What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts: Benji to Hooker

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I was just thinking this,

With Peter Wallace going so good at the Panthers, why not give Benji a shot at No. 9. He has vision (more than Rein), can kick, can pass, is dangerous with a quick play of the ball.
It could even work with him as a bench triangle player. I know there are other halves that have transformed themselves into very competent 9's. Joey played at hooker for Australia and NSW early in his career.

The only question would be his defence.

Just a thought and I wanted to get other peoples opinions.

MilanDragon

Juniors
It's funny.. I had this exact thought earlier today.

However I don't think it'd work.

1) as you mentioned his defence.
2) His key attribute was his pace and creativity especially on the fringes, playing hooker I don't think he would get as open a playing field.
3) simply put, its time to look to the future.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors

2) His key attribute was his pace and creativity especially on the fringes, playing hooker I don't think he would get as open a playing field.

Yeah, you are probably right. He has always been one of my all time favorite players and it is just disappointing to see him bow out after a horror season.

And I totally agree re. looking towards the future

MilanDragon

Juniors
Worst suggestion i've read on this forum.

It wasn't even a suggestion.. Just a thought he had.

Why shoot the guy down for it? After all it's a forum to air some thoughts.. Maybe a few of your points as to why it wouldn't work would be great!

I haven't been on this forum that long.. But there is a lot of stuff that I've read on here more painful than this idea. (But as I said above I definitely don't agree with it).

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

Despite your objections I can see no problem Benji doing Marketo's job for the short time he gets. When you look at the length of this week's injury list it just seems a waste that Benji is being "rested".

MilanDragon

Juniors
Despite your objections I can see no problem Benji doing Marketo's job for the short time he gets. When you look at the length of this week's injury list it just seems a waste that Benji is being "rested".

My interpretation of the thread is Benji as a long term option.. Like next season, not just this weekend

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I was just thinking this,

With Peter Wallace going so good at the Panthers, why not give Benji a shot at No. 9. He has vision (more than Rein), can kick, can pass, is dangerous with a quick play of the ball.
It could even work with him as a bench triangle player. I know there are other halves that have transformed themselves into very competent 9's. Joey played at hooker for Australia and NSW early in his career.

The only question would be his defence.

Just a thought and I wanted to get other peoples opinions.

Not for me he's not good enough in defence and his body wouldn't be able to handle having to do 20 or more tackles in the middle of the ruck. Every week

Dragsters

First Grade
Not sure he would work as a full time hooker, but I suggested earlier this season and I still reckon he would make valuable bench triangle, super sub, utility player.

Far more versatile than mccrone, havilii or Marketo and in short stints he would provide way more X-factor than all three of these guys put together.

Dragonscales

Juniors
It wasn't even a suggestion.. Just a thought he had.

Why shoot the guy down for it? After all it's a forum to air some thoughts.. Maybe a few of your points as to why it wouldn't work would be great!

I haven't been on this forum that long.. But there is a lot of stuff that I've read on here more painful than this idea. (But as I said above I definitely don't agree with it).

I wasn't shooting him down. I was conveying my opinion.

Gareth67

First Grade
Milan Dragon is right , time to move on . We need to give a player the opportunity to show his wares , one whom will be at the Club next season , the fans have had enough of the ' deadwood ' that been floating around the place .

Turk

Juniors
Cant believe we dont have a replacement for Rein. Just acouple of years ago we had so much depth at hooker with Damien Cook and Cameron King. Maybe Drew Hutchison could make the move to hooker or Jackson Hastings??

St Georgio

Juniors
Mathew Elliott was asked the question whether Benji's was finished from the NRL, his response was if Benji sets his standards lower(lower contract around 180k a yr), he could be useful as a back up player, so maybe hooker/half/5 8, but I guess it depends on two factors..whether he can handle playing second fiddle and if an NRL team is willing to do that, including us!

grouch

First Grade
If Blake Green departs Melbourne, Benji would undoubtedly have an amazing final season with the Storm and possibly win a comp.

deansykes

Juniors
I think we need to let bygones be bygones... why hold on to someone that has done very little in the time he's been here. As he said in the interview... dragons owe him nothing, better off letting him go and blooding young guys.

drago brelli

Bench
Comparing Peter Wallace to Marshall. How much of these two players have you seen? Wallace is tough, he can take a hit playing as a 9, he goes to the line when he has to. Wallace is prepared to take a big tackle for the team when he has to. The number of times Marshall has done this you could count on a butchers hand. Marshall will probably play on but as a 6 and may be in England. He should phone Jamie Soward.