What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quidgybo

Bench
Saturday Origin is bad for 9, not for fans.
You do realise that what is good or bad for the broadcaster has a direct relationship to the amount of money the game can demand for those rights? That eventually flows down to the fans at some point, whether it be more stars lost to rivals codes, higher ticket prices, fewer teams in the premiership etc etc. The money lost through Saturday Origin might not by itself prevent expansion to Perth or whatever but you have to understand that a very few showpiece matches drive a huge proportion of our income. While the weekly premiership matches might be the game's bread and butter, the big events like Origin and the Grand Final are where we cash in. We simply can't afford to throw away money on these nights.

Leigh

Raiderdave

First Grade
You do realise that what is good or bad for the broadcaster has a direct relationship to the amount of money the game can demand for those rights? That eventually flows down to the fans at some point, whether it be more stars lost to rivals codes, higher ticket prices, fewer teams in the premiership etc etc. The money lost through Saturday Origin might not by itself prevent expansion to Perth or whatever but you have to understand that a very few showpiece matches drive a huge proportion of our income. While the weekly premiership matches might be the game's bread and butter, the big events like Origin and the Grand Final are where we cash in. We simply can't afford to throw away money on these nights.

Leigh

exactly
if we're gunna hord off origin as a seperate package for any broadcaster that may want it
to maximise its earning potential we must listen to the people that will pay big $$ for it ..... I mean Gyngell has said he won't yield where Origin is concerned & anyone who wants it will have to be prepared to pay top dollar for it .. thats the sort of competition pressure we want &
we need this break up of components in our game to ensure we crack the billion mark
if we do it right .. we could go well over this mark

then .. we increase the cap
then we increase the size of the roster
then we can handle player burnout & sub standard fixturing during origin

a lot better

BuffaloRules

Coach
Oh wait - the negative impact for 9. Origin is a massive ratings winner for them on a Wednesday timeslot. Saturday night is a 'meh' timeslot, and nobody cares who wins it.
Saturday Origin is bad for 9, not for fans.

As the original article says, more fans watch the game on Wed night then Sat night, so isnt this better for ther fans?

The television numbers are fantastic. Fans are loving it. We get lost in that thinking it's good for broadcasters, but it's only good for broadcasters because fans love it.

bluesbreaker

Bench
The IC is only so News can get a better exit deal than originally agreed on. They should wait it out and tell them to go jump.

They won't but. They'll sell the tv rights for a song to the Nine - FoxSports cartel. Might even bundle in the radio and digital rights as well.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
http://www.skynewsbusiness.com.au/video/?vId=2471683&cId=Programs&play=true

420_gallop-420x0.jpg

Come on Dave, tell us something we don't know ffs :roll:

POPEYE

Coach
Don't laugh, it's terribly embarrassing to forget your teeth when you go out. I did it the other day when I nicked down to buy a coffee.

shiznit

Coach
im not a fan of gallop...

but i dont get what the criticism is for??

its a decent interview going over key aspects of the NRL's business.

all he's really doing is answering the guys questions.

the only thing i would probably say would be he should have mentioned the NZ aspect of any TV rights deal... as thats an area the AFL doesn't have.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
im not a fan of gallop...

but i dont get what the criticism is for??

its a decent interview going over key aspects of the NRL's business.

all he's really doing is answering the guys questions.

the only thing i would probably say would be he should have mentioned the NZ aspect of any TV rights deal... as thats an area the AFL doesn't have.

Didn't mention anything we didn't know already.

Never mentioned NZ as you say and didn't mention PNG.

He also failed to mention the fact that FTA has RL in front.

Just the same hush hush BS we always get.

It's Sky News Business, not Sky Sports. He is catering to a different crowd, so things you or I know won't necessarily be things people in the business world know. Not everyone out there is a Rugby League fan (poor bastards).

KiamaSaint

Coach
I hear what you are saying regarding NZ and the like, I am hoping he is keeping his cards close to his chest. What does everyone think, anything less that a billion dollars would be a fail?

Last edited:

Angry_eel

First Grade
Problem is this guy doesn't believe in the game IMO. He's just a lawyer placed at the top by News. There is no passion in his speech about the product of his organization. f**k AFL if they are a national game, We're an International comp already and have offers from another international country wanting to join the Comp.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The consistent Gallop bashing over something not yet in his control is f**king painful.

Give up.

Brutus

Referee
How can anyone put shit on Gallop after the last media deal he oversaw.

I just don't get it.

Great interview.

BDGS

Bench
Just watched the interview.

Great interview, Gallop has represented himself and the NRL well once more. Great work mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts