What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers will "sleep" on protest

Kaz

junior
March 21, 2004

South Sydney 17 bt Wests Tigers 16
THE last has not been heard of the longest game of the 2004 NRL season to date despite South Sydney running out winners over Wests Tigers at Aussie Stadium in the first golden point match of the year.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said it was likely the club would protest after match officials failed to stop the 10 minute extra-time period after five minutes.

When the game goes into a golden point period, teams are supposed to change ends after five minutes.

"We're going to sleep on it and make a decision in the morning," Noyce said.

Crucially, had referee Steve Lyons correctly halted play at halftime in extra time to ask the two teams to change ends, the Tigers would have received the ball from the ensuing kick-off.

Instead, Souths retained possession and advanced the play down deep into Wests territory, from which the Tigers were unable to recover before Willie Peters slotted the winning field goal from a subsequent set of six tackles.

But NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said it was not Lyons' fault and ruled out changing the result.

"The game is over, the result of the game doesn't change. That would be like saying if the referee made a refereeing error we could change the result of the game," he said.

The NRL will continue their investigations tomorrow but it is understood the failure to call halftime during the golden point period is due to a mix-up between the scoreboard attendant and the two time keepers – one from each club.

The gaffe provided a dramatic epilogue to a game that seemed to last forever as both teams traded nine field goal attempts before South Sydney halfback Peters – struggling with a virus all week – potted the match-winner with two and a half minutes left in extra-time.

Souths led 10-6 at halftime and 16-6 after 48 minutes only for Wests Tigers to pour on two tries in 15 minutes to lock up the match.

Both sides then put on a display of ordinary field goal kicking before Peters finally booted Souths home – much to his relief.

"I think I attempted about 20. My groin was a bit sore," laughed Peters who had been in doubt before the game with a virus.

"I did say to (teammate Jamie) Russo after I kicked terrible, I told him to take the next two but he didn't get them and then I was in the spot and fortunately it went through."

It wasn't just the Souths faithful that peppered the 11,293-strong crowd who were relieved with the gutsy win that opened the Rabbitohs' 2004 winning account.

"I would have been suicidal if we had lost that game – seriously," Souths coach Paul Langmack said.

"In round two last year we got beat in the last second by Brisbane ...and it affected our whole season.

"It's very important (the first win). Last year we were really competitive but at the end of the day you are here to win – if you aren't winning you start to doubt yourself."

Langmack dipped his hat to the recovering Peters, a barnstorming turn by Adam MacDougall and a Souths team spirit he said was typified by a 74th minute tackle by Rabbitohs lock Ashley Harrison.

Harrison latched onto Jason Moodie and put him into touch just as the Wests Tigers winger looked set to cross for the match-winner.

Langmack's only worry was skipper Fletcher (knee) and Brett Kearney (elbow).

To add injury to insult, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens said skipper Darren Senter (broken arm) could be out for 10 weeks.

Of the golden point period Sheens said: "I wasn't a fan of it (when it was introduced) and I'm not a fan now."

Once again the Tigers lived up to their tag as the Rabbitohs' "bunnies" – Souths only won three games last season, two of them against Wests.

Souths forward David Fa'alogo was put on report for a 32nd minute tackle on Tigers reserve Chris Heighington.

SOUTH SYDNEY 17 (A Harrison B Fletcher tries M Riddle 4 goals W Peters field goal) bt WESTS TIGERS 16 (J Moodie J Wilson B Reynolds tries B Hodgson 2 goals) at Aussie Stadium. Referee: S Lyons. Crowd: 11,293.

AAP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9032919-23209,00.html