What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
no idea

but the first rights bid is all confidential with different media outlets all guessing at the total

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Well that proved the warriors don't rate well on a Friday nite

And the game would of come on at 10pm NZ time

Should never be allowed to happen again

typicalfan

Coach
No it doesn't. It means the Warriors don't get enough FTA exposure to create a greater interest. It is simple really. And pre origin is usually a quieter weekend anyway.

The Warriors are entertaining to watch, I hope they get more games on FTA.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I f**kin love how channel 9 edit more harshly throughout todays game

You would have to be an idiot not to realize " this is going to golden point"

So at 18 all at ten to play, everybody knows the score

And gues what it finished at 5.59 pm what a shock

Thanks ch 9

undertaker

Coach
I f**kin love how channel 9 edit more harshly throughout todays game

You would have to be an idiot not to realize " this is going to golden point"

So at 18 all at ten to play, everybody knows the score

And gues what it finished at 5.59 pm what a shock

Thanks ch 9

I know I'm going to sound very repetitive here as I've said the same thing over and over again, but this is simply why delayed telecasts are a thing of the past and something that needs to be done away with at the next FTA rights. It's real amateur hour stuff from a network that claims they do RL the best.

I made the point in another thread about how there was a Sunday arvo match a few years ago where Corey Parker had a kick from the sideline to force the game into golden point. Given that the time was already 5:59pm, I knew he was going to miss it and the Broncos were going to lose as Ch9 would never compromise their 6pm news timeslot. It completely spoilt what was otherwise a very good quality match. The petty argument thrown here on this forum about avoiding radio or other electronic media doesn't cut it here.

Regarding the point about the "harsh editing", nothing was more disgraceful than that Panthers/Tigers Sunday game a few weeks ago, where Ch9 cut to ad break during the ARLC's John Grant's interview. Because Ch9 also were too trigger happy to throw in a whole bunch of ads during the first half, they knew they weren't going to finish the broadcast on time (6pm), so they then cut out bits and pieces of the 2nd half (I believe one 5 minute passage of play was omitted from the broadcast)....not to mention, the ads in delayed telecasts come at the most inappropriate moments when a passage of play starts building up. That gives me the green apple splatters

All this crap from Gus Gould today after the full-time siren sounded at 18-all: "Well, it looks like National Nine News is going to be shifted back":lol::lol: Ch9 would NEVER, EVER have their news bulletin starting after 6pm.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Another reason why delayed telecasts are a thing of the past and something that needs to be done away with at the next FTA rights. It's real amateur hour stuff from a network that claims they do RL the best.

I made the point in another thread about how there was a Sunday arvo match a few years ago where Corey Parker had a kick from the sideline to force the game into golden point. Given that the time was already 5:59pm, I knew he was going to miss it and the Broncos were going to lose as Ch9 would never compromise their 6pm news timeslot.

All this crap from Gus Gould today after the full-time siren sounded at 18-all: "Well, it looks like National Nine News is going to be shifted back":lol::lol: Ch9 would NEVER, EVER have their news bulletin starting after 6pm.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=322832

undertaker

Coach

Thanks for finding that link, El Diablo. You're a champ!

This post from that thread sums up my thoughts, with a slight alteration:

I think the real issue here is channel nine. Not so much golden point football. Nine like to shoe horn a game into their pre defined slot with no allowance at all for anything out of the norm. That is nein to a tee, and its one of the reasons why it needs to be given to a channel that will respect the game.

My alteration would be that: It seems like RL is the only sport that Ch9 doesn't give any leeway to, even though it's the network's cash cow. In the last few years or so, Ch9 have foregone ACA to show the cricket at 6:30pm (which didn't happen for many years, meaning that you missed the first half hour/6-7 overs of an ODI because of bloody ACA), but they weren't prepared to offer RL the same privilege during the 1st QF of the 2007 final series when the Warriors played Parramatta. Neither were they prepared to make concessions for any of the Brisbane double headers over the last few years.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

THE new Australian Rugby League Commission has set an ambitious target of more than $1 billion for its TV rights. A benchmark based, no doubt, on the huge $1.25bn Australian Football League deal completed last year.

