What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Witcher

shiznit

Coach
I’m a couple episodes in... I don’t know WHAT the f**k is going on... but trying to hang in there..

Apart from the steep learning curve the biggest issue i have is every time The Witcher speaks I keep getting flash backs to Justice League and that terrible CGI moustache going.... “Do you bleed...” :joy::joy:

axl rose

Bench
I’m a couple episodes in... I don’t know WHAT the f**k is going on... but trying to hang in there..
I enjoyed episode 2 a lot more, with the focus on Yennefer. Though with 3 timelines going on it still gets confuzzling.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Episode seven is definitely the strongest episode so far. The three disparate timelines finally come together (although not the characters themselves) and there is a real sense of scale that was lacking in the more episodic 'monster of the week' episodes.

It feels like the show is settling into the more coherent narrative structure that it will continue with in season two.

It's a shame there is only one episode left before a long (2021) wait!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Just finished it. Was enjoyable enough.

Not a big fan of the mixed timelines, out of sync narrative. It's not that they do it badly, but I've never liked it in general and it always feels like a lazy attempt to make a simple story seem more complicated than it is.

Aside from that it was decent. Definitely a slow burn, but the action was better than I expected. Maybe if I had read the novels or played the games I'd have liked it a bit more, but as it is, outside of Yennefer, there aren't any characters I'm genuinely invested in yet.

shiznit

Coach
I enjoyed episode 2 a lot more, with the focus on Yennefer. Though with 3 timelines going on it still gets confuzzling.

I only f**king realised it was 3 different timelines in episode 4... :joy::joy:

I’m like... “hey that’s that wizard dude from the burning castle... why the f**k doesn’t he tell the Witcher about the little blond princess hiding in the forest...”

20mins later I’m like....

images

I’m such a f**king genius... :joy::joy:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors

I’m like... “hey that’s that wizard dude from the burning castle... why the f**k doesn’t he tell the Witcher about the little blond princess hiding in the forest...”

images

Same.

axl rose

Bench

I'm guilty, I have to cheat to know what going on. I've given up on Cirilla for now, 2 timelines are enough for my small brain.

But still that's hilarious.

Last edited:

Game_Breaker

Coach

images

They did that on purpose
I thought it was one timeline for the first few episodes

Misanthrope

Staff member
I only picked up on it because of a throwaway line in episode two where Renfri mentioned the “lioness of Cintra” having just won a battle at Hodgepass (sic).

That was the battle that Ciri asked her grandmother about in episode one. The one that had famous songs sung about it.

After that, I listened extra careful for hints as to why when each timeline was taking place. There are quite a few, but they’re all throwaway lines until the wedding episode.

axl rose

Bench

Episode 4 is the most confusing yet. Massive jump ahead 30 years for one character, can they really not just put the year on screen. What the..why is someone chomping down on Queen Calanthe? I'm lost.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Episode 4 is the most confusing yet. Massive jump ahead 30 years for one character, can they really not just put the year on screen. What the..why is someone chomping down on Queen Calanthe? I'm lost.

Lol yeah it does seem pretty nuts.

I can kind of understand why they're doing it because otherwise important characters wouldn't be introduced until the end of the season, but really feel like they could have done it in a way that wasn't so choppy and clearer for the audience.

I think Ciri's timeline is the main issue. Yennefer and Geralt's timeline could have been seamlessly intertwined but Ciri's really screws the pooch.

Maybe they should have just focused on Geralt and Yennefer in season 1 with the search for Ciri being the focus of season 2.

But this is coming from a non book/game POV so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Lol yeah it does seem pretty nuts.

I can kind of understand why they're doing it because otherwise important characters wouldn't be introduced until the end of the season, but really feel like they could have done it in a way that wasn't so choppy and clearer for the audience.

I think Ciri's timeline is the main issue. Yennefer and Geralt's timeline could have been seamlessly intertwined but Ciri's really screws the pooch.

Maybe they should have just focused on Geralt and Yennefer in season 1 with the search for Ciri being the focus of season 2.

But this is coming from a non book/game POV so maybe there's something I'm missing.

I’m on board with this. Ciri’s story felt like an afterthought most of the time, with her just blundering from encounter to encounter. Very few characters in her arc got any development (looking at you, Dara).

Their time would have been better served focusing on Yennefer and Geralt’s stories, with the siege from episode one (and Ciri’s proper introduction) happening in the finale.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I’m on board with this. Ciri’s story felt like an afterthought most of the time, with her just blundering from encounter to encounter. Very few characters in her arc got any development (looking at you, Dara).

Their time would have been better served focusing on Yennefer and Geralt’s stories, with the siege from episode one (and Ciri’s proper introduction) happening in the finale.

Yeah that's pretty much where I was thinking. Seems like Geralt's story intertwined a bit with that kingdom as well so the siege and subsequent deaths would have meant more (dare I compare it to Ned getting his noggin lopped off in GOT?).

Even having the siege in the penultimate episode and Geralt's reaction to the aftermath in the finale would have been better.

But now that Geralt and Ciri have found each other and the timelines are joined it will be interesting to see how they work season 2.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah that's pretty much where I was thinking. Seems like Geralt's story intertwined a bit with that kingdom as well so the siege and subsequent deaths would have meant more (dare I compare it to Ned getting his noggin lopped off in GOT?).

Even having the siege in the penultimate episode and Geralt's reaction to the aftermath in the finale would have been better.

But now that Geralt and Ciri have found each other and the timelines are joined it will be interesting to see how they work season 2.

The deaths of several key Cintra characters would definitely have been more impactful if we’d met them and gotten to know them over several episodes before that battle/siege that opened the series.

Still, with season one based on short stories rather than any one novel, I’m keen to see what season two does with a more refined story as its basis.

axl rose

Bench
Jaskier is so annoying. I guess he's supposed to be but its unbearable. His singing makes my ears bleed.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the critics on this one. Jarring cuts with no transitions. Some poor dialog, and tone. It's all over the place. GOT used a map and good establishing shots to explain where things were in location to each other. Explained the political landscape and different motivations and threats. And used other characters to set up intro to other characters. It was all so well laid out. This isn't.

Pretty typical of a Netflix series, there is just no real talent in the writing and direction, especially with a hack like Lauren Hissrich in charge. Perhaps with the 200 million Netflix spent on David Benioff and DB Weiss they can lend them a hand with next season.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Jaskier is so annoying. I guess he's supposed to be but its unbearable. His singing makes my ears bleed.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the critics on this one. Jarring cuts with no transitions. Some poor dialog, and tone. It's all over the place. GOT used a map and good establishing shots to explain where things were in location to each other. Explained the political landscape and different motivations and threats. And used other characters to set up intro to other characters. It was all so well laid out. This isn't.

Pretty typical of a Netflix series, there is just no real talent in the writing and direction. Perhaps with the 200 million Netflix spent on David Benioff and DB Weiss they can lend them a hand with next season.

I would rather that the show get cancelled than have those two no-talent hacks anywhere near it. They’ve proven they cannot be trusted with an ounce of creative freedom.

Latest posts