What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Sign a Halfback' Argument

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hey all.

I didn't really want to make this but I feel like a few people who browse through this forum and post every now and again need a little bit of a reality check. For those who already know this, my apologies.

Please... PLEASE stop saying 'sign a halfback'. Stop posting it in threads where we've picked up a new player integral to our side in a different capacity (Paul Vaughan for example), stop posting it in threads to do with coaches or the future, stop posting it where it's not even relevant.

Five-Eighth - Ben Hampton, Nicholas Hynes, Samisoni Langi, Daniel Mortimer, Will Smith, Jamie Soward
Halfback - Mitch Cornish, Tyler Cornish, Pita Godinet, Isaac John, Darren Nicholls, Jeff Robson, Harry Siejka, Riley Travers

These are the halves off contract next year. Tell me which one of these you'd actually sign and be happy with.
The answer is none. So before you start criticising the club about not signing this messiah organising halfback you're so desperately searching for, please do some research.
Unless the club somehow lands the unexpected and fortuitous signatures of Carney or Lolohea, it's not going to happen for next year, we're stuck with what we've got. It's time to have a little more realistic expectations.

getsmarty

Immortal
Unfortunately the tangible is Mary. You have heard of the Midas touch...Mary is the opposite in terms of developing players....Muzby can come up with a slogan...LOL

We have Hutch/Nona/Mann/Widdop

This season we were outplayed in the halves by a Parra side represented by Robson and a winger playing in the halves. On paper our halves were much stronger.

The team is like a computer without a processing chip.

The game tactician is the coaching staff.

Mary could reduce the Storm and Scum halves to jelly.

Enough said.

possm

Coach
It's not the halves - watch how Benji performs for Bennett if he gets to play first grade.
Look how Soward played for Bennett and then how he played for Price.
Look how Widdop performed when he first arrived to the Dragons and how he is playing now.

It's the coach and everything that stinks about of NRL side is to do with Mary's selection choices, game plans and his inability to get the best out of his players.

Sack Mary and hire a real coach and watch how things improve.

mickeylane

Bench
It's not the halves - watch how Benji performs for Bennett if he gets to play first grade.
Look how Soward played for Bennett and then how he played for Price.
Look how Widdop performed when he first arrived to the Dragons and how he is playing now.

It's the coach and everything that stinks about of NRL side is to do with Mary's selection choices, game plans and his inability to get the best out of his players.

Sack Mary and hire a real coach and watch how things improve.
agree word for word

j0nesy

Bench
We have Hutch/Nona/Mann/Widdop

This season we were outplayed in the halves by a Parra side represented by Robson and a winger playing in the halves. On paper our halves were much stronger.

The team is like a computer without a processing chip.

The game tactician is the coaching staff.

Mary could reduce the Storm and Scum halves to jelly.

Enough said.
... and Mcrone

Fingers crossed that Hutch, Nona and/or Mann step up and make the position their own.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hey all.

I didn't really want to make this but I feel like a few people who browse through this forum and post every now and again need a little bit of a reality check. For those who already know this, my apologies.

Please... PLEASE stop saying 'sign a halfback'. Stop posting it in threads where we've picked up a new player integral to our side in a different capacity (Paul Vaughan for example), stop posting it in threads to do with coaches or the future, stop posting it where it's not even relevant.

Five-Eighth - Ben Hampton, Nicholas Hynes, Samisoni Langi, Daniel Mortimer, Will Smith, Jamie Soward
Halfback - Mitch Cornish, Tyler Cornish, Pita Godinet, Isaac John, Darren Nicholls, Jeff Robson, Harry Siejka, Riley Travers

These are the halves off contract next year. Tell me which one of these you'd actually sign and be happy with.
The answer is none. So before you start criticising the club about not signing this messiah organising halfback you're so desperately searching for, please do some research.
Unless the club somehow lands the unexpected and fortuitous signatures of Carney or Lolohea, it's not going to happen for next year, we're stuck with what we've got. It's time to have a little more realistic expectations.

Well said!
The fact that Nona has signed (reportedly so) a 1 yr contract, says to me that this is the direction they will take in 2017. Also, Nona wouldn't sign a 1yr deal without some assurances he'd be playing 1st grade footy, he wouldn't be signing to play for the Cutters, or to just get a STGI jumper. So to me he will play 5/8.
It's also a point that Widdop, Nona and Hutch's contracts expire at the end of next year. 2017 for these guys will be all about securing new deals.
As far as 2018 is concerned, does anyone expect the "cream of the crop" to come to the Dragons? probably not. We will have to seriously rely on what we have, either 1 or 2 of the above and thrown in Jai Field, who does look a prospect (just needs a few Kilos).
'Sign a half back" is not going to happen unless you want one of the above listed as being unsigned for 2017.....no thanks!

Old Timer

Coach
Since 1966 we have won 3 premierships in 50 years and we have had how many test halves?

Key position and our archillies heel.

We never buy a good one nor do we promote and nurture a junior to get to first grade let alone rep football.

If none are available on the market you have to look within your own ranks, but we never do that we buy journeymen and plodders trying to make do.

Our club still thinks that forwards alone will win you the comp and have np comprehension of what a top half will do for you.

If we did know we would potentially have bagged at least 2 more premierships.

So IMO prepare today for tomorrow in case when the cream comes on the market we as usual end up with a black coffee.

BennyV

Referee
We should have had it sorted well before now. Cant wait until the cupboard is bare and then complain we are hungry. We f**ked ourselves, we 100% still need a halfback.

Dea

Juniors
With the performance of our team in 2016 and the quality of McGregor as the person in charge, what No7 will sign with us? Our team management listed all the excuses for why people didn't sign this last year, will they keep rolling out the reasons in 2017 or finally admit our coach and playing strategy/ style, plus the W'gong factor means players do not want to play for us.

watatank

Coach
Reading the same posts does get tiresome but we just have an inability to develop or recruit a viable halves option. If recent history is anything to go by we will probably spend all next season negotiating with Widdop and then realise he's not worth it and then let him go to Super League or wherever. Then we'll hastily re-sign Mann, Hutchison and Nona for another season. Then we'll talk how good Field is and then never give him a go.

With the performance of our team in 2016 and the quality of McGregor as the person in charge, what No7 will sign with us? Our team management listed all the excuses for why people didn't sign this last year, will they keep rolling out the reasons in 2017 or finally admit our coach and playing strategy/ style, plus the W'gong factor means players do not want to play for us.
Whats the Wollongong factor i keep hearing i am curious to know why it continually keeps being brought up.

If players want to live in Sydney and travel to Wollongong to train its not the longest trip in the world so if thats a factor its a rather piss weak one.

Its not the best or the worst place to live i can think of alot worse places you could live and actually have a genuine whinge about it.

Imo players are to precious these days alot of normal people make the commute every day to work and they may not like it but thats life.

I have to fly in fly out for my job and hey its not perfect but it is what it is.

Maybe just maybe the club isn't an attractive propostion to players for other reasons ie A shit coach.

Bench
If I was offered a contract with the saints and manly on the same terms I would choose manly, who would you choose

hazzbeen

Bench
If I was offered a contract with the saints and manly on the same terms I would choose manly, who would you choose
Uhmmm its close Mary or Barret , Mary or Barret Wollongong or Manly , the winner is Barret and Manly ....

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Well said!
The fact that Nona has signed (reportedly so) a 1 yr contract, says to me that this is the direction they will take in 2017. Also, Nona wouldn't sign a 1yr deal without some assurances he'd be playing 1st grade footy, he wouldn't be signing to play for the Cutters, or to just get a STGI jumper. So to me he will play 5/8.
It's also a point that Widdop, Nona and Hutch's contracts expire at the end of next year. 2017 for these guys will be all about securing new deals.
As far as 2018 is concerned, does anyone expect the "cream of the crop" to come to the Dragons? probably not. We will have to seriously rely on what we have, either 1 or 2 of the above and thrown in Jai Field, who does look a prospect (just needs a few Kilos).
'Sign a half back" is not going to happen unless you want one of the above listed as being unsigned for 2017.....no thanks!

Spot on give them as in hutch and nona a fair chancenot just get rid of them when they have a bad game.
Give them a go. Then worry about 2018

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
We should have had it sorted well before now. Cant wait until the cupboard is bare and then complain we are hungry. We f**ked ourselves, we 100% still need a halfback.

Apart from Elgey and Cronk, both of whom we were chasing, what good halves were off contract this year? Mbye and Hastings? We are better off with De Belin.

This year was a shit year for NRL quality halves being off-contract.

Latest posts