What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Paine quits as test captain

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If Paine is out as captain turf him as keeper too, he's not that good that he's indispensable. Although I don't think Carey is the long term solution it's time for him to come in.

You'd have to think Cummins becomes captain Although Head will be considered despite not showing the batting chops to guarantee a permanent spot.

billygilmore

Juniors
Haha this is great for the team but what a numbskull, unless he wanted to get out of the job this is something that the majority of average Joe's couldn't give 2 shits about

Hutty1986

Immortal
I can't wait to read the amazingly OTT social media comments from the mouth breathers and outraged middle aged women, ala the sandpaper storm in a teacup. However, no denying Paine has always been a mediocre player and no way he should be picked if he's no longer captain. Hopefully we flog the poms this summer. Will mean JJ goes into hibernation again, so a win-win for all!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Wadey sends dick pics to himself

mqdefault.jpg

billygilmore

Juniors
I can't wait to read the amazingly OTT social media comments from the mouth breathers and outraged middle aged women, ala the sandpaper storm in a teacup. However, no denying Paine has always been a mediocre player and no way he should be picked if he's no longer captain. Hopefully we flog the poms this summer. Will mean JJ goes into hibernation again, so a win-win for all!
I've read a few already and surprise surprise nobody gives a shit and don't understand what all the fuss is about, it's really odd to be honest

Paine was the worst tactical captain I’ve ever seen for Australia, an absolute muppet. It’s hilarious that cricket Australia built him up to be this good guy on the while knowing he’d sent dick pics. They had to know this would eventually leak, it’s just incredible no one thought to get in front of it.

Anyway, tough call coming up. Cummins has hardly ever captained in cricket, a couple of limited overs games for NSW. Now he faces the prospect of leading a team into the ashes with two ex captains in it.

It won’t happen, but I’d go back to Smith. Big believer in people learning from mistakes, he’s older, he’s wiser and more mature.

billygilmore

Juniors
Paine was the worst tactical captain I’ve ever seen for Australia, an absolute muppet. It’s hilarious that cricket Australia built him up to be this good guy on the while knowing he’d sent dick pics. They had to know this would eventually leak, it’s just incredible no one thought to get in front of it.

Anyway, tough call coming up. Cummins has hardly ever captained in cricket, a couple of limited overs games for NSW. Now he faces the prospect of leading a team into the ashes with two ex captains in it.

It won’t happen, but I’d go back to Smith. Big believer in people learning from mistakes, he’s older, he’s wiser and more mature.
I think in this day an age they'll struggle to pick a player from this mob who hasn't sent the odd dick pic once or twice

I think in this day an age they'll struggle to pick a player from this mob who hasn't sent the odd dick pic once or twice

The issue is mostly the coverup. As I said, they could’ve got in front of this and admitted the mistake. I reckon he survives if they’d done it earlier. The texts look consensual to me, and she only complained about them once she’d been reported for theft.

Although there’s the workplace factor at play here as well, so it’s not totally the same as other situations.

billygilmore

Juniors
The issue is mostly the coverup. As I said, they could’ve got in front of this and admitted the mistake. I reckon he survives if they’d done it earlier. The texts look consensual to me, and she only complained about them once she’d been reported for theft.

Although there’s the workplace factor at play here as well, so it’s not totally the same as other situations.
Cover up or not I just don't think most people really care for this shit anymore, 4 or 5 years ago yeah maybe but these days it's a none issue, I think he's really overestimated what the reaction would be.

Anyway him not captain anymore is good for Aussie cricket but it's bloody slim pickings for who the next captain will be, we only have 2 locked in batsman, ones an all time great but weak as piss character and the other ones good but a bit of a joke "no ruuuun" so what do we do, pick a f**king bowler, that's an express train to mediocreville.

It's what's pissed me off about Aussie cricket the most since we've become shit, we haven't had any sort of proper leader of the team for years now

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol the idea of a cover-up is laughable.

Workplace investigations are subject to a pretty decent level of confidentiality. You can't even discuss them with colleagues, or you're done for serious misconduct. And if there was an AHRC lodgement, you can ramp that way up.

If there was a settlement at the AHRC then the basic terms include confidentiality AND non-disparagement agreements at least. I'm sure you can imagine what else lawyers would put in the terms for a high profile matter...if it's part of any proceedings in the courts relating to alleged thefts then I imagine that plays a part too.

Even taking all that out, what does anyone seriously expect CA to do? The investigation concluded there was no wrongdoing.

"Hey...so we've called this press conference to let you know Tim Paine has been sending raunchy texts to some chick. What? No it was consensual. Hmm? No, sorry, there's been no wrongdoing. Yes, that's right, were basically here discussing a Test players sex life. Check out this picture of his penis he sent her! Ok, thanks for your time."