What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Iro

playdaball

Bench
Tony Iro is in charge of recruitment at the Warriors - who has he recruited? Most of the high profile signings have come via Jim Doyle. Is Tony responsible for recruiting younger or second tier players? Does he work with the coach to identify players and start the recruiting process? I'm interested to know if anybody has clear ideas.

Cheers

I would like Iro to be ousted from the Warriors he's someone I haven't trusted for years now and he hasn't done jack shit with our recruiting.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I would like Iro to be ousted from the Warriors he's someone I haven't trusted for years now and he hasn't done jack shit with our recruiting.

x2. We talk a lot about getting out the broom and sweeping away all the old boys club, those who have been there too long etc. Tony Iro has been there since what, 2005? Or earlier? I'd like to see him moved on. Go to NZRL and perform a development role, or whatever at junior level. But when you look at the O'Sullivans, the Mulhollands, even Crusher Cleal and John Ackland back when etc, these guys pick up young talent with abundance. And they'd probably be envious of the pool of talent we have in NZ.

Plus anyone who Kevin Locke rates, can't be a hard task master or a great bloke.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Also, interestingly, Iro said during the week that Matulino must've been suffering lack of confidence in terms of his form this year. Very different to what McFudd said.

Ackland shook the competition up with his talent he unleashed upon us all. Iro is exactly what his nickname suggest a "Sponge" that adsorbs all the talent away from the Warriors. Kick him out please.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Split the recruitment into 2 positions. Get someone who knows the Kiwi scene and get someone based in Australia. Clubs have been pinching Kiwi juniors for years, what is stopping us going over their and scouting the next Cronk, Slater etc?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Split the recruitment into 2 positions. Get someone who knows the Kiwi scene and get someone based in Australia. Clubs have been pinching Kiwi juniors for years, what is stopping us going over their and scouting the next Cronk, Slater etc?

I'd be more inclined to get someone in the UK. We're always at a disadvantage with getting Aussies to play for us- Auckland just isn't an attractive option for them. It's a more level playing field in terms of attracting English recruits.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
what is stopping us going over their and scouting the next Cronk, Slater etc?
True. The Storm recruit really well in Melbourne NOT!! The Storm seem to recruit well in a place called New Zealand!

I guess we could just wait for a useless Aussie scout to make a mistake and give us another James Maloney.

spear tackle

Juniors
I'd be more inclined to get someone in the UK. We're always at a disadvantage with getting Aussies to play for us- Auckland just isn't an attractive option for them. It's a more level playing field in terms of attracting English recruits.

Getting players from the UK hasn't worked to well in the past, actually getting NZ based players hasn't worked out that well for us either, too many good ones have slipped through the net.

JJ

Immortal
I guess we could just wait for a useless Aussie scout to make a mistake and give us another James Maloney.

Not sure Melbourne made a mistake, did they - I forget the actual sequence, but given their cheating they had to let some good talent go (Tolman was another). Did it come down to Maloney or Cronk as their future half? If so they didn't make a mistake

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Not sure Melbourne made a mistake, did they - Did it come down to Maloney or Cronk as their future half? If so they didn't make a mistake
Like I said, Melbourne recruit really well fullstop. No problems there at all.

I didnt know Maloney came from Melbourne. Maloney the stand off was a virtual unknown, they mustve thought of him as a Rovelli or the crap types that usually get passed down to us. But as soon as Maloney started carving up!! Oh oh someone made a MISTAKE or as we say with guys like SBW 'how did we let that player slip'.

Dont think it was a choice out of Cronk and an unknown Maloney. That wasnt the case at all. Cronk has played longer Im sure, might need to check it but surely Maloney couldve fitted in at 6 but mustve got overlooked.

Like I said Maloney was unknown, he wasnt even tipped or anything. He just showed up at our front door but we were never home thats why he shot back home as soon as he could. He clearly wanted to play in Aus but like I said, some useless aussie scout made a mistake and we got lucky.

Last edited:

Penrose_11

Juniors
He played 5 games for them during there origin period when Cronk wasn't around. Unsure who was doing our recruiting at the time but a great pickup by Cleary I guess.

Iafeta

Referee
It was Ivan who recruited him. Ivan had close relationships with North Sydney where Maloney was playing reserve grade.

Melbourne stuffed up with Maloney. They preferred old mate Finch who was on his last legs to a real talent.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It was Ivan who recruited him. Ivan had close relationships with North Sydney where Maloney was playing reserve grade.

Melbourne stuffed up with Maloney. They preferred old mate Finch who was on his last legs to a real talent.

Pretty rare stuff up from them. Probably wouldn't have kept him anyway though considering the large overlap with Cronk's career and the fact that James has an obvious preference for being Sydney based. If we hadn't poached him a Sydney club would've got there soon enough.

JJ

Immortal
It wasn't a stuff up though - clearly they've done just fine...

Even given their blatant cheating they couldn't keep everyone - they had Smith, Slater, Cronk, Hoffman, Inglis, Folou etc etc etc very strong all around squad.

Everyone knew Maloney was good, but they had quality in key positions, if it was Finch an adequate replacement, and given their 9, 7, and 1 have usually just had serviceable 6's

Seems like a rational decision IMO, one that worked well for us - and shame we couldn't keep him for longer

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Geez everyone knew Maloney was good! I honestly did not hear of Maloney before the Warriors. Suprised Storm didnt keep him if they knew he was good. An unknown player wouldve been cheap.

Well we can only speculate really. Some will say 'Maloney leaked through the cracks' and had a Sydney based offer came, he wouldve taken it. But everyone knew he was so good, they didnt chase him! Come on...it doesnt sound right.

So it wasnt a choice out of Cronk and Maloney, so that speculation is out the window, but now 'its he was so good the clubs he wanted to play for, did not pick him.' Im sure he was unknown and when I say an unknown, I mean nobody knew hed be as good as he is know.