What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent who to Pemriff Panfas

Dave Q

Coach
drake said:
That's because he's an over-rated hack with a pea heart. Amongst other things.

Let him run out in Pemrif colours, watch him get belted stupid by players across the competition.

Some say this fellow is beyond help but I dont think so. I will just need a government grant.

drake

First Grade
Dave Q said:
Some say this fellow is beyond help but I dont think so. I will just need a government grant.
I daresay the government won't fund a man on near half a million dollars a year transplanting a vegetable seed for a working human heart.

Dave Q

Coach
drake said:
I daresay the government won't fund a man on near half a million dollars a year transplanting a vegetable seed for a working human heart.

Need I remind you that its an election year.

big pat

Coach
ok dave i'm back from the pub so i have a bit of ammo to fire me up.. lets look at this in a logical way, st george inherited barrett from illawarra where he held god like status, then along came saints with a stable of stars and poor old trent was no longer the number 1 man, ok barrett did alright for a couple of seasons been selected for soo&aussie test team,but when the emergence of talent like gas,cooper,hornby and others trent was no longer the man,the fact that he kept getting injuried, plus suspentions, meant barrett was losing a lot of game time,then came the time to go to england and what happens because of that idiot doust,saints are left with a 80k bill on their salary cap,so good luck to barrett if he comes back and signs with penrith,i just have my doubts like lyons he will fit back into the nrl, because like lyons the nice soft piches are no match for tough world of the nrl,and dave ask yourself this whatwould souths do if they came up against barrett at penrith take it easy on him, i think not, nice talking with you dave.

Father Ted

First Grade
Willow said:
I consider Barrett to be a player who never reached his potential. I saw him play some very good games but he sometimes fell short (same as numerous other players). This was compounded by the injuries - and he had plenty of time on the sideline.

I don't think he was a 'great' player and I was never convinced that he commanded full respect as a club captain. But he wasn't too shabby and I do think he was one of the better players we've had over the last 10 years.

That sums up Barrett perfectly for me Willow . Besides we can't afford him in more ways than one .

Father Ted

First Grade
Dave Q said:
True but this is not about Souths today, its about our feelings concerning the imminent signing of Trent for the Panthers.

Lets picture him in black for a moment. A big Sanyo across his broad chest.

A proud manner is his swagger as he throws the ball to Sammut.

Visualise this in your mind, just for a moment ( dont overdo it)

How do we all feel now?

We honestly don't care .

Dave Q

Coach
big pat said:
ok dave i'm back from the pub so i have a bit of ammo to fire me up.. lets look at this in a logical way, st george inherited barrett from illawarra where he held god like status, then along came saints with a stable of stars and poor old trent was no longer the number 1 man, ok barrett did alright for a couple of seasons been selected for soo&aussie test team,but when the emergence of talent like gas,cooper,hornby and others trent was no longer the man,the fact that he kept getting injuried, plus suspentions, meant barrett was losing a lot of game time,then came the time to go to england and what happens because of that idiot doust,saints are left with a 80k bill on their salary cap,so good luck to barrett if he comes back and signs with penrith,i just have my doubts like lyons he will fit back into the nrl, because like lyons the nice soft piches are no match for tough world of the nrl,and dave ask yourself this whatwould souths do if they came up against barrett at penrith take it easy on him, i think not, nice talking with you dave.

Exactly.

And you have made a point that Willow has also made and that is that Barrett for all of his talent, is not the greatest footballer on the planet at this time ( unlike Asotasi ).

Thus the harbouring and carriage of misgivings about his kind thoughts for the Panthers is best tempered.

But the depth of feeling on the issue, even though its not admitted here, is that people still consider him to be a player of some note.

And thats what's disturbing people.

That nagging feeling that when he plays in black, like cream he will rise to the surface.

If we work through it, we can resolve this issue.

And its nice talking to you Big Pat and again, I agree with you about Lyon.

Lyon is a complete pork chop and grossly overrated. But If we have to get our hands grubby discussing Manly, in my view, Menzies is twice the player.

drake

First Grade
Incorrect assumption that he will play better as a Panfa than as a Dragon is what is disturbing people.

The fact that he was released from Saints for 'unknown' reasons, with 2 years left on his contract, after we had released Daniel Holdsworthy because4 'Baz' was going nowhere, bothers some of us.

Father Ted

First Grade
drake said:
Incorrect assumption that he will play better as a Panfa than as a Dragon is what is disturbing people.

The fact that he was released from Saints for 'unknown' reasons, with 2 years left on his contract, after we had released Daniel Holdsworthy because4 'Baz' was going nowhere, bothers some of us.

To me the disturbing part is us paying him big money to play elseware .

drake

First Grade
Father Ted said:
To me the disturbing part is us paying him big money to play elseware .
There is sthat as well.
Thanks padre, I forgot we were paying the numb nuts for reneging on his contract and playing Easy League.

Dave Q

Coach
big pat said:
is their any substance to this rumour, or do we just take mark geyer's word for it.

No idea actually.

But that's not the issue deep down for me.

Its the feelings that have manifested themselves following the rumour that I am concerned with!

big pat

Coach
when i met the preacher a while back,talking about LU i asked him what he thought of daveQ, he said of all the trolls in the st george forum he liked his fits of banter, lots of harmless fun, so dont spoil it dave accept our grievences and move on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Father Ted said:
That sums up Barrett perfectly for me Willow . Besides we can't afford him in more ways than one .
I remember seeing him fire out a bullet cut-out pass across the backline. It landed smack on Cooper's chest and he was into a gap. I was in perfect line to see (and hear) it all. A winger in support eventually got the try and Cooper was getting the applause, but Barrett set it up 70 metres beforehand.

It was beautiful to watch and being a Barrett fan was suddenly very easy.

Unfortunately these flashes of brillance didn't happen often enough.

Later in the same match, Baz was limping off with an ankle injury and we all knew he was gone for another '4 weeks'.

Dave Q

Coach
big pat said:
when i met the preacher a while back,talking about LU i asked him what he thought of daveQ, he said of all the trolls in the st george forum he liked his fits of banter, lots of harmless fun, so dont spoil it dave accept our grievences and move on.

A closer observation would have resulted in your noticing that Mr The Preacher he had his fingers crossed.

Besides, if I left prematurely, he'd have no one to beat up on when the mood took his fancy.

And its not a matter of spoiling the saints LU forum-wide accepted position on Mr Barrett.

I am merely trying to leave the door slightly ajar to usher in more positive assessments of the percieved loss.

Put more crudely a nonspecific, well intentioned attempt at "damage control."

Big Pat I do accept that people will read what they want to.

Willow taught me that.

Dave Q

Coach
Willow said:
I remember seeing him fire out a bullet cut-out pass across the backline. It landed smack on Cooper's chest and he was into a gap. I was in perfect line to see (and hear) it all. A winger in support eventually got the try and Cooper was getting the applause, but Barrett set it up 70 metres beforehand.

It was beautiful to watch and being a Barrett fan was suddenly very easy.

Unfortunately these flashes of brillance didn't happen often enough.

Later in the same match, Baz was limping off with an ankle injury and we all knew he was gone for another '4 weeks'.

A more balanced view or a cagey assesent?

Notice how he expresses the detail of a game event. Thats more endearing for mine than the glib finale he proffers in relation to the injury.

Dave Q

Coach
Father Ted said:
I say what I mean and mean what I say Dave .

Well with the greatest of respect and subliminal deference, the term "we" appears to exclude a number of voices here father.

Are you sure you are not just tickling us at the moment?

It seems to me, I duly detect that you have a stronger view on the topic than you feel inclined to share with us.

I could be wrong, but you seem to be obscuring something here father.

Call it instinct I dont know.

Not that you shouldnt... if that is your want.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dave Q said:
A more balanced view or a cagey assesent?

Notice how he expresses the detail of a game event. Thats more endearing for mine than the glib finale he proffers in relation to the injury.
I'm right here dave. You don't have talk in the third person. lol

Latest posts