What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 8 - Contenders and pretenders

Gaba

First Grade
There's not too many out there who hate the rorters more than me but they are playing good, entertaining footy and are looming as a genuine threat.

Roosters score against poor defensive teams and their defence isnt up to the other teams in the finals

wont be a threat in attack til they leave pearce out of their team

CMUX

Roosters score against poor defensive teams and their defence isnt up to the other teams in the finals

wont be a threat in attack til they leave pearce out of their team

You constantly say this. Who are these "good defensive" teams. We just put 30 on Brisbane and the dogs and have beaten wests, souths and titans as well as a 2 point loss to the Warriors. If anything our attack has been poorest against the bottom sides.

Obviously all sides struggle to score against dragons but apparently you only need 2 tries to beat them these days

Ulysseus

Bench
Roosters are the biggest pretenders. They don't deserve to be in the top 4 let alone the top 8. They will die a slow and painful death by the end of the year.

P.S I never though I could hate a team so much. But there's so little not to hate.

Sigh.
Snrub, go watch the storms 2007 and 2009 grand final wins, then watch how they acted in the aftermath of having their sh*t taken off them.
That should provide you with a new team to hate, and one that completely deserves it, unlike the roosters who took canberras discard and have made him into something, granted he looks like a f**king painting and still has some maturing to do, but I imagine people at the Raiders would be stabbing themselves in the neck saying "why,why,why,why did we not give him another 50 chances?, look at how he is playing!"

adamkungl

Immortal
I think Canberra is just a poisonous environment. All those politicians can't have a good effect on a young impressional bloke. It's just lucky he got out of there into the relative safety of the Eastern suburbs when he did.

eddy2

Juniors
LOL yeah eastern suburbs and our problems with substance abuse is that much better. At least he's around those of similar problems though. :p

Dutchy

Immortal
Canberra just didn't give Carney enough chances and cut him loose at the first opportunity.

AuDragon

Juniors

wont be a threat in attack til they change thier halfback
The Broncos has had the best defense in the comp for the 10 rounds prior to yesterday's game.
While we were admitedly all over the park last night, a lot of the merit has to go to the Roosters brilliance in attack.
I will agree with you that their defense is too fragile to make them contenders though.

Then again, I thought we were contenders also and got 34 pts put on us. Just hoping it was Monday Night Footy syndrome... :roll:

TBH, the ways things are going, I wouldn't dare predict the top 8, much less the grand finalists!

I am prepared to say the last 6 are gone, because I don't see enough consistency in the Raiders to win enough games. The rest is absolutely open!

NAS

Juniors
My views.

1) St George- Are starting to stutter again like they did last year. Should have lost their last 3 (only just beat the bunnies, without Issac Luke mind you). Dejavu anyone?? But I'll give a little dispensation for being without Weyman....

Verdict- Contenders but not preferred.

2) Penrith- This is a really really good football team. Though Trent Waterhouse has developed dropsies syndrome in the last few weeks, and they are clearly missing Tim Grant. Most importantly, Luke Lewis hasn't been around for a while. I reckon they'd have beaten Melbourne had he been there....If they get their full compliment back, I think they're the real deal.....

Verdict- Contenders, and worth a punt.

3) Tigers- Before you Tiggies fans blast me, hear me out....I think the tigers will be lucky to win another game this year. I think that they've been very lucky against depleted or sub standard opposition. Last week they came up against a good Manly team, and the points started to rain in. If Tim Moltzen hadn't been injured, I think your mob would have won the comp and won it well. Sadly, your season left with him, and you aint been the same since.

Verdict- Pretenders, and how.

4) Roosters-

Til last week, I was unsure how to gauge the chooks. Up one week, Down the next. But you can't deny they're on a roll at the right end of the season. To beat Brisbane at home, without their two best players is remarkable. I thought they were lucky against souths and the dogs, but you can't deny that game against the broncos....They've got something there.

Verdict- Contenders, potential dark horse.

5) Manly- They've had an up and down season, littered with fortune and misfortune. But I think this is the team to beat come september. A good forward pack, a strong backline, and classy if inexperienced halves. Sure they've had their moments in the second halves, but come the business end of the season, provided that Lyon and Ballin stay fit, they're the team to beat for mine.

Verdict- Contenders and most likely.

6) Titans- Much will be made of their defeat of the dragons, but I'm not sure it's that impressive. I'll be more impressed if they can keep it up over the next few rounds. But I smell a fade away......

Verdict- Pretenders.....They seem a little too lucky for mine.

7) Warriors- Played a great month of footy. Above everyone's expectations. Hohaia, and Seymour running the show nicely. The problem is, that they lost last weekend. I think they're a confidence team, and I'm not sure the loss is good for them at this point of the comp. That said, if they bounce back this weekend, they're in for a massive roll on with players like Rapira due back, anytime soon.

Verdict- I'll tell you after this weekend.

Souths- Poor bunnies. Just as things are looking likely, ol' lady luck abandons them. The key for the bunnies is making the 8. Do that, and they'll beat most teams in the 8 (they'll have Luke, Taylor McPherson and Geddes back by then). I think everything hinges on that Parramatta game........

