What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney to stay with Cronulla Sharks

wolverine

Juniors
Clubs can sometimes hold back announcements of signings strategically.
I.e they wait for some of the ASADA smoke to clear a little bit more and then announce it close
to a home game to get the fans through the gates.

Frenzy.

Immortal
It would still be on the table though Frenz, I'm of the opinion that the longer we wait the more he see's the reality of the money and will sign elsewhere. Or perhaps he is giving Sharks the opportunity to work out something for him post footy.

It may well be cools but you can't tell me dragging it back up now isn't just to add fuel to the fire.

If TC is waiting for ASADA shit to go away he's in for a long wait.

If TC wants the dollars he should just sign with his choice of clubs so everyone moves on.

If he weally, twuly wants to stay a Shark let him come out and say so.

I, for one, have been expecting an announcement before the Canberra game. It better be early in the week or that could actualy backfire and keep the restless crowd away because we are all, quite frankly, getting the shits with the games.

Vin Fizz

Bench
I'm gunna have a punt on this one. I know nussing but I suspect third party deals are heavy contributors to the big dollar deals being offered by the other clubs. Yeah I know no shit Sherlock, but I reckon (just a hunch though) that the difference between our offer and other clubs is the 3rd part deals are far far more secure than the sharkies would be ATM. Now if he's being offered 5 years at the BWB that buys us time to secure the promised dough back ended I presume. The other clubs have more certainty in that regard, however, he loves it at the Sharks, likes living in the shire, has mates and is settled (he's a country boy don't forget and we all love routine). So it all boils down to will the sharkies new management come through as promised or does he take the punt, move clubs leave his mates for that little bit more security? He's not money driven in that way. Just some thoughts. I'm punting hell stick solid.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yeah but VF, if the contract the Sharks are offering is near to $700k (without 3rd party deals) alone how much security does a young bloke need?

How secure was he when the club saved him?

Vin Fizz

Bench
Spot onski Frenz. If our $700k offer is salary then topped up with TPD and the other clubs offer is say $1m with $750 salary and the rest TPD then that paints a different picture to some of whats being flung about here in this thread. The tipping points are one clubs TPD against anothers. Remember when Spaz left the Stains the first time because he didn't get the dough he was promised from sponsors? My punt is that's what Toddy is weighing up. He is a fuggin good actor if he's leaving. He looks and sounds every bit like he's gunna stay to me.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Immortal
Stranger things have happened.

Tomkins is reportedly on around £300,000 in the UK. There's been talk of him wanting a million to come to the NRL. I call that Bollocks.

He's very gettable at less than $800k I reckon.

Now the million makes sense.

Titanic bid looms for Wigan wizard Sam Tomkins
Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
May 09, 2013 12:00AM

THE Titans have entered the race for the man regarded as the British version of Billy Slater, Wigan attacking wizard Sam Tomkins.

The Courier-Mail understands the Titans have held preliminary talks with Tomkins' management, although the England international's $1 million price tag may prove a stumbling block.

If money is the deciding factor, NRL rivals the Warriors are likely to trump the Titans.

Former Wigan star Dean Bell, now the NZ Warriors' football operations chief, flew to England recently to meet the fullback.

While they have a star-studded pack, the Titans are scouring the market for a marquee back with strike power as part of their mission statement to win a title by 2015.

Tomkins, who can play fullback or five-eighth, shapes as the ideal target.

The Wigan flyer is ranked England's No.1 player, being named the Man of Steel last year - British Super League's equivalent of the NRL's Dally M Award.

The 24-year-old is keen to test himself in the NRL.

But with another three years on his Wigan deal, the English rugby league giants have slapped a $250,000 transfer fee on Tomkins.

His management is hoping to secure an NRL contract of $750,000 a season, completing a $1 million package that would place Tomkins in the same earnings stratosphere as Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis.

At 180cm and 83kg, Tomkins is similar in build and playing style to Storm, Queensland and Australian custodian Slater.

Former England star Mike Stephenson, who played 169 games for Penrith in the 1970s, now commentates on the Super League and says Tomkins would succeed in the NRL.

"He is a very talented youngster," Stephenson said in a NZ report over the weekend.

"He is still developing and that's the most exciting thing you can say about Sam, that he's still on a learning curve ... "He has certainly taken the Super League by storm.

"I'd say he is by far the best player we have in Super League when it comes to attack. (And) the guy is a tough hombre.

"Teams pinpoint him (to no avail)."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...zard-sam-tomkins/story-e6frexsi-1226637911878

Last edited:
if TC goes, what is the plan?

personally, i would like to see the club show a little faith in some young talent at the sharks

that is how deeply ingrained loyalty is built

penani into firsts and let him develop around players like gal, lewis, etc

if TC goes, what is the plan?

personally, i would like to see the club show a little faith in some young talent at the sharks

that is how deeply ingrained loyalty is built

penani into firsts and let him develop around players like gal, lewis, etc

Birdee is not just Penani, if TC does go CT off contract as well he has shown not up to FG, and so is Robson off contract we could be left with basically just Penani and no one else, might be worthwhile having a go at Finch for a year or 2, as is playing in NSW Cup with us.

A further option is Keary at Souths 2 young guns Penani & Keary

DJShaksta

First Grade
“@josh_massoud: BREAKING: @tcarney06 to remain at @Cronulla_Sharks after knocking back @PenrithPanthers offer today. Full story @telegraph_sport soon. #NRL”

bull shark

Juniors
Todd Carney has rejected a lucrative offer from Penrith to commit to a long-term deal at the Sharks.
The deal with the incumbent NSW five-eighth is expected to be announced today.
Carney, who turns 27 in June, had been targeted by the Panthers after they missed out on Johnathan Thurston.
Loyalty to Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan and skipper Paul Gallen and being settled in Sutherland Shire has led to Carney rejecting significant financial offers from New Zealand and the Panthers.
Advertisement
In doing so, he has brushed aside concerns regarding the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to remain at the club.
Carney is locked in a two-way battle to retain his NSW State of Origin jersey with Roosters five-eighth James Maloney at his heels. Carney will have another chance to impress when he faces Wests Tigers at Allianz Stadium on Friday night.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
EXCLUSIVE: Todd Carney will remain at Cronulla after knocking back a rich five-year deal from Penrith today.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Panthers were informed about Carney’s decision around lunchtime.
It’s believed Penrith had offered Carney a five-year deal worth about $4.5 million.
The Sharks had been struggling to match the money, with their last offer understood to be around the $750,000-a-season mark.
Carney’s decision is a huge boost for the Sharks, who have not re-signed a single player since the ASADA scandal erupted in February.
The Warriors were also after Carney and had made the biggest offer, worth over $1 million a season.
But Carney was loathe to leave his new home in the Sutherland Shire.
LINK

Maccas4177

Juniors
This is excellent news for the club and us as supporters!!
Can we throw this thread in the trash now as its stopped me doing any work for the past day and a bit and has really pissed me off!!

Latest posts