The NRL has a lot to learn from the AFL, and is looking at a similar model -- cash and contra, plus a dedicated rugby league channel on Foxtel.

The rights negotiations for the five-year contract starting next year are at an early stage, with Nine and Foxtel eager to retain them over fierce competition from Seven and Ten. It is clear they are worth nothing approaching $1bn, should stay with Nine and Foxtel and should not be split between free-to-air networks.

Not many sports are designed for television. Natural breaks in play mean more commercials can be run without disrupting the live action. The great Kerry Packer identified this for cricket, with its natural break at the end of each over, a minimum of up to 100 breaks during a one-day game.

Similarly, Australian rules football has a high number of goals kicked every game. The round 7 average was 24 goals a game (24 opportunities to run a 30-second ad) on top of three breaks a game at the end of each quarter, plus pre- and post-game segments. TV networks can monetise these breaks with banks of ads, making it more attractive to advertisers.

The NRL averages about 6.5 tries per match. This means the Nine Network can potentially run 6.5 ads per game in addition to those during half-time breaks, plus pre- and post-game coverage. This is the major problem for the NRL comparing itself with the AFL, and makes it harder for a network to pay anywhere near the AFL's $1.25bn rights. The problem is the structure of the game.

Clearly the NRL can't change the game to get it anywhere near the number of breaks that occur in the AFL, although there are some reports of plans to increase breaks. Thus, the NRL rights value should be discounted by close to 70 per cent of the AFL's, based on the number of ads that can run during play. But with Nine traditionally forcing ad breaks and the pre- and post-game hype, we have settled on a 40 per cent discount based on this model, or $750m over five years. This excludes digital rights, which should be worth about $90m to the NRL.

In today's TV landscape, leading sporting rights are worth more. They are great aggregators of audience, provide a halo effect for their networks and connect a TV network with mainstream culture. To lose that connection can be detrimental, as Ten has seen this year in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth after losing its AFL matches.

This year, NRL ratings are up on Foxtel and Nine, the traditional home of the game. It's a good story for both networks.

The NRL can learn from the AFL. Splitting the free-to-air rights across two networks was detrimental. Now AFL is solely on Seven and 7Mate, ratings are up 25 per cent this year, partly because Seven can cross promote the games more. This means Seven has effectively gained a 25 per cent discount on the rights that it paid because ratings have exceeded forecasts.

I was wrong last year when I suggested in Media that the network had paid too much.

So the insight for the NRL is that it should not split its rights across multiple free-to-air channels.

The jewel in the crown is the State of Origin series. Think of this as three Super Bowls for the markets of NSW and Queensland. Most games average more than three million views across both markets per game -- an enormous figure. By our estimates these games are worth the premium to secure, and should be valued alone close to 15 per cent of the total rights (we are suggesting at least $22.5m per year or 15 per cent of the total rights value).

The regular Friday night double-header is a consistent ratings winner for Nine, and flexibility in scheduling allows for blockbuster games every week.

The NRL as an organisation still has a long way to go in promoting its sport for the long term. It only now has a commission to organise itself against club self-interest and politics and is still far behind the AFL for professionalism. For the NRL to want to claim $1bn for rights is way off the mark. It has to crawl before it can walk.

The NRL should stick with its existing partners who have done an outstanding job in promoting the game on their own. This rights deal should be the consolidation of relationships, so five years' time can be the springboard to greater financial reward.

The NRL is fortunate with timing in regard to the present market; Nine/Foxtel want to hold on to the rights, Seven wants to increase its dominance, and Ten is desperate to have a high-rating property outside of the underperforming Masterchef.

The NRL may be in luck to get $1bn if ego and desperation causes inflated bidding above our valuation of $750m. A golden point may be scored.

Mark McCraith is chief operating officer of Maxus

BuffaloRules

Coach
More then half of the money is expected to come from Pay TV, so I dont see how the fact that there are less ads in NRL than AFL should have any impact....

If more people have Foxtel to watch NRL then AFL, then this should be all that matters...

Canucks

Juniors
Please copy and paste dude.

I couldnt figure it out on my iphone

I remember an opinion piece by a media buyer about a week before the AFL rights was published in the Australian.... Said the AFL rights were worth no more than 850 million....

Funny

Status
Not open for further replies.