What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Catalans to let go of some players?

jim_57

Staff member
I was just looking at what their likely squad will be for next year and came up with something like this:

Clint Greenshields
Dimitri Pelo
Jean Phillipe Baile
Adam Mogg
Freddie Vaccari
Greg Bird
Thomas Bosc
David Ferriol
Casey McGuire
Jerome Guisset
Sebastien Raguin
Cyrille Gossard
Gregory Mounis
Remi Casty
Oliver Elima
Jamal Fakir
Kane Bentley
Jason Ryles
William Barthau
Dane Carlaw
Steven Bell
Julien Touxagas
Cyril Stacul
Andrew Bentley
Mathias Pala
Vincent Duport
David Gaush
Sebastien Martins
Michael Simon

They are down to 7 quota players, IMO they could make do with alot less.

I think it might be time to let go of some backrowers aswell, poor old Andrew Bentley is 7th in line, they have 5 great french backrowers and Carlaw who are all SL standard. I wouldn't mind seeing one or two of them let go to English clubs or Toulouse. Gossard, Raguin, Fakir, Mounis and Elima are all great backrowers trying to fit into one team. Also can't hurt to get a few frenchman p[laying in SL clubs other than Catalans.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I think Touxagas and maybe a couple of others are out of contract. There is no need for Steve Bell at the club, and Mogg and Carlaw are also both getting on a bit although are still important players.

I would love to see some of the French players move to English clubs. The only transfer of any sort between Catalans and any other Super League club was when Rinaldi went to Harlequins IIRC.

jim_57

Staff member
I think Touxagas and maybe a couple of others are out of contract. There is no need for Steve Bell at the club, and Mogg and Carlaw are also both getting on a bit although are still important players.

I would love to see some of the French players move to English clubs. The only transfer of any sort between Catalans and any other Super League club was when Rinaldi went to Harlequins IIRC.

If they ever manage to get a full strength squad healthy they will have to fit Raguin, Gossard, Mounis, Fakir, Elima, Carlaw, Bentley and Touxagas all going for 3 starting spots and 1-2 bench spots. They could do with letting a couple of those go. Touxagas and Bentley would be good for Toulouse IMO, the rest should be gping to SL because it's obvious they are SL quality players.

Bell isn't really needed at all, to think he'll be there another 2 years, surely they'll have to cut him lose because i imagine he's on something decent, too much for a player who IMO will be switching between wing and UTC.

marv

Juniors
Its difficult to say really with regard to the French lads joining other clubs. For a start we dont know if any of them would want to, some might rather stay in France and play at a lower level, Like Khattabi did.

jim_57

Staff member
Its difficult to say really with regard to the French lads joining other clubs. For a start we dont know if any of them would want to, some might rather stay in France and play at a lower level, Like Khattabi did.

Another reason why Toulouse are essential for 2012. The group of SL quality French players is building nicely, soon it will be far too many for one team. Still be nice to see a few make the trip like Rinaldi and Gigot. I hope Gigot stays with Quins.

marv

Juniors
Another reason why Toulouse are essential for 2012. The group of SL quality French players is building nicely, soon it will be far too many for one team.

The Jurys out over wether or not guys like Stacul, Touxagas and Andrew Bentley are SL standard, and personally while theres still room for so many imports at Catalans I dont see that as essential.

I do think Toulouse is going well though regardless of Super League, in their first year they have fielded a mainly French squad and pushed for the playoffs, Id like to see them fulfil the criteria of reaching the GF, then we can talk about their inclusion.

Also with them in the championship it gives players like Quntilla and possibly others to tatse first team rugby at a higher level that UTC.

I hope Gigot stays with Quins.

Yeah me too, it seems to be shaping up nicely for him there.

Last edited:

Latest posts