?

I need this many tackles
I need this many hitups
I need this many metres
I need this many post contact metres

if you can’t give these stats that the best give well can’t be a top4 team

it’s that f**king simole

you deliver low
We stay low

Flano is not a dumb C€$T

he know exactly what every player needs to deliver as per their stats

otherwise the team falls short

simples