What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Spot On

Coach
I am against any form of privatisation of any Rugby League club where the members dont have the majority of control.
However it wont be long before other clubs go down the same path as Souths & Newcastle.
Unfortunately the working mans games has become the millionaires preferred way of spending their millions.

I don't get this logic. If you were Tinkler, would you want the club you support and love to succeed or fail. Were the members forking out thousands of dollars each to help the club pay down its debts. Only a couple sporting organisations in this country make money. If Tinklers wealth provides a base to build the Knights into a debt free, cash injected powerhouse with the best facilities for players and spectators then the "members" should be very f**king happy.

Johns Magic

Referee
THE easy thing for Nathan Tinkler to do would be to saunter into Ausgrid Stadium tomorrow like he owns the joint and ask: "Don't you know who I am? I own this joint."

But that's not how the mining magnate rolls.
Instead, the big fella will watch his first match as owner of the Knights with a couple of mates, with a couple of beers, on television at home because he wants to divert attention from himself.

When Tinkler failed to front Thursday night's extraordinary general meeting, when Knights members emphatically voted in favour of him buying the club, it raised eyebrows.
Like the voice from Charlie's Angels, like the bad guy from the Bond movies stroking a white Persian cat, Tinkler is rarely sighted. Few know of his location.
Indeed, there was mass confusion about where he was on Thursday night. At home in Merewether? Somewhere else in NSW doing business? Overseas?

Tinkler's approach is in stark contrast to that of actor Russell Crowe and businessman Peter Holmes a Court when they seized control of the South Sydney Rabbitohs five years ago.
They were front and centre of the campaign, but for Tinkler it's never been about him.
And while that sounds like typical PR guff it merely reflects that he wants to provide the good rugby league folk of Newcastle and the Hunter with a club that doesn't have to continually punch above its weight.

Tinkler was again shunning the spotlight yesterday. The best we could squeeze out of him was this statement: "The Knights are a massive part of the fabric of Newcastle. I believe the community deserves to have strong, competitive sporting teams on the national stage who work together and are well managed with the resources to win premierships. The best interests of the Newcastle community will always be at the top of our agenda at the Knights."

So now what?
Chief executive Steve Burraston is surely a dead man walking, and we've heard former Knights Tony Butterfield and Michael Hagan are possible candidates to fill his office.
Tinkler is sweating on a reply from Wayne Bennett about whether he wants to join the revolution, but it will be a shock if the Dragons' master coach goes anywhere but the Broncos.

However, of greater concern is the team itself.
There's talk of a "three-to-five-week" transition period.
That could be too long for hopeful signings like Jamal Idris, or the retention of loaded guns such as Junior Sau.

As Crowe found out when he took ownership of Souths, there's no business like rugby league business like no business he knows.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/first-knight-in-front-of-the-box/story-e6frfgbo-1226032273946

The language Burraston used when discussing the Tinkler deal definitely had undertones of scaremongering.

The same language was not used when discussing the Patron's Trust deal.

That was what stunk.

Exactly he was playing on peoples fears and I am suprised some people cant see it.

At least we are in the news for all the right reasons for once. I think we all now know noone has a clue what Bennett is thinking. I am surprised though that he has delayed announcing a move to the broncs. I honestly believe that Tinkler has looked into moving Bennett's family here with some sort of financially lucrative setup. I'd even give Ikin a job in the office if it meant we get Wayne. Wayne is a great man and a person i think any player would spill blood for. Not many coaches can claim that.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Billionaire offers debt of gratitude
BY ROBERT DILLON
02 Apr, 2011 04:00 AM

NATHAN Tinkler expressed his gratitude to Newcastle Knights members yesterday after the historic vote on Thursday night that allowed him to take ownership of their club.
At an extraordinary general meeting held at Newcastle Entertainment Centre, 97 per cent of an estimated 2500 members voted in favour of a Tinkler takeover – easily surpassing the 75 per cent majority required for such constitutional change.
Yesterday the philanthropic billionaire from the Upper Hunter was interstate on business but took time out from his hectic schedule to share his thoughts on owning the Knights, the club he described as ‘‘a massive part of the fabric of Newcastle’’.
‘‘I am delighted,’’ Mr Tinkler said.
‘‘One of the most pleasing aspects of the great vote of support to our proposal is that the Newcastle Knights can now begin a successful new chapter while remaining a united community club.
‘‘One of our commitments is to embrace everyone who has contributed to the club over the past 23 years, and as we embark on this exciting journey it is critical that the whole community now pulls together and gets behind the Knights to build the best possible future for our club.
‘‘I am excited for the people of Newcastle and the Hunter, who now know that their football team is secure.
‘‘I am also excited about the opportunity to ensure we carry out our pledge to ensure the Newcastle Knights are a community club and our family-friendly membership initiatives are embraced.’’
Mr Tinkler, who has underwritten the Knights for up to $100million over the next decade and guaranteed that any profits will be reinvested in the club, reiterated his promise that ‘‘the best interests of the Newcastle community will always be at the top of our agenda with the Knights’’.
A crowd of almost 30,000 is expected for Newcastle’s first home game of the Tinkler era, against premiers St George Illawarra tomorrow, but the self-made tycoon is unlikely to attend because of business commitments.
He said his goal was to make similar turnouts the norm rather than the exception.
‘‘We are aiming for 20,000 members next season to ensure the Ausgrid Stadium really becomes a fortress,’’ Mr Tinkler said.
‘‘That is a place opposing teams hate to visit and a friendly and affordable environment for every Newcastle family.’’
NRL chief executive David Gallop said yesterday he had not yet spoken to Mr Tinkler but hoped to meet with him soon.
‘‘It was good to see that the process of allowing the members to make the decision has produced such an overwhelming result,’’ Mr Gallop said.
‘‘Private ownership is a big part of our game now, and to have someone like Nathan involved will be a boost for the elite end and the grassroots end of the game in Newcastle.
‘‘Once the dust settles, we look forward to sitting down with him and his representatives and hearing more about the plans that they have in place for the Knights and the district.’’
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ionaire-offers-debt-of-gratitude/2121759.aspx

Serc

First Grade
Here's some footage from NBN last night too:

http://soulstream1.sptel.com.au/NBN_News//knightsdecisionapril1.wmv

Some small alarm bells were raised for me when I saw Jack Newton being interviewed near the end...I have said it before and I'll say it again, I hope he and a few other not so desirable types haven't gotten a seat on the Tinkler bandwagon in the past year or two.

Anyway hopefully I am wrong and he just happened to be there and being a known figure, NBN asked him for his thoughts on a few things.

Big Tim

First Grade
I am against any form of privatisation of any Rugby League club where the members dont have the majority of control.
However it wont be long before other clubs go down the same path as Souths & Newcastle.
Unfortunately the working mans games has become the millionaires preferred way of spending their millions.

Yeah, privitisation is a terrible idea.

there are no successful privately owned teams in the world at all.........

Look at Bob Kraft. Rich as hell, owns the Patriots. They have the perfect privitisation model. Then there is the Steelers, they are very similar, and equally as successful.

What we dont want is the Cowboys or Redskins set ups, though Snyder is learning quickly that the less he has to do with the team the better.

Privitisation is a big scary beast, but there are plenty of examples of success under this model.

Pumba

First Grade
Knights handover begins
BY ROBERT DILLON
05 Apr, 2011 04:00 AM

THE Tinkler Sports Group met with Newcastle Knights officials yesterday to begin the process of handing over the NRL club.
TSG executive chairman Ken Edwards and chief executive Troy Palmer spent 90 minutes talking to Knights chairman Rob Tew and board member Nick Dan, a solicitor, about what needed to transpire before billionaire Nathan Tinkler can assume total control of the club.

The privatisation logistics are expected to take between three and five weeks to complete.

‘‘There were no decisions made, it was just a general briefing and identifying some of the issues we’re going to have to agree on and get on top of,’’ Edwards said. ‘‘We’re not going to jump in prematurely and do things without thinking it through properly.

‘‘We’ve got a level of understanding of the business, but we need to be considered and professional and, in particular, make sure that the footy team has got everything that they need.’’

The Herald