What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fund expansion properly

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope when we do decide to expand the NRL they take a leaf out of the AFL's book and do it properly, at all levels of the game. Much has been spoken about the amount of investment the AFL have and will spend on expanding into NSW and Q'land. What most overlook is that a big chunk of that money is on promotion, Jnr engagement and grass roots.

If we look at the NRL's approach to Melbourne, they have basically done nothing to support the VRL or the grass roots and jnr development in Victoria. It's all well and good having an NRL team but if it isn't growing the game from the roots is there much point? It's one of the reasons the Storm still do not have a Victorian developed player in their 1st team and continue to rely on Q'land and NSW to supply its players.

Now I don't won't to be too critical of the past as the game was hamstrung by lack of money, lack of vision, poor leadership and was split with the ARL having the will but not the money and the NRL having the money but no will. That time is no longer so lets get it right for the future.

What I would like to see is the NRL except the $4mill on offer from Victorian Govt to stage a SOO game there each year and invest that whole $4mill a year into the VRL and jnr development. Imagine how strong the game could become in schools in in the VRL with that sort of money to spend every year!

Then when the West Coast Pirates are admitted I would like to see a similiar additional investment in the WARL and grass roots RL in WA. Somewhere around $3mill a year would make a massive difference.

How I'd spend it:
Extra development officers so every WARL club had a development officer assigned who worked in all the schools in that clubs region and linked the kids back to the WARL club in question
Eventual expansion of the WARL League to include another couple of teams and get SW Warrioris up to 1st grade
Each WARL club to get $50k a year to assist in their development
Funding to develop the Pillbara League and link it to an interstate comp with NT RL
A larger inter schools como with funding for equipment, insurance and coaching to make it happen
Run a NSW cup team and continue with SGBall squad
Form a 3 way partnership with Curtin Uni and WA Govt to build a RL development centre at Curtin University. Curtin supply the land, WA Govt part fund and ARLC part fund it. We take over the Curtin hockey stadium for SGBall, NSW cup and WARL games and develop new training and administration facilities on campus.

The goal for both Pirates and Storm should be to have a majority of first team squad from their own state by 2030.

IowaRL

Juniors
As someone who butted heads with my school as a yr 12 student wanting at least access to league, I know where you are coming from. Victorian Rugby League should be sooo much more advanced than what it is, simply because having a team in a region should mean encouraging youth players. I tried AFL when I was 8, and they were excellent about encouraging growth, but down in Vic, not a brass razoo for trying to get it into schools!

davi

Juniors
NRL are making an effort in this regards with Perth.

"The NRL has welcomed a new partner in Western Australia (WA), with building services company AGI providing a $50,000 investment into grassroots growth and development throughout the west in 2017.

The partnership announcement comes at a time when the support of rugby league continues to grow throughout WA, with two Telstra Premiership matches scheduled in Perth this year, including the Rabbitohs vs. Sea Eagles in just over a month's time (21 May).

In addition to Premiership matches, Perth's nib Stadium will host a double header on 12 November as part of the Rugby League World Cup and the city will also host game two of the 2019 Holden State of Origin series.

NRL General Manager in WA, John Sackson welcomed the partnership with AGI and the opportunity to continue to grow the rugby league appetite and exposure in WA.

"The NRL and AGI have a common goal to achieve growth and the increased reputation of rugby league throughout Western Australia," Mr Sackson said.

"AGI is a well-known brand throughout Western Australia and is looking to further expand its presence in the Pilbara region, with part of this partnership including the naming rights of the AGI Pilbara Rugby League Premiership.

"It's fantastic for our game to have the opportunity to align with such a well-known company and one that is determined to help grow grassroots rugby league."

AGI Managing Director, Frank DiCosta said his company was delighted to be supporting a sport with such a loyal community and following, not only in Western Australia, but throughout the country.

"AGI is proud to be involved with the continued growth of rugby league in Western Australia throughout 2017 and we are committed to a long-term partnership," Mr DiCosta said.

League, tag and tackle participation levels continue to increase throughout Western Australia, with more than 3,600 men and women now playing some form of the game."

https://www.nrl.com/nrl-welcomes-ne...tralia/tabid/10874/newsid/105814/default.aspx

adamkungl

Immortal
As an aside.. after some investment and growth in each state, I'd like to see a SOO series between WA and VIC.
And also one between SA and TAS for good measure.
They likely wouldn't be big deals or professional level for some years, but that's ok. Just staging and promoting them annually gives players something to aspire to.

I don't like Tasmania's chances in any game.

When you're playing touch and the other side is tackling you're going to struggle.

T-Boon

Coach
As an aside.. after some investment and growth in each state, I'd like to see a SOO series between WA and VIC.
They likely wouldn't be big deals or professional level for some years, but that's ok. Just staging and promoting them annually gives players something to aspire to.

Way to have an idea Kungle. I didn't think you had those. Did you get a nose bleed afterwards?

Perth Red

Post Whore

We play an affiliated states championship every year.

siv

First Grade
But funding is allocated in expansion for
- 1 womens RL
- sydney v qrl state cup finals RG U20 U18 U16
- additonal RG league grants
- some regional goal posts

Diesel

Referee
But Grant and Greenberg are giving each other high fives over a second tier expansion

jim_57

Staff member
But Grant and Greenberg are giving each other high fives over a second tier expansion

If something actually comes of the second tier expansion it would be worthy of a high 5. There should definitely be NRL expansion as well but if they can manage 2nd tier expansion well it could be huge for the game and they could sew up the Aus/NZ/Pacific for quite a while.

Definite targets for 2nd tier teams:
  • NT
  • Victoria
  • WA
  • Toowoomba/South West QLD
  • Fiji
  • NZ 2
Potential Targets
  • Regional NSW (If any town is interested)
  • NZ 3 (As Above)
  • PNG 2
  • SA
And again like a broken record, look to tie up all Pacific nations in which a team isn't viable by creating partnerships for player trials/pathways and a trial or regular season game here and there. Maybe even look in to Asia when the potential is there.

Oh and all these clubs running juniors if possible.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
NSW Western Rams
New England
Coffs
And Riverina areas should be in any Tier 2 expansion plans

The Great Dane

First Grade
NSW Western Rams
New England
Coffs
And Riverina areas should be in any Tier 2 expansion plans

Well that depends how the competition is structured, if you're keeping the NSWcup, and Qcup, and using them as conferences then maybe there'ed be room for clubs from those areas.
However if they are completely restructuring the competition into a single national competition with 12-22 clubs then there probably won't be room for all of those regional clubs as well as the clubs in bigger areas.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If something actually comes of the second tier expansion it would be worthy of a high 5. There should definitely be NRL expansion as well but if they can manage 2nd tier expansion well it could be huge for the game and they could sew up the Aus/NZ/Pacific for quite a while.

Definite targets for 2nd tier teams:
  • NT
  • Victoria
  • WA
  • Toowoomba/South West QLD
  • Fiji
  • NZ 2
Potential Targets
  • Regional NSW (If any town is interested)
  • NZ 3 (As Above)
  • PNG 2
  • SA
And again like a broken record, look to tie up all Pacific nations in which a team isn't viable by creating partnerships for player trials/pathways and a trial or regular season game here and there. Maybe even look in to Asia when the potential is there.

Oh and all these clubs running juniors if possible.

A second tier club that is independent of the Raiders would do wonders for the sport down here (ACT/Southern NSW), so you can chuck Canberra/Queanbeyan/Wagga/Albury to that list of targets.

Latest posts