What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to make a stand

Cloeel

Juniors
Settle pettle, talk about going off half Cooked as usual.

If it’s not about Bea so who replaces him then?? If Bennett is not good enough who replaces him?? Because you aren’t defending baldie are you?? Who’s the man if it’s not Bennett?? Or you aren’t suggesting Bea see’s out his contract and we pass on Bennett?? Surely not!!

It may not be that Bennett is not a good enough replacement. It may be what he is demanding in terms of money and length of contract (at this stage - early contract negotiation) that make him unattractive for the club.

It is clear Bennett sees blood in the water at souths so is trying to maximise deal length and $$$ (Leverage).

Everyone reckons he is a done deal at souths. However nothing is done until a contract is signed - so lets wait and see what happens.

Why throw all your cards on the table? Why not let Bennett and souths potentially go sour and build some resentment over the negotiation. Maybe we are playing the long game. We do not need to be irrational in this circumstance.

This Year?

Immortal
Is Wayne 2024 still as relevant as Wayne 2009?

I reckon if we were to get him it'll end more like the Knights than the Dragons.
I think he is. He's got the Dolphins side who you could argue have an average side on paper going pretty well so far.

He brought over too many aging players into that pretty bog average Knights side. Having Wayne there was more about lifting the profile of the club and Tinkler was more about building his portfolio.
I see way more Parrallels between this current Eels side and the late 2000's Dragons.
If BA can get them to a grand final, do you think Wayne would get them over the line?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Then we're back to Bennett's drought being longer than BA's.

Which is like comparing apples, to calves.

Remind me how many Premierships the illustrious Brad Arthur has won?

And - just for shits, and giggles - remind me of how many Premierships the scrub Wayne Bennett has won?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think he is. He's got the Dolphins side who you could argue have an average side on paper going pretty well so far.

He brought over too many aging players into that pretty bog average Knights side. Having Wayne there was more about lifting the profile of the club and Tinkler was more about building his portfolio.
I see way more Parrallels between this current Eels side and the late 2000's Dragons.
If BA can get them to a grand final, do you think Wayne would get them over the line?
Parra would have won a comp if Bennett was there between 2019-2022.

They were close enough just didn't have the belief that Bennett would have given them in big games.

8 finals we have lost under BA we have been leading 3 times at halftime in those 8 losses.

We have been level once.

And on another 2 occasions we were down by 1 or 2 points at HT against Penrith in 2021 and 2022 semi finals.

Only 2 finals we have been blown away by halftime 2022 GF and Melbourne in 2019.

Bandwagon

Staff member

I disagree on the Knights, getting Wayne was about getting a premiership, but I concede the failure there was more likely despite Wayne rather than because of him. That's mostly on the shitfight that was Tinkler.

As for Wayne taking the next step, you know I just don't buy all the hype. Yes he's a good coach, no f**king doubt, but those premierships at the Donkeys with often more than half of Qld's SOO side on the books, how many half decent coaches coulda taken those squads to premiership glory?

I think what's more telling about his record is the years since the salary cap actually began to bite, which gives him maybe 2006 at the donkeys, though that's probably being generous by that measure, and 2010 with the Dragons for sure.

So one maybe two, with the most recent being 14 years ago. It's still a decent record, but it doesn't scream premiership outside of having a squad likely no club could assemble today.

I'd also argue when he left the Dragons and the Knights and the Rabbits he left them no better off or worse than when joined. ( aside from the obvious premiership in the cupboard for the Dragons ) And indeed the Donkeys didn't look real flash there after his second stint, not real flash at all.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Which is like comparing apples, to calves.

Remind me how many Premierships the illustrious Brad Arthur has won?

And - just for shits, and giggles - remind me of how many Premierships the scrub Wayne Bennett has won?

Again, his drought is longer than BA's been coaching NRL,

If past performance is any indicator of future performance, the the near past will be far more indicative of the near future than what he achieved some 15 - 20 years ago.

Shits and giggles all you like mate, it doesn't change the fact he's won diddly squat for the last 14 years.

Diddly. f**king. Squat.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Some people look at Benny and say, well he's won premieships and BA sure as hell hasn't. I don't think there is much more thought than that.

Personally, I thought he should have won more than he did with the talent he had at his disposal. Also I think his best days are behind him now.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Parra would have won a comp if Bennett was there between 2019-2022.

Look obviously that's an opinion, which is all fine, but his record says in 2015 and 2021 he took Broncos and Souths to the GF, and they lost.

Why would have Parra been any different to that level of confidence?

Bandwagon

Staff member
Some people look at Benny and say, well he's won premieships and BA sure as hell hasn't. I don't think there is much more thought than that.

Personally, I thought he should have won more than he did with the talent he had at his disposal. Also I think his best days are behind him now.

Yep

Obviously the bloke can coach, but he aint no Bellamy that's for sure.

The Predictor

Juniors
Look obviously that's an opinion, which is all fine, but his record says in 2015 and 2021 he took Broncos and Souths to the GF, and they lost.

Why would have Parra been any different to that level of confidence?
Because they wouldn’t have been listening to brads voice, but someone who can coach a team to tackle

Eelementary

Post Whore
Again, his drought is longer than BA's been coaching NRL,

If past performance is any indicator of future performance, the the near past will be far more indicative of the near future than what he achieved some 15 - 20 years ago.

Shits and giggles all you like mate, it doesn't change the fact he's won diddly squat for the last 14 years.

Diddly. f**king. Squat.

He's won more games in that same time period, than Brad Arthur...

Bandwagon

Staff member
Because they wouldn’t have been listening to brads voice, but someone who can coach a team to tackle

The question was why would Parra be any different from Souths and Brisbane, the teams that Bennett took to a GF and lost.

Your answer here isn't remotely relevant to that context, and I award you no points.

Eelementary

Post Whore
As per https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/wayne-bennett/summary.html:

Wayne Bennett has consistently won over 60% of the games he has coached.

The only exceptions are his stint at Newcastle (45%), and his current Dolphins tenure (40%).

He was in charge of that incredible Broncos team, which no doubt skews the numbers in his favour.

And maybe he should have won more, with the rosters he's been in charge of.

To put it in perspective, on 6 occasions from 22 seasons, Bard Arthur has been at 50%, or under.

I just don't see how there is any debate that Bennett wouldn't improve this club.

It's a moot point, anyway.