What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomahawks vs Kangaroos

SharkBait

Juniors
The AMNRL website http://www.amnrl.com/ reports the Kangaroos will be taking on the Tomahawks at Yankee Stadium in NY city on Wednesday December 1st! In a curtain-raiser, the NY Knights will take on the Coogee Dolphins.

Newtown Jets three-quarter Alf Duncan and Moree Boars half Jade Porter are apparently definite starters for the US at this stage. They are cousins and have played with the Tomahawks since 2000 and 2003 respectively.

roopy

Referee
playfooty said:
You reckon they'd fly a CRL and Premier League player in from Aus. for a 1 off - i doubt it.
If I had a chance to play against the Kangaroos at Yankee stadium I'd not only pay my own way, i'd probably volunteer to swim over if necessary.
They are both handy players.

shell

Juniors
Well actually. Jade Porter and Alf Duncan are both cousins of mine, I grew up with Jade as kids. And yes they are both playing with the Tomahawks at the end of year test match. To be played December 1, and as far as Australia knows, it is defineately going ahead.

Tomahawk

Staff member
From what I have herd and been told, there could be up to 7 international Tomahawk players. In a few short months we will know who they are. However, everthing is going smooth, and there will be a match December 1, 2004.

I think right now we need to focas on the 2004 AMNRL playoffs. Everything is heating up, and week 8 matches will determine the seatings 2-6. The Bulls are the only team to have the #1 seat no matter what the outcome of there week 8 match.

Tomahawk

playfooty

Juniors
I'd rather see an all-american side play - or atleast if they're going to include international boys that they've played in the comp for atleast 2 seasons.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Play

I can see were you are coming from. However, the Tomahawks need to have the best team they can have in order to compete with the Roos.

Tomahawk

LESStar58

Referee
SharkBait said:
The AMNRL website http://www.amnrl.com/ reports the Kangaroos will be taking on the Tomahawks at Yankee Stadium in NY city on Wednesday December 1st! In a curtain-raiser, the NY Knights will take on the Coogee Dolphins.

Wait a sec...2 teams affected either directly or indirectly by recent terrorists acts. S11 happened in NYC and Coogee Dolphins players were killed in the Bali bombing in 2002. This should pull the heart strings...

shaggy

Juniors
the game is being backed by lachlan murdoch (ruperts son)
the kangeroos will be on their way home from the tri nations seires in gb

the kangaroos could give the world record a real shot

i think the match will be a farce
the us r nowhere near ready 2 face the kangaroos

sunny

are duncan and porter actually american or just pretending to be, in the best traditions of international league? :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Does anyone know if Clint Newton/Matt Petersen are being considered? I know Newton is eligible, and I heard that Petersen had some kind of American ties.

roopy

Referee
This game is looking like the biggest thing to happen in the League world in decades.
Games in America in the past have been wasted efforts because there has been no way to follow up on any interest generated in the sport - but a big game in NY at this time will be different because there are already 8 teams playing in the New England region, so infrastructure is in place before the interest is created.

The estimate is that there are 20,000 ex-pat aussies in NY, and probably that many pommies from the League playing areas as well. There are also roughly 10,000 Rugby Union supporters in the New England region, and American Union supporters are not strongly anti League. If the game is marketed to them they will go and have a look at the best Rugby team to play in their region (either code).

The Americans are working hard at getting together a squad who won't be disgraced, so the game will end up being a great showcase of our sport at one of the most famous venues in the world.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Hopefully the ARL figures out a way to field a competitive squad without having it blow the Tomahawks completely off the park. Full strength we managed to beat Russia 110-4 in the last World Cup, and our side has only improved since then. I'd hate for it to be a 160-0 hammering, but if the ARL are going to field a 'weaker' side, it needs to still have the feel of a full strength one- otherwise the Ra-Ra media will have a field day.

I'd imagine a younger side will be fielded anyway, with most of the big guns being rested after the English tour.

Jeffles

Bench
roopy said:
This game is looking like the biggest thing to happen in the League world in decades.

Geez you're really getting sucked in by the hype.

While it has the possibility of being a boost for the AMNRL it is hardly up to the standard of your hyperbole.

The venue hasn't been confirmed. Tickets haven't gone on sale.

Best of luck to the US. They'll need all of it and then some.

eastsrule

Bench
There is no chance they would slightly fill Yankee Stadium. The game will be an absolute blow out. There will be nothing positive out of this.