What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg Appointed NRL CEO

Who Should Be The Next NRL CEO

• Todd Greenberg

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Shane Richardson

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Phil Gould

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • John Grant

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Andrew Demetriou

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • John Quayle

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Somebody Else.....Post Who

Votes: 46 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamkungl

Immortal
Dave Smith's most important achievement is leading the NRL into a new era post-News breakup, and securing and strengthening the games finances to all time high levels. Closely followed by strengthened branding, merger with Touch, increased promotion of Womens RL, and refusing to respond to News baiting.

HOWEVER. His leadership failed to address the decline on-field (amazing GF aside), continuing the trend of reactionary rule changes and poor refereeing, fans were clearly frustrated - crowds refused to improve. Smith's NRL couldn't come to a fair funding agreement with clubs, either. And very recently poured water on expansion hopes which are crucial for the games growth in the next 10 years.

Summary: Dave Smith was the right man for a specific job, and he did that while neglecting other areas. The time is right for change. Here's hoping the new leader has the balls and vision to grow, while understanding and respecting quite what it is that makes the sport of Rugby League great, rather than just the business of the NRL.

^^^^^^^^ This.

We'll get Sam Backo and the geniuss will cheer "AT LEAST HE KNOWS FOOTBALL" "HE KNOWS WHO CAM SMITH IS"
Yea he wont know how to make the clubs debt free and when News says to him jump he will say how high, but that's alright.
But he will know who Cam Smith is and how much will that help the clubs who have money problems :crazy:, and have no proper Business plans?
Knowing Cam Smith is not going to help us get a better TV deal.

perverse

Referee
I'll do it.

I'll bring back the bears, the biff and the shoulder charge.

I'll kick out Souffs and change the Broncos logo to a dildo.

I'm what this sport needs.

I'm not sure I like your biff policy, but I see great merit in your competition reshuffle and logo redesigns, and will back your campaign on their strength alone.

LatK7

First Grade
He f**ked up the rights negotiations. All the predictions were that the NRL deal would be further behind the AFL deal than when he started. And other markers were stalled, he made a big song and dance about getting us to 20k average crowd figures, and the crowds declined EVERY year since.

From all accounts he seemed like a nice man, he just was not the right fit for the game. Hopefully they do a better job of considering all factors when picking the next CEO.

This reads like most of the brain dead Facebook comments in response to this news.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
If Greenberg of Richardson get the top gig I am out

I'm with you there.

In fact, any new CEO will hopefully have the nous to get these two dunder headed f*cks out of NRL headquarters as their first order of business.

People want to look at who is responsible for some of the shambolic ideas and direction of the game - look at these two. Smith was there for business direction, not the hands on league stuff. That's what these 2 buffoons were brought in for. Great job so far........

hineyrulz

Post Whore
lol "your 1.7billion dollar deal" Nice repsonse.

The hack journo's already have got us getting even less.

DC_fan

Coach
Smith was never meant to be in this job for very long. It was just a stepping stone for him as he trys to make his way up the worlds corporate ladder. Sad thing for David is that he is still a very long way from the top.

The big question is, who will replace him?

This was Phil Gould's responsibility. Gould was always big noting Smith, saying he was the best thing ever in RL administration. The clubs and the NRL Commission have had a gut full of Gould's interference in Admin of the game. Taking down Smith was a poke in the eye for Gould.

Equally important Smith screwed the TV deal by leaving Fox with crumbs, and expecting them to pay overs for crumbs. This was a dumb move that has cost the NRL millions in potential revenue.