What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wait is finally over

L

legend

From leagueunlimited:

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="95%" align=center border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td></td></tr> <tr> <td align=left width="100%">Long suffering NRL fans will have good reason to smile this morning with an announcement that a NRL game will finally be available on both the PC and PS2 platform with a release date yet to be confirmed but it's thought the game will be available by Christmas. There is no word on whether the game will be available on XBox or Nintendo Game Cube.
The game will include all fifteen NRL teams with complete bios and player stats, along with a complete list of all stadiums, including The Cauldron, Lang Park. Other features include player fatigue, send offs, virtual judiciary. There will also be several competitions to choose from including a full NRL season, State of Origin, English Super League, World Club Challenge and Test matches.
It has been six years since a quality Rugby League game has been released and the fans have been salivating at the thought of finally being able to emulate or destroy their favoured and most hated teams.
The game will have a simulation and arcade mode with the simulation mode far more complex with drop balls, player fatigue, penalties and player injuries.
The game represents a quantum leap forward in progressive thinking for the people who run the NRL as the fans have been crying out for a game via a bombardment of e-mails and online petitions. Could it be that someone behind the closed doors at Bent Street is finally starting to listen to the wishes of the fans?</td></tr></tbody></table>

O

ozbash

bloody good stuff, we will be able to have games amongst each other,we will have a "billy" each to do with what we will,we will be able to suspend our fav dragons......

there is a game on the shelf at the moment,its a coaching game with wayne bennets face (yea,pretty scary :D) on the front cover, i think the name was digi league or sumfing. there was cricket and union ones as well.

L

legend

The possibilities for this are endless, but modem/LAN play needs to be a feature of the new game, along with a gaming zone, similar to the msn one. Imagine what could happen?

Who is developing it? If it's EA Australia then dont get your hopes up. For those interested in net-play try V8 Challenge &amp; you'll see the best they have to offer by way of netcode.

I thought it was HECS. They make memory cards or something for the nintendo. I have heard mixed reports about them, but i really don't care, a new game is coming out andi can't wait!

I hope we get to control the refs, id love to put Bill at Parra Stadium and blow 20 penalties against the eels and put 6 in the bin hehe

Moffo.

OK, rambles from other people on the game..........By the way, has anyone seen the ad? I want to see what the early graphics look like. Hope it ain't full of stick figures like ARL96 (worst RL game ever)

<table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=3 width="95%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td valign=top align=left width=150><span><a target=_top name=230715></a>James_NZ</span>
<span>Junior League Player
foot1.gif

nzwarriors.gif

</span>
</td> <td valign=top width="100%" height=28> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td width="100%"> <span>Posted: 10 Jul 2002 10:36<span></span> Post subject: </span></td> <td valign=top nowrap align=right> </td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2> <hr> </td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2><span>It was official ages ago.
HES began planning the game at the beginning of the year with out any if all people knowing and then the marketing manager said it was official and they were waiting for HES to give them all the info needed so they could put up a web site on NRL.com.
I wouldn't go to HES' site because it has nothing and if you e-mail them they will only say that the NRL has the info and that they are waiting for them to put it on a web page.
The page was meant to up a long time ago, but obviously it isn't. And I have been getting no reply from my source from the NRL so I don't know what's happening with it.
It will be for sale in Aus,NZ and UK.
Also A Transfer system is most likely to be in it so you can change the teams yourself.
I have been following the game for a while now and I have been keeping in contact with Scott (The Marketing Guy) and if I get any info I will post it a.s.a.p
Hopefully that helped you's all out a little.</span></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
<table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=3 width="95%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td valign=top align=left width=150><span><a target=_top name=230611></a>LePantherJones#7</span>
<span>NRL Bench Warmer
foot5.gif

kangaroos.gif

</td> <td valign=top width="100%" height=28> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td width="100%"> <span>Posted: 10 Jul 2002 08:53<span></span> Post subject: Official- New Game in todays Telegraph</span></td> <td valign=top nowrap align=right> </td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2> <hr> </td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2><span>It official! A new game, named NRL 2002 will be on the shelves before Christmas. The game which has a whole page article on Page 28 in todays Telegraph has all the stadiums including Lang Park and Colonial Stadium. It also has such featues as injuries, subs, crowd influence, high tackles, send-offs and from what I gather, brawls. Personally, I can't wait and the NRL also commented saying they had a huge number of emails and petitions from web sites (ours being one of them).
Keep it up people, we can take some of the compliments for the game being made in the first place.
Penrith RLFC Member #8105</span></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

I want to play now!!!!!!!!

Moffo.

Or is it HES??

I think its Home Entertainment System, ill see if their website has anything up, if it does, ill post it back here ;)

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
We have to wait till christmas? I want to play now!
The way gaming has come on since 96 this is going to be bigger and better than anything league has seen. I've just booked my christmas present.

Well, i think this calls for some reminiscing about old league games. All apologies if people get bored, but bugger ya!

ARL96 - This game was a lump of shite. I can't believe that people actually enjoyed it. The controls were faulty, the play was slow and it seemingly took 1/2 an hour to run 10 metres. The commentary was abhorrid, listening to Paul Vautin saying "He hooked that kick like my three iron" 100 times during a 2 minute match got very annoying. On the plus side, it did have all the teams in it. That is pretty close to the only plus. They only played at one ground, and the 'Super League' clubs had all fake names. If you dared to change the names, the commentators would only refer to them as the 'second rower, number 11 etc etc'. I really don't have a lot of good comments to make about this game, it sucked terribly. The fend button made the game a joke, you could just pass the ball from dummy half, out to your centre, put the fend on and run straight through and score. CRAP! The whole game was tremendously gay

ET's Rugby League - Much Better. Anyone who wants to argue that ARL 96 was better has rocks in their head. The graphics were crappy, but it was made in 1990 after all. There was one option where all the players were white, and the other one, where they were all black hehe. Anyways, the gameplay rocked. It moved smoothly, you could be creative, the game was hard enough on level 7 and played got sin binned and sent off. You could change names, and even their colours. You could play international teams, including PNG and France. You could even play on different pitches, including ice, mud and snow. I can't believe how much time i spent on this game, but it was worth it. Best game of league

English Super League - I gave this game about 5 seconds. It was so shite it wasn't funny. The gameplay was crap, and the players just looked ridiculous. I thought i was playing NBA Jam 96, when their heads started getting bigger. Dumb game, nothing else to say about it.

I just hope this new game is real good. The long suffering league fan needs a good league game. It will sell really good, and may even give the game some outside exposure in other countries. I know we have had this before, but here are what i mainly want

- All the different stadiums
- Brawls, sin bins and send offs
- Player Trade system
- Ability to control the ref
-Ref being influenced by the crowd at home games
- Wide range of teams, all of which can be changed
- Playing conditions that change. I want to play in the mud at the SCG please!
- Old historic games, where you can change the finish (eg: famous old grand finals)
- Full player lists
- Training facilities
- Decent graphics, don't have to be brillant though

Anything else?

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Classic matches would be awesome. I'd like to see them steal an idea out of Shane Warne cricket. You were put in a certain situation in a famous match and you had to complete that situation to get to the next classic match. The starting on was where you were in the 95/96 World Cup final. You were Sri Lanka at 44/2 and had to chase about 240 to win the World Cup against Sri Lanka.

For an example you could play in the 2000 Brisbane v Cronulla semi final. You play as Brisbane and have to make up the huge half time deficit to win the match. You could go back to the 98 Parra v Bulldogs semi and you start off 20 minutes from fulltime and have to get the Doggies home. The possibilities are endless and it would be good fun.

And some more 'silly' suggestions....

- Ability to control signage at the ground (eg: Make all the billboards at Belmore oval have Kebab 2000 ads on them haha)
- Ability to control a fan if your team is losing, jump the fence and attack the ref
- Player Drafts
- Control the number of people in the ground, like in the old FIFA games, where if you were playing a lowly club in a game, the crowd would be half full
- Design your own fan (eg: At saints games, have 40,000 truckies and Hugh Grant lookalikes on the hill ;))
- Needs chants
- Judicary mode, where you can pay off Jim Hall
- Fan days
- Biffo mode, where every tackle ends up in a punch up
- Biffo scrum mode, where every scrum ends up in a barney
- Design your own team, we could have team LWOS!
- Ability to play it over the net, using your created team against others
- Juice up Mode, fully endorsed by Robbie O'Davis, Rodney howe, Wayne Richards, Craig Field, Kev McGuiness etc etc lol (I think they would just call it turbo mode lol)

Moffo

L

legend

Moffo, I have been on the phone with the company who are developing the game to get a few insights on what features the game will have.(pretty impressive eh?)

The guy told me that internet/LAN play wouldnt be available until the second release as enhancements would be made as the game became more popular.

Also, they need to sell 30,000 copies of the first release to turn a profit but they are looking at the second and third releases before they start to make some serious money which means the NRL are fair dinkum about this game being a long term solution for the cravings of Rugby League fans in Australia, New Zealand and the U.K.

You heard it here first.

Legend, living up to your name i see lol

Good to hear, i mean, we just don't want one and then never see it again for another 6 years. I think selling 30,000 won't prove to difficult, as long as people don't start burning themselves copies and doing all that crap. I hope people realise that its better for them to buy it, they are in effect helping rugby league.

What have u heard about the graphics mate? Im assuming you saw the pictures, is there anything u can tell us about the game?

Moffo.

L

legend

The graphics look fairly standard but I was assured they would improve by the release date and there will be a free version on a much smaller scale available for download on the internet.

I think the main thing they are looking for is credibility and once some of the larger companies see the game is selling like hotcakes, they may be interested in a joint venture or developing their own, but as I said earleir, it's a very positive step.

Dog

Juniors
FYI guys, HECS (Home Entertainment Combined Systems) is a company recently bought out by SONY. Should be interesting to see the game after it's finished - todays Pg28 article in the Telecrap showed some very early version graphics - they look alright, but it was only the Storm vs Manly they showed so meh.

Dog

Latest posts