What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timmins at 5/8

G

gorilla

I hope Timmins isn't going to play at 5/8th again when Barrett's out.

Timmo played 5/8 at SOO level and they could get away with it because the pace is so fast and there's such a need for strong hard players.

At club level we need a play maker and someone who will put the opposition in 2 or 3 frames of mind - Timmo doesn't, let alone pass that well on both sides.

I can see the desire to have an experienced head at the centre of the action, esp if Russell is playing (whom I hold high hopes for..) but I reckon Herby Hornby has done enough and well enough.

I continue my vendetta - Timmo must play lock for us to win the GF, and even more so with Thommo out against a strong pack.

ol' silverback

Chook_Raper

Juniors
I don't think he is even a lock. He's either a second rower or a centre. He just doesn't have the ball skills to play in those positions. He's actually a bit of a hog.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I don't rate him at all as a five-eighth. His ball distribution is poor, he's always trying to push the extra pass of leaving it to the last second & his outside men get cramped by the defence.

However, with the current run of injuries, what other options are there??

Cheers,
Ben S.

G

gorilla

Hornby has often played well at 5/8 - we have Simmonds for fullback.
Half is the question mark - Withers or Russell.
Preferably Gorrell for dummy half with the Pig.
Shiner

Anonymous

Juniors
Or Withers at five eighth?

Looking at the proposed bench, it seems that another forward will fill the last spot, which would leave Greenshields out. Maybe an opening for Gorrell... :?:
IMO, Hornby is the best fullback in the club so I wouldnt like to see him moved.

Collateral

Coach
Greenshields can play 5/8 centre and fullback...he played 5/8 mostly for Wests last year apparently.

Just on Greenshields, I think he is an excellent prospect and wouldnt mind giving him a crack at wing or centre and forcing Gasnier onto the wing....That way Gasnier will have space to move when returning kicks.