What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel Tips?? HELP NEEDED :(

Garts

Bench
I have a visa debit with nab and get no fees for os withdrawals. It is great.

The Devil

Bench
When I went to Japan I used ANZ's Travel Card. They gave me the best exchange rate, the application cost was around $10, and you can use it as a credit card or debit card.

All transactions as a credit card are free and withdrawls from an ATM attract a fee, but can't really remember how much it was. But being in America, there'd be credit facilities all around so you could easily take advantage of that there.

nibbs

Bench
L,

When you go to an ATM, you withdraw whatever currency you're in (Euro, Fijian Dollar, US Dollar) from your own funds.

When i was in Europe i used my Visa Debit Credit Card to access my own cash (there were slight fees, but nothing over the top, and the exchange was similar to anything you could find over there) and used a Wizerd Clear Advantage Mastercard for emergencies.

do this imo, elle. when i was in europe, traveling as far east as istanbul and as far north as inverness, i used visa debit. just keep in mind the probability of an account fee each time you do it. i typically took out about $250 in local currency each time.

Alba

Coach
When I went to Japan I used ANZ's Travel Card. They gave me the best exchange rate, the application cost was around $10, and you can use it as a credit card or debit card.

All transactions as a credit card are free and withdrawls from an ATM attract a fee, but can't really remember how much it was. But being in America, there'd be credit facilities all around so you could easily take advantage of that there.

can you lock in the current exchange rate?

The Devil

Bench
Yep, you'll need to make a deposit on the card first so its best to make a large first deposit, as I think there are charges associated with deposits placed later.

ANZ's rate was the closest to market rate I got when I went to Japan in Decemeber, so I doubt too much has changed.

The major advantage is obviously free credit transactions and the great exchange rate offered.

Also another tip is if you can afford to, use your credit card or even make withdrawls from your keycard, as you'll get the market exchange rate not the crappy rate offered by currency exchange offices and major banks. My friend did this and even with all the fees, he got more value from withdrawing than exchanging his money.

Flapper

First Grade
Im going to Europe in Aug/Sept myself and I'm trying to figure out the ame thing. Haev a stack of travel card brochures at home to sift through

Moffo

Referee
pack what you think you will need and then get rid of half of it. lugging luggage around on OS trips is hell

Alba

Coach
Yep, you'll need to make a deposit on the card first so its best to make a large first deposit, as I think there are charges associated with deposits placed later.

ANZ's rate was the closest to market rate I got when I went to Japan in Decemeber, so I doubt too much has changed.

The major advantage is obviously free credit transactions and the great exchange rate offered.

Also another tip is if you can afford to, use your credit card or even make withdrawls from your keycard, as you'll get the market exchange rate not the crappy rate offered by currency exchange offices and major banks. My friend did this and even with all the fees, he got more value from withdrawing than exchanging his money.

thanks mate.. will definitely look into that!!

The Devil

Bench
No worries, have a blast!

Just wish I could join my friends, they're all going to NZ for a week of snow and extreme activities and then 3 weeks in the US. Lucky b*stards lol

Alba

Coach
I went and got myself a travel card today! Wish I had've done it when it was 82c!! but I put 10000 in it and there is 7831.00 US$ which I still think is pretty good.. and the rest of my money I'll probably just have in cash/cheques and on my debit card...

Agent Mulder

Bench
I went and got myself a travel card today! Wish I had've done it when it was 82c!! but I put 10000 in it and there is 7831.00 US$ which I still think is pretty good.. and the rest of my money I'll probably just have in cash/cheques and on my debit card...

I went to the U.S two years back when the dollar was 84c, Got $1000US for $1258AUS, So what you got was pretty good, Are you going to Rodeo Drive or something with that 7k??? :lol: Seems like alot me and my wife took 1000 each and still came back with money, Although all our hotels and things in Anaheim, LA, Arizona, Las Vegas and San Fran were paid in Advance.

We had a blast over there.

Alba

Coach
I went to the U.S two years back when the dollar was 84c, Got $1000US for $1258AUS, So what you got was pretty good, Are you going to Rodeo Drive or something with that 7k??? :lol: Seems like alot me and my wife took 1000 each and still came back with money, Although all our hotels and things in Anaheim, LA, Arizona, Las Vegas and San Fran were paid in Advance.

We had a blast over there.

yeah everything is paid for, my money is all for spending.. I still have to purchase US Open tix though and Def Leppard concert tix .. but other than that my basics are paid for.. I'm there for 2 mths and I don't wanna have to WANT anything that I can't have so I'm pretty much gonna come back in alotta debt.. LOL .. well I hope not.. I'm jus gonna make sure I don't leave wishing I did something that I didn't just because of money .. and also hope to God I don't start dippin into the credit card and use my own money! Gonna shop in Barstow + Vegas @ the outlets.. woo! and probably headin up to Boston for a bit .. jus wanna see and do things every day!

Agent Mulder

Bench
yeah everything is paid for, my money is all for spending.. I still have to purchase US Open tix though and Def Leppard concert tix .. but other than that my basics are paid for.. I'm there for 2 mths and I don't wanna have to WANT anything that I can't have so I'm pretty much gonna come back in alotta debt.. LOL .. well I hope not.. I'm jus gonna make sure I don't leave wishing I did something that I didn't just because of money .. and also hope to God I don't start dippin into the credit card and use my own money! Gonna shop in Barstow + Vegas @ the outlets.. woo! and probably headin up to Boston for a bit .. jus wanna see and do things every day!

Ahhh ok, We went for 21 days in total with travelling, But yeah 2 months! Im jealous, i love the place and you will have a good time, You will find food in America is very cheap and so is Booze, I think the most we paid for a Coke was 3 bucks inside Disneyland, Vegas is the best place in the world! Lots of Shopping, Drinking and Gambling, US OPEN sounds like fun! You will come back with debt dont worry about that! But its all worth it.

I cant wait to go back again!