What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M2D2

Bench
Id love the 3:30 game to make a comeback. But i have no kids and i f**king HATE monday night footy.
If we get 2 more clubs. that timeslot is most likely to get picked up.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
330 Saturday will rate shit house on fta

They could though have 4 games on a sat

3.30. Fox
5.30. Fox
7.30. Fta
7.30. Fox

If you going to finally go to fta on a sat why go for a day game

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It's like they just don't learn lessons from the past.

Stand alone rep weekends didn't work nor did Saturday arvo footy. (although, they did have Monday night footy before which didn't work out but it has this time it seems.)

If they're going to bring in an extra game, it just has to be on a Sunday night. (6:30pm kick off, have the 6pm news inbetween the 2 games. Hell, broadcast the news from the game!)

Sunday night could potentially become the spot for the number 1 game of the round. The ratings it would generate would be massive.

(and before anyone complains about crowds, its no different to a Monday night game except there is all day to get to the game)

bobmar28

Bench
It's like they just don't learn lessons from the past.

Stand alone rep weekends didn't work nor did Saturday arvo footy. (although, they did have Monday night footy before which didn't work out but it has this time it seems.)

If they're going to bring in an extra game, it just has to be on a Sunday night. (6:30pm kick off, have the 6pm news inbetween the 2 games. Hell, broadcast the news from the game!)

Sunday night could potentially become the spot for the number 1 game of the round. The ratings it would generate would be massive.

(and before anyone complains about crowds, its no different to a Monday night game except there is all day to get to the game)

Massive TV ratings win over AFL. Not working?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
330 Saturday will rate shit house on fta

They could though have 4 games on a sat

3.30. Fox
5.30. Fox
7.30. Fta
7.30. Fox

If you going to finally go to fta on a sat why go for a day game

I had thought the same.

If Fox is going to simulcast all games, then the FTA on the Saturday should be the 7.30pm slot.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
3:30 Saturdays............. f**k me, everyone whinged like old moles 10 years ago to scrap that timeslot and now we go back to it. I don't want to hear people whinging that they can't make it to Leichardt on a Saturday arvo game because their kids are playing footy at the same time if this does become the norm again, people have very short memories.

Exactly. Rose colored glasses.

See how it goes.

RLNY

Juniors
Sorry for this random question, but I was wondering how much contra was included in 9 and Fox's first bid.

docbrown

Coach
I thought Doc mentioned the game would start before 6:30 to disrupt the Nine/Seven news (if on 10).

6:30 on Nine/Seven makes sense though.

You're right, all depends on the network. TBH I can't see 7 or 9 wanting a Sunday evening game. Managing the North/Feebleball states divide is just too hard to do - you can only do if you own both NRL & AFL rights and split the feed.

However Foxtel would go for it - anything to pull viewers away from the F2A's strong ad revenue night.

Really though Sunday is about the news cycle. Viewers are more inclined to 'reset' their news channel on a Sunday after the traditional weekly drop off on Saturdays so by having a strong lead in 7 & 9 have been able to pretty much dominate Sundays shutting 10 out.

So looking at possibilities vs effect -

9 win Sunday arvo doubleheader targeting NSW & QLD - win Sunday nights in those states minimum, most weeks national, pull viewers Monday - Friday for next week's evenings

7 win Sunday arvo doubleheader targeting NSW & QLD - win Sunday nights nationally most weeks, pull viewers Monday - Friday for next week's evenings

10 win Sunday arvo & Sunday evening (5:30pm onwards) targeting NSW & QLD - and tie it together with their strongest programming line up - win NSW & QLD, have a tilt at national, pull Views Monday-Friday.

10 wants all 8-9 games but it really only needs 5 slots - Sunday arvo, Sunday twilight, Monday or Thursday night, Friday night double headers - to have a massive impact against its rivals. The extra 3 games though allows them to target markets more effectively.

Kirky

Juniors
none. I dont see why they would include a 1987 video game as part of their bid.

800px-Konami_Code.svg.png

griff

Bench
I know Saturday night news isn't anywhere near as big as Sunday night, but I would have thought a 4pm Saturday arvo slot would be a lot better for FTA than 3.30.

How are they going to hold NRL viewers between the game finishing and the 6pm news? They are all going to switch over to the 5.30 game on fox and be lost for the rest of the night.

What about 4pm, 6.30pm and 8.30pm for live games? Is 8.30 really too late to kick off on a Saturday? It works in the first two weeks of the finals Alternatively they could both kick off at 6.30 and tv would switch the 6.30 and 8.30 games depending on the market.

Timbo

Staff member
Interesting point on the news cycle. It would be a massive boost for Ten News, if they could put their Sunday news between two games of football. It'd absolutely wreck 7 and 9s stranglehold on the East coast news ratings. And it's true, if you start watching one news by default - ie, because it's between two games of footy - you're more likely than not to stick with that broadcaster.

I know Saturday night news isn't anywhere near as big as Sunday night, but I would have thought a 4pm Saturday arvo slot would be a lot better for FTA than 3.30.

How are they going to hold NRL viewers between the game finishing and the 6pm news? They are all going to switch over to the 5.30 game on fox and be lost for the rest of the night.

What about 4pm, 6.30pm and 8.30pm for live games? Is 8.30 really too late to kick off on a Saturday? It works in the first two weeks of the finals Alternatively they could both kick off at 6.30 and tv would switch the 6.30 and 8.30 games depending on the market.

Saturday is 'garbage day' in newsspeak.

Noone buys Saturday papers. Noone watches Saturday news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts