What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers sign corey payne?

simon says

First Grade
Im surprised you say he is sh*t.....I liked him a lot.

Loved his agression.......always in the thick of it when he came on.

And as I played virtual games I noticed that in the very limited time he got he came away with bloody good stats.

simon says said:

And as I played virtual games I noticed that in the very limited time he got he came away with bloody good stats.
His problem is consistancy, he is either too aggressive which results in penalties at the wrong time, or he is a butter fingers or just not involved when needed..

There are weeks when i think he has turned over a new leaf and is one of our best out there and then it follows with another flat, slippery performance... Kinda like ashton.

Father Ted

First Grade
simon says said:

He will be good for you guys . Your coaching staff will bring out the best in him .

Godz Illa

Coach
He looked the goods in 05 and parts of 06. The (I think 3) consecutive concussions he suffered last year compounded with an eye socket fracture really harmed his confidence for this season. And he seemed to consistently try for a big play to get that confidence back and most of the time would fail - a big hit attempt would go wrong and would result in a missed tackle, rushing out of the line too early would get him penalised, pushing a pass would lead to an error, his aggressive niggling play would get him penalised and so on. All he eally needed was to be eased back with steady game time in PL - unfortunately our injury worries didn't allow that. But eventually he did settle in first grade and I thought he started playing ok again towards the end of the year. I think he has a future as a good first grader but the gamble that Saints were apparently unwilling to take was will he ever deliver on that early promise, especially after the battering his confidence took after those concussions.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
he was always our "next big thing"

but it took him far too long to reach his potential...

a million concussions in 05 and an ability to give away penalties by farting made him miss that...

good luck corey, but no real loss for us..

simon says

First Grade
I know he gave some penalties away.....but gee I thought a lot of them were soft.

Some bloke wouldnt like getting tackled hard and throw an elbow out or the like,Payne would respond and cop a penalty.

IMO in a game of footy you cant just let someone cheap shot you......you have to show that they cant do that to you,especially a dominating type big forward.

I reckon he got pinged way too often for very little and Im very happy to have him under Sheens in the Tigers Den.

RedVDave

First Grade
I am a fan of Corey Payne is a big loss for mine! Lucky we signed Bobonganaboggean but!

God-King Dean

Immortal
If a player with talent can't wake the f*ck up have a go after 3 years, the chances of him ever are small.

Change of clubs might wake him up... but for now I still think he's a d*ckhead.

thommo4pm

Coach
He is a talent, but as mentioned above, his concussions in 06 really knocked his confidence about.
If he gets that back, then he has a great off load to create second phase, his defence is excellent when on also.
He did have a penalty or 2 in him per match, I would have been happy to keep him in the Red V to be honest.
He is still only what 23 or 24?

gregstar

Referee
good luck to him.

if sheens can help him maintain discipline, great.

either brown couldn't or he is a knuckle head.

for every good thing he did in a game, he backed it up with 4 stupid things.

good luck corey.

Father Ted said
He will be good for you guys . Your coaching staff will bring out the best in him .

Father Ted, coaching staff at other clubs are famous for bringing out the best in most of our players that have moved on.;-)

Godz Illa

Coach
This year Beau Scott was the player we hoped Corey Payne would become.

He seemed to reach his best under a new coaching regime after moving on...

Wobbygong

First Grade
Not sad to see him go.

He was never "our next big thing".............. muzby lighten up on the medication pal.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
His game went south after those concussions. Before that I was quite a fan of his - especially that bellringer he put on Moimoi at Kogarah (watching replays of that hit have given me many hours of entertainment!).
Good luck Corey.

big pat

Coach
no use crying over spilt milk, just another saints player going elsewhere,good luck corey and west tigers.

Latest posts