What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Wolfpack win first game

Golden point

Juniors
I think the us is a harder nut to crack than Canada. The Florida state seems the most willing to try a new sport . You have a point but you can't fund a team forever and in a lot of places as soon as the money dries up the sport folds. So unless they grow a die hard supporter base in the 10s of 1000s it's not sustainable.

If you look at current interest in RL there's only two places in North America that have drawn crowds of any note, especially more than once. Toronto and Jacksonville. But Toronto has the advantage of a shorter flight time to and from the UK. Then again, more poms would be willing to go to a game in Florida I suspect. If the USA was to follow the Toronto lead and get a team into League 1 they'd obviously need someone with a lot of money and that would determine where the club was based, but based on current RL support it would make sense to try Jacksonville where they already have fans, or possibly New York/Philly area where most players are from.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Perez has said that NY and Boston would be the most likely destinations for US pro teams. But TBH I don't see it happening. I don't know what the way forward is in terms of pro teams in the US.

Golden point

Juniors
NY would be great. My main reservation is how unsuccessful the London Broncos have been in terms of support. Big white collar cities don't seem to take to such a brutal sport, even Sydney seems as though the bigger and more safisticated it gets the smaller the crowds get. Ny seems to have a lot of teams probably due to the expat component although not much of a fan base witch is critical-paying fans. Usarl should focus it growth strategy at small working class cities imo .

adamkungl

Immortal
NY would be great. My main reservation is how unsuccessful the London Broncos have been in terms of support. Big white collar cities don't seem to take to such a brutal sport, even Sydney seems as though the bigger and more safisticated it gets the smaller the crowds get. Ny seems to have a lot of teams probably due to the expat component although not much of a fan base witch is critical-paying fans. Usarl should focus it growth strategy at small working class cities imo .

I don't think there's any future in RL being a purely small-town game. Need to invest in big cities like the NRL has in Melbourne. Big cities bring much needed media and sponsor attention. Better being noticeable in London than being big in Castleford.

Golden point

Juniors
I guess. Although that's the nrl,they can afford the the $2 million deficit that the very successful storm run . The London team isn't something the super league can afford to prop up .so I hardly think rl in its infancy in North America can afford such a gamble. You could throw millions on marketing in a place like NY and not even make a dent. I said small cities not towns. Jacksonville is a perfect example. I just don't think we should be trying to push a small sport at one of the greatest cities on the planet first.

Sjrugby

Juniors
But with the axeman I feel they actually have some respect from the international rugby community

Golden point

Juniors
But with the axeman I feel they actually have some respect from the international rugby community
That's right. They have genuine sense of local community spirit behind them and a unique brand. This makes them a great draw card even for people in the uk to come and to come and see their team play the Axemen from jaxsonville usa

Latest posts