What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston - One Season Too many

mickeylane

Bench
Jobathan Thurston looks like he's playing one season too many - definitely not the player he was earlier mast year - calling it now ..
We have the best halves combination in the NRL closely followed by CRONK/KEARY and then Who cares..

Crush

Coach
I think most champions play one season too long. Thats how they know when to retire, they stop being able to dominate.
Mick Ennis was one exception from recent times, he retired on top of his game after winning the comp.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The same thing was said about Roger Federer a few years ago.
Where is he now?
As for JT, he almost single handedly won them the fame afainst the Broncos in rd2. Yes his form is down but that is more in line with the poor and soft form of the Cows forwards. Compare that to our forwards who are laying the platform for our halves.
It's a long season, JT, like Roger Federer will bounce back but agree this would have to be his final season.

Cowboys seem to have fallen for thier own publicity forwards wise.
They seem to use Scott, Cooper, Taumulolo as passing forwards, with no one really putting thier hands up to do the hard yards.
I think I saw Taumulolo do one hard running hit up last night, I lost count of how many times Scott got the ball and passed out the back.

SBD82

Coach
The same thing was said about Roger Federer a few years ago.
Where is he now?
As for JT, he almost single handedly won them the fame afainst the Broncos in rd2. Yes his form is down but that is more in line with the poor and soft form of the Cows forwards. Compare that to our forwards who are laying the platform for our halves.
It's a long season, JT, like Roger Federer will bounce back but agree this would have to be his final season.
Agreed. Writing off a champion has made many men look foolish.

Gareth67

First Grade
Jobathan Thurston looks like he's playing one season too many - definitely not the player he was earlier mast year - calling it now ..
We have the best halves combination in the NRL closely followed by CRONK/KEARY and then Who cares..

mickeylane , buddy your playing with fire ! :fire: Have you ever wondered why Rome burned ? It was because Nero gave a box of matches to some chap named Thurstononis - true story !

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
mickeylane , buddy your playing with fire ! :fire: Have you ever wondered why Nero burned Rome ? It was because some chap by the name of Thurstonios gave him a box of matches .
Lol I like that!!
But truely Thurston looks tired and slow motion and only round 3 - definitely a champion not bagging him just saying he won't be getting any better

Gareth67

First Grade
Lol I like that!!
But truely Thurston looks tired and slow motion and only round 3 - definitely a champion not bagging him just saying he won't be getting any better

I realise that your not bagging the man mickey , but champions have a habit of always coming back . Still I see what you mean , he does seem to be that bit slower , however he still possesses the the footy smarts .

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
JT may be playing busted still, from last year.
He has a big heart.

I commented at the start of this year that l would be surprised if he’d last the whole season.

Time has a way of telling us.
He’s had many serious injuries so he has done extremely well to last this long.

Whatever he does, good luck to him.

watatank

Coach
He's returning from injury. Actually all their key ball players are just coming back. Morgan came back last week and Coote will probably be back next week. That should help.

since77

Juniors
Must admit I thought 1st 2 games he looked tired. That's something for a coach and fitness staff to manage though. And tired is different to being 'past it'. I'm sure he's still just as capable of dominating a game as he ever was. A goalpost stopped him from a matchwinning try assist against the Broncos.

Life's Good

Coach
Thurston just needs a few more miles and he will come good. He still had enough touches that demonstrate his class.
If I was North Qld I’d be more concerned with the other JT in their side. 2 weeks in a row and he looks way off his form from the back half of last year.