What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TNA Impact Thread **Spoilers**

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is getting a kick out of TNA's 'Impact' of late. Who else has been able to catch the episodes thus far? They're only an hour long, unfortunately, which means matches aren't able to be as lengthy as I'd like (although I just watched Christopher Daniels take on Shark Boy, Sonjay Dutt, and AJ Styles in a fifteen minute Iron Man Challenge), but the show is really starting to get interesting. Jeff Jarrett, America's Most Wanted, Team Canada, Gail Kim, and Abyss also did a rather hilarious 'funeral' for Team 3-D (the Dudleys) on the episode.

About to download last night's episode, and sometime tomorrow/Tuesday I'll download 'Bound for Glory', which has an asbolutely tremendous card. For those not up to speed, the card is:

Jeff Jarrett (c) vs. Kevin Nash for the NWA World Title with Tito Ortiz as Special Guest Referee
I'm not expecting much from this one, to be honest, although a Raven interference wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Tito Ortiz will undoubtedly get involved, being a kick-ass UFC guy.

AJ Styles (c) vs. Christopher Daniels in an Iron Man match for the X-Division Title
My pick for match of the night. AJ Styles is doing things you wouldn't think possible, and is hands down the finest worker in the world at the moment. These two have half an hour to show us what they've got, and it should be a cracker.

America's Most Wanted (c) (Chris Harris & James Storm) vs. The Naturals (Andy Douglas & Chase Stevens) for the NWA Tag Titles
America's Most Wanted stole the titles on the Impact immediately before Bound for Glory (just finished), and this should be a good match. Would not be at all surprised if Team 3-D got involved to get some revenge against AMW.

Matt Bentley vs. Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin in an Ultimate X Match for #1 X-Division Contendership
Having seen all of these guys in action, I can say that this will be an amazing match. If you're not familiar with the Ultimate X, it's similar to a ladder match, except the belt is suspended above the ring by two ropes that criss-cross the ring to form an X. Petey Williams is my smoky to win. The Canadian Destroyer is amazing.

Monster's Ball 2 - Jeff Hardy vs. Rhyno vs. Sabu vs. Abyss
Should be a good, brutal match. Monster's Ball is basically a four man Hell in a Cell. Not sure who to pick here, but I can't see Jeff Hardy out-hardcoring three incredibly strong and incredibly insane workers. Rhyno or Sabu to win it for mine.

Samoa Joe vs. Jushin Liger
This should be an awesome match. Old school fans will remember Jushin from his occasional appearances for WCW. Samoa Joe is just amazing to watch. You'd think his size would mean he was a brawler, but his technical skills are just phenomenal. Joe to win here, since Liger's a guest.

Sonjay Dutt vs. Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley vs. Roderick Strong in an X-Division Showcase
Another match that should be full of spots. I've not see Aries in action yet, and Strong's only time was a squash at the hands of AJ Styles. Sonjay and Shelley, however, have both been impressive. I'm hoping to see the 'Original Playa from the Himalayas' take this out.

Lance Hoyt vs. Monty Brown
The Alpha Male, Monty Brown, is the NWA's answer to Goldberg - but with talent. This guy reminds me of Brock Lesnar in terms of his in ring style, and the Pounce is just a cool finisher. His mike skills are top shelf as well. Lance Hoyt is very popular at the moment, but I'll back Brown to keep his unbeaten streak alive.

3LiveKru vs. Team Canada
NWA's answer to DX up against NWA's answer to...uh...Team Canada. Since Petey Williams (who usually partners Bobby Roode in Team Canada) is out - I'll back the 3 Live Kru (made up of any combination of Konnan, BG James, and Ron Killings) to take this out. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kip James (Billy Gunn) get involved.

The Diamonds in the Rough (Simon Diamond, Elix Skipper, and Eric Young) vs. Apolo, Shark Boy, and Sonny Siaki
The Diamonds in the Rough should win this at a canter, given that they're all getting pushed. Shark Boy got squashed by Daniels in the Iron Man challenge, and Apolo/Siaki have yet to even appear on TNA television.

TNA Primtime!
It's big news for TNA - Spike TV have given them a two hour prime-time slot on November 2nd to showcase their product. Since Impact was being overlapped by their UFC special, Spike's giving TNA a real chance to show off their product. Should be awesome. The sooner TNA gets the recognition it deserves and starts to challenge the WWE (which is years off, I admit) - it'll be great for the sport. Competition increases quality.

Big Pete

Referee
Looks like a good card. If only they could've had a better main event.

Also I heard rumours of Nash being sent to hospital, any truth to those?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Also I heard rumours of Nash being sent to hospital, any truth to those?

I can't say. I've purposefully not looked at results so I can watch the event without having the matches spoiled. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a work.

I've said it before, but where TNA fails is in its main event. I can buy Jarrett and possibly Raven as legitimate main eventers - but guys like Ron Killings, Kevin Nash, Sabu etc. just don't have that 'aura' about them. Monty Brown's a star on the rise, and I can seriously see him drawing interest from the WWE with time.

Iafeta

Referee
Looks like a grand card really, particularly Styles v Daniels.

Perhaps Nash should be made like into a commissioners role, and they should bring in someone like Sting if he's not still holding onto his WCW deal pay out. Sting could legitimiately wrestle pretty well and he'd be able to work a good match with Jarrett. That way, true wrestling marks won't be flicking off after Styles v Daniels.

Misanthrope

Staff member
any chance of tna on aussie tv

For now, I doubt it, but you never know. Fox8 had the rights a few years back, before TNA were anything more than a cheap alternative to the WWE. Now they've got their six-sided ring, the X-Division, and legitimate draws of their own.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ok, so I've just finished watching the first hour of Bound for Glory, and here are my thoughts.

Samoa Joe vs. Jushin Thunder Liger
Some were touting this as a potential match of the year candidate but, in my opinion, it was nothing better than just being a good match. Liger really is something in the ring, even at his age, but predictably it was Samoa Joe who picked up the win with the Muscle Buster.

Diamonds in the Rough (Simon Diamond, Elix Skipper, and David Young) vs. Sonny Siaki, Apolo, and Shark Boy
Pretty interesting if pointless tag match. There was no backstory established, so basically it was an excuse to use a bunch of workers who wouldn't otherwise make an appearance. That said, everyone invovled put on a great show. In particular Apolo and Elix Skipper impressed me. The Diamonds in the Rough picked up the dusty victory.

Monty Brown vs. Lance Hoyt
Prior to this match Jeff Jarrett was confronted by Monty Brown over the lack of a #1 contender (apparently Kevin Nash hasn't been cleared to work). Jarrett told him he'd have to impress him in his match with Hoyt. A good brawlers bout ensued, with Monty Brown the better worker (I don't much rate Hoyt, personally). Finishers were exchanged but Brown picks up the 1-2-3 with the Pooooooounce! The fans love him, which is further reason for TNA to just turn him face.

3LK (BG James, Konnan, and Ron Killings) vs. Team Canada (A-1, Bobby Roode, and Eric Young)
Pretty entertaining match-up actually. Ever since Kip James (Billy Gunn) debuted they've been teasing a New Age Outlaws reunion, and they continued that tonight. The 3LK were dominant (particularly Konnan) but got screwed out of a win when 'Coach' Scott D'Amore got involved. As Team Canada prepared to beat down Konnan (the only member of 3LK who dislikes James), Kip James rushed out and made the save. Very good segment, with Konnan not entirely convinced of his loyalty despite the fact he beat up Team Canada.

Overall a solid introduction to the show, even if only the second two match-ups had any real story relevance. Will be looking forward to getting the second part (of three) as it kicks off with the Ultimate X match!

any chance of tna on aussie tv

when foxtel signed the rights too get raw,heat,velocity back on air they also signed a contract saying they werent allowed too get any competition on air either which means no TNA no UFC this is why u dont see it anymore

Misanthrope

Staff member
when foxtel signed the rights too get raw,heat,velocity back on air they also signed a contract saying they werent allowed too get any competition on air either which means no TNA no UFC this is why u dont see it anymore

Aargh, that sucks balls. Guess I'll just have to rely on the ol' internet for the rest of my TNA needs (and my T&A needs, for that matter :lol:)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just watched some more of Bound for Glory, here's my thoughts.

AMW vs. The Naturals for the Tag Title
This is essentially a rematch of last night's Impact and a pretty brutal match. Both members of The Naturals look legitimately injured, and the end comes when AMW handcuff Andy Douglas to a guard rail and then double team the sh*t out of Chase Stevens. Solid match.

Monster's Ball 2
Sweet motherfuy Christ, this was awesome. As you'd expect from a match with Sabu and Rhyno in it - it's brutal. I swear to God, I thought Sabu was going to lose his eye. Some insane spots- the best of which was Jeff Hardy leaping off the TNA sign, *over* about six feet of stage, and then down to Abyss on a table. Deadset, he was maybe two inches off decapitating himself. Rhyno picked up the win by pinning Jeff Hardy with the Rhyno Driver.

AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels
Hands down the best match I've ever seen, and I've seen a fair few. A thirty minute iron man match that has just one f**king pinfall in it. Was f**king beautiful. Styles and Daniels are just freakishly talented and would put *any* WWE cruiserweight to shame with what they pulled off in this match. Seriously, if you see one non-WWE match this year, this would have to be it. The psychology was stellar, and the match itself was packed full of action. My match of... well... ever, for now.

10 Man Gauntlet for #1 Contendership to go: Seems Nash's injury was legitimate!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Where are you downloading TNA matches?
http://www.wrestlingchaos.net/forum/index.php?

For those wanting to know how the main event went, Rhyno won the ten man battle royale and looked ragged when Jeff Jarrett came out for the defence. He had interference from Gail Kim and America's Most Wanted - but special guest referee Tito Ortiz (of UFC fame) kept them under control. Rhyno got dominated, but hit the Gore out of nowhere for the 1-2-3! Rhyno gets his first NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

Big Pete

Referee
Jarratt becomes champion on the next show defeating Rhino. What a waste right when TNA had surprised fans they take it away. Jarratt is quickly becoming the HHH of 2003. :(

Misanthrope

Staff member
Jarratt becomes champion on the next show defeating Rhino. What a waste right when TNA had surprised fans they take it away. Jarratt is quickly becoming the HHH of 2003

Yeah, was a bit disappointed to hear that. I think the Rhyno 'switch' was just to give fans something to cheer about since they'd been 'robbed' of their main event by Nash's heart problem

Iafeta

Referee
Are Shane Douglas or Raven still getting it on in TNA?

And, is there any tie between NWATNA and the old National Wrestling Alliance territories that the likes of Flair, Rhodes, Steamboat, Sting made so great or is it coincidence in the names and nothing more?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Shane Douglas is a backstage interviewer now (not too bad, but nothing special) and Raven is currently involved in an angle where he was robbed of his title (the one Jarrett now holds) a month ago, and he's been black-balled by the Championship Committee. That's why he hasn't appeared in ring lately.

As for the title, yes, it's the old National Wrestling Alliance title. TNA are a part of NWA.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can tell you now, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see recently released/quit Christian make the leap to TNA. Not only does he live near where tapings are done (Orlando, Florida) but he's also good friends with members of TNA's Team Canada (such as Scott D'Amore). Torrie.... less certain, since her hiring would undoubtedly mean hiring a Billy Kidman they'd have no use for.

Stone Cold? He could make an appearance sometime, maybe, it really depends on how pissed off he is with the WWE this time.

lockyno1

Post Whore
chriswalkerbush said:
If you're keen to get a jump start on the promotion, I can link you to a place that posts their weekly shows.

YEP, do you have a link?