What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wrestler and Gran Torino

HevyDevy

Coach
Two movies I desperately want to see.

Anyone seen either?

Oh yeah, and I saw Taken last week: great movie.

That is all.

Godz Illa

Coach
Gran Torino yes. Clint Eastwood, say no more. I had a moment of clarity the other day watching A Perfect World... the internal noise suddenly turned down low and a cloak of sureness fell down upon me and I realised that Clint Eastwood is my favourite director and actor. I don't know why I hadn't realised it sooner, but nevertheless I am quite adamant it is true. Clint is the man.

Btw I know nothing more about this film other than Clint directs and stars, which is good enough for me.

cheese

Bench
Seen both

The support actors in torino are pretty week IMO ....still a very good movie, without being 10/10 .... Still loved it

The wrestler .....rourke kills it, and has to be close to a certainty for the oscar ..... a depressing type movie though, with a bit of an iffy ending, but still excellent.

Torino is the more enjoyable movie to watch, whether it's technically better though, I doubt it.

HevyDevy

Coach
It's just nice to see a few movies out that seem to have decent story lines. There has been a lot of crap recently.

Big Pete

Referee
I saw the Wrestler last week and I found myself dissapointed with it. Thinking back I believe my opinion stems from the fact the movie is far too familiar with other films and documentries I've seen regarding wrestling (Beyond the Mat being my prime example) and while this movie had it's share of iconic moments (The CZW match with Necro Butcher comes to mind) I never felt for his character or compelled to see what happened next. Mind you I felt the ending suited the movie perfectly but sadly when I think of the Wrestler I won't think of it as a fantastic movie rather than a good portrayal on the life of a proffesional wrestler.

elyod138

Bench
Seen both, they were decent but had some flaws.

I preferred Milk, Let The Right One In and Slumdog Millionaire out of the movies released late in 2008.

Last edited:

AILD

Bench
Seen both, they were decent but had some flaws.

I preferred Milk, Let The Right One In and Slumdog Millionaire out of the movies released late in 2008.

let the right one in...is f'ing tops.

ive seen both these movies:

gran torino: the acting by the asian people really let it down for me...i thought it was poor. also the story was silly IMO. not too bad...but if you like clint eastwood you will get a kick out of it i guess.

the wrestler is pretty damn good...not as great as some say....but still really good.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Saw 'The Wrestler' today. I thought it was great. I loved the story itself and it was very well acted on all parts; but I am also somewhat familiar with that level of wrestling here in Australia, so seeing how realistic that side of it was presented was also interesting.... Also the sound track is KILLER!!!!! Quiet Riot, Scorpions, Ratt, Gunners! There's reason in itself to see it.

Parra Future

Juniors
Seen Gran Torino. If you like Clint Eastwood, you'll love this movie. You may be upset with the ending however. You'll understand after you've watched it. I thought it was classic Clint Eastwood.

One good line of Clint Eastwoods out of the movie went something like :-
"Have you ever felt that you just f*cked with someone that you shouldn't have? Well thats me".

Jono078

Referee
Gran Torino came out today, I havnt heard a lot about it but I seen Clint on David Letterman then watched a trailer for it.

Looks good IMO, keen to go watch it.

Eelmatta

I saw The Wrestler great movie I liked it, but damn is it depressing. Rourke was award winning and the Marisa Tomei scene niiiice.

Once Dead

Bench
I saw The Wrestler with a few friends last night.....all I have to say is, no wonder people are raving about Rourke and no wonder why people are rating the movie highly.

Rourke IS the Ram, every bit is realistic and you can tell that he isn't entirely far from that exact character in real life.

The filiming technique is gritty and raw and the story is much more hard hitting and brutally honest than I thought it was going to be.

Suffice to say, the ending was perfect.....I had almost read a spoiler by accident so had an inkling about it but luckily it didn't ruin it.

One thing I've gotta say is that this movie had the entire audience eating out of the palm of it's hand.....the story had everyone in silence, save for the comedic moments and graphic detail.

Great movie. Great acting. Marisa Tomei is a great addition to this movie too and not just because she strips. The parallels between Cassidy and the Ram are there for all to see.

Jono078

Referee
Watched Gran Torino today.

Bloody loved it, some stuff dragged on a bit but it was really good.

Godz Illa

Coach
Yeah I finally caught Gran Torino on the weekend. As a Clint fanboy I went in expecting to enjoy it, but it still managed to surprise me. The plot appears fairly standard but along the way it sort of unravels and muses on some deeper themes... life and death, ageing, family, love, and sacrifice. And the politically incorrect quips were pretty fkn hilarious. Another Clint classic.

I saw The Wrestler great movie I liked it, but damn is it depressing. Rourke was award winning and the Marisa Tomei scene niiiice.

Great movie. I didn't care much for the scene with him fighting the nutter with the stapling gun, but I guess the point was to show how far he'd fallen from his glory days.

And Marisa Tomei was very nice....

Latest posts