Verdict- if they make the 8 intact, then they're in the top 2 or 3 sides likely.

Brisbane- really should have won last night. I think they have a massive problem at 7). He stifles their attack. But with Hodges due back, they're near enough if good enough.

Verdict- contenders if they get there.

Parramatta- the opposite of souths. They've been deadset arsey to get themselves in this position. And yet in the last 3 weeks, their pack has stiffened up, and their fullback??? Well, their fullback.......nuff said. Still, they'll need to keep the roll on...I think that souths game will determine who makes the 8 and who doesn't.......It'll be a belter.....

Tommy Smith

Referee
4) Roosters-

Til last week, I was unsure how to gauge the chooks. Up one week, Down the next. But you can't deny they're on a roll at the right end of the season. To beat Brisbane at home, without their two best players is remarkable. I thought they were lucky against souths and the dogs, but you can't deny that game against the broncos....They've got something there.
:? Lucky against the Dogs?

It was an amazing effort to win when the refs cost us about 18 points in that match.

No luck at all. In fact that was the anti-luck - all grit, skill and determination.

TheDalek079

Bench
i've been of the belief that defence will win you the finals. the team i think with the good "D" are the dragons and the warriors. however, i think there's question marks around the dragons, but would be more confident about the warriors if they were top 4 at the end of the regular season.

However, as Gus says, this premiership is there for the taking. if a team gets on a roll it's their comp to win. the think the panthers and tigers have peaked too early. these tight matches over the last month will have a toll on the roosters and we'll be too tired to be a threat in the finals. manly are too up and down to get on a roll. brisbane is too young. souffs and the titans are too far out to do it, and the parratrain will be easily derailed at some point.

to summarise, i've got no effin idea who's gonna win

SEAT 1A

Bench
Teams below CBR are gone due to %. Saints SHOULD be the MP's however play BNE, East's, Manly, CBR, NTL and Bunnies and on current form anything could happen. Weyman back for East's game, Copper, J Smith back in the team and Fien in the next few weeks hopefully the Saints should be sweet.

Saints +188 1st , Penrith +97 2nd and Manly +74 4th looks safe and can possibly drop 1 or 2 games. BNE +41 9th if they will more than they loss should make it.

W/Tigers 0 3rd, East's +5 5th, Titans -25 7th, NZ -21 6th can't afford to loss many games. Eels -12 10th should be there and CBR -50 11th can't afford to lose due to BNE and Bunnies %.

Dragons: Have the game to win it, as always, it's actually going out and doing it that will be the big question.
Contenders if they can hold their nerve (and that's a big if)

Penrith: I really don't know with penrith. They have some of the best players in the NRL on their roster (Pet, Pritchard, Jennings, Lewis), but they struggle to score points. Walsh really needs to fire, because if his kicking game is off, they won't score any points, but I am not sold on him as a big game player.
Pretenders, unless Walsh really fires come September

Roosters: I like them a lot this year. Carney is playing great football, and can steer them to the big one. A lot of the unheralded players in the side are playing out of their skin.
Contenders, a real smokey for the title for me

Tigers: I never thought I would say this about us, but our attack is really letting us down. Our defence is really going well this year (apart from a few shockers), but we aren't putting points on the board. However, with Marshall and Farah in the side, we still have the fire power, and when we turn it on, we will be incredibly hard to beat.
Contenders, if their attack clicks

Manly: Very strong side, but very inexperienced in the halves. Hodgkinson and Foran have a lot riding on them should they make it deep into the finals. They can beat any side on their day I believe, but may struggle when the heat is really on due to the inexperience of the halves.
Pretenders, unless the inexperienced halves hold their nerve

Titans: I don't see them winning it, much like last year. They will be there abouts, but are the butterfly of the teams at the top, harmless. May hang around in the finals for a week or two, but won't really threaten. They just lack something I can't put my finger on.
Pretenders, but will be there-abouts

Warriors: Have a similar problem to Manly, no real experience in the halves, and they also lack a real leader who has been there and can lead them through the finals. Pricey would be that man but he isn't there. I know Tate has won a premiership, but I just don't see him being the leader they need. Maybe next year.
Pretenders, lack the leadership/experience required

Broncos: Another darkhorse for me. Have a good mix of youth and experience, and have plenty of premiership winning players. I was once told to never write off a champion, so as long as the Broncos (or any other team with Lockyer in it) are in with a chance, they are dangerous.
Contenders, and a team that can really cause some damage in the finals

Souths: Probably won't do much damage from here on out. Too many key men out injured, can't see them making the finals, unless they just sneak into 8th. If they do make it they will be cannon fodder.
Pretenders, too many key players injured.

Parramatta: starting to fire again, if last year is anything to go by, they can really shake this competition up, I don't think they are quite there yet, but I wouldn't write them off.
Unsure, I'll wait this one out for a fortnight.

Everyone else I think is too far away from the 8, and not playing well enough to make it in there.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Wish people would stop thinking that we are back. We have a lot of work to do and quite frankly, I couldn't care if go along the same path as we did last year, it means nothing unless we win the Premiership.

With the roster we have and knowing what we are capable of, I should be more confident of our chances this year, but I'm not.

Latest posts