What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRI-NATIONS I (2006) AUSTRALIA v GREAT BRITAIN

The Piper

Juniors
AUSTRALIA v GREAT BRITAIN

logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg
logo_lions_GB-100x100.jpg

THE BRIAN BEVAN CUP

• This is a game thread only, therefore only game-related posts can be made here. Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
• Captains must post their entire team (including reserves) before posting and only those players listed may play this round.
• Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

REP Match rules:
7 posts per team.
Teams allowed 3 reserves each.
Total (including reserves): 10 players per team.

Rules of play: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Full Time: WEDNESDAY 8 NOVEMBER at 9:00PM (SYD TIME)

Venue: The Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

Crowd: TBA
REFEREE: Mystique
**The Referee Blows Game On!**

Pistol

Coach
gbshirt.jpg

Proudly leading the Lions from the British Isles, Pistol takes his team out ready for a strong performance

Pistol (c)
Big Mick (Co Pilot)
Morticia
Bartman
Crusher
grenneyed
Cheesie The Pirate

Bench

Master Vippo
rabs
CWBush

lets have a good game team

Crusher

Coach
crusher runs ontot he field for the old dart
borgclose.gif

20/40 Vision

It’s been almost thirty years since I became one of the power brokers of this once glorious game. It was a place where serious decisions were made and where loyalty still counted just a little. Now it’s a place where a player or administrators career can be made or broken by the swift movement of a gold pen. As I gaze out into the horizon from my executive suite at Murdoch Worldwide Rugby League Enterprises for the last time, I wonder, what in God’s name happened?

I believe it all started the day they legalised drugs. After years of fighting this terminal sporting infection the powers that be, myself included, decided we were fighting a lost cause. I still remember the day Rupert stood up and said ‘if we can’t beat it, bugger it’. With that a new chapter of Rugby League was born.

Within a few short years, the 110kg winger running 11 seconds flat was the benchmark. Players from the drug free era either joined the new dynasty or faced certain oblivion. The change came at a cost. Unbeknown to us at the time, injuries were to become more serious and occur with monotonous regularity. The players were not only fitter and faster, but as strong as raging bulls charging the red rag. Something had to give, and it did.

As each year passed promising players were wiped out of the game. Those heading towards the end of their reign chose to end it earlier. Others became shadows of their former selves living out the rest of their lives in constant pain from the years of battering. Rupert, then 98, called an emergency meeting of the executive committee. He stood up in front of his loyal gathering and said ‘we need to move forward with Robotronics’. I can speak for the rest us when I say we were stunned. We all knew his business interests were involved in this blossoming industry. We also knew he was subjecting himself to the process. How else could anyone explain a 98 year old man being in such good health? Then he explained to us all how far this industry had come and how rugby league would be the next beneficiary. We heard of all types of robotic transplants imaginable. Hearts, lungs, eyes, and even full limb replacement. If league players were to survive this new era they too would need to benefit from this new technology.

Within another few short years the rules were in place allowing for up to 60% robotic makeup. As the new chairman of International Rugby League Enterprises I was to oversee the exciting new developments in the game. It did have its’ positives. Andrew Johns, now 60, remarkably announced he was making a return to resuscitate the fortunes of a Newcastle team that had been in free-fall for over a decade. His brain function was still as fresh as in his younger days, so it was amazing what a fresh set of robotronic limbs could do. Who will ever forget the decided or 2034 when Johns kicked a 70 metre penalty goal in the dying moments to rob Melbourne of the title they'd been yearning so desperately for 30 years.

This set an astonishing trend for other past players. Some returned out of club desperation while others did so after falling upon hard times. One such player in the latter group was Greg Inglis. In his heyday he was one of the richest sportsmen in Australia. He had sponsorship deals left, right and centre. After retiring, he found himself out of the spotlight he had become so accustomed to and turned to gambling and alcohol, squandering his fortune in the process.

The positives of this new technology soon became grossly outweighed by the negatives. Rich clubs were bestowing the latest robotronic offerings on their players whilst the poorer clubs were left out to dry. The competition was to say the least becoming ‘robotic’ in its monotony.

Then came the decision that led to my ultimate disgust with the organisation. Rupert, in his 110th year, announced to the senior committee that Rugby League was to follow the same path as wrestling. Matches were to be decided before they began in an attempