What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to make a stand

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I just don't see how there is any debate that Bennett wouldn't improve this club.

I guess the main point is that will he improve us enough to get us to that elusive premiership that we've been waiting on for so long.

Thats the risk and I don't buy it myself at his age especially if he's after a 5 year gig, as has been reported.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I guess the main point is that will he improve us enough to get us to that elusive premiership that we've been waiting on for so long.

Thats the risk and I don't buy it myself at his age especially if he's after a 5 year gig, as has been reported.

My stance is he is unlikely to get us that elusive Premiership; however, he would likely instil a new attitude, and give the playing group confidence in their abilities, so that whoever succeeded him, could hit the ground running.

I am 100% positive that the playing group would benefit way more from Wayne Bennett's coaching over a 2, or 3, year period, than eleven years of Arthur's coaching - and that's not because Arthur can't coach, but because Bennett has been around a long time, and had loads of success.

Bandwagon

Staff member
You're right - bringing someone on board with a winners' mentality is stupid.

This is the Eels, after all - best to stick with a coach with a barely above 50% career win rate.

I'll take "arguments I have not made" for a $1000 Eddie.

Bandwagon

Staff member

....and how would he leave the club once his time is done?

His recent record suggests not in such great shape, so the risk is also if he doesn't bring that premiership, how many steps backwards does the club end up afterwards.

The Predictor

Juniors
The question was why would Parra be any different from Souths and Brisbane, the teams that Bennett took to a GF and lost.

Your answer here isn't remotely relevant to that context, and I award you no points.
You are quite an objectionable person!!!! please don’t bother me anymore

Bandwagon

Staff member
You've not explicitly said so, but your comments have heavily implied that you're opposed to signing what would amount to be a much higher-calibre coach, than BA.

If it came across as implied that isn't my intent, indeed I thought it explicit. Yes I am opposed to us signing Bennett, I don't think he is the answer for our club.

By the way, you've mixed up your game shows, mate.

It's a mixed metaphor FFS!

emjaycee

Coach
Can you use points to make a stand?

Bbau GIF by Big Brother Australia

Angry_eel

First Grade
Let's be honest, no coach can guarantee a Premiership, not even Bellamy. If our singular goal is Premiership then history says to me we need a decent junior base below NRL. I'm not saying local junior base, just junior base.

Therefore, the coach has to be reputable enough to attract NRL level players and junior centric enough to blood Parramatta local juniors or sign juniors from other regions.

I don't know who that leaves us with but its certainly not Arthur.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So you want Brad Arthur gone - for no one?

so despite the fact you agree that BA should go,

Where did I agree he should go? I made no argument either way.

Why is it so difficult for merkins to understand simple concepts like words mean what they mean, they don't mean other words, no matter how much you'd like them to.

you think his replacement SHOULDNT be one of the greatest coaches of all time?

I'm not particularly convinced he is still a great coach, I've explained this, and why already.

emjaycee

Coach
Where did I agree he should go? I made no argument either way.

Why is it so difficult for merkins to understand simple concepts like words mean what they mean, they don't mean other words, no matter how much you'd like them to.
I think in today's woke world mate words now mean whatever the person who hears them wants them to mean.
It is expected that you totally ignore years and years of common usage and dictionary definitions if it isnt what you want them to mean when you hear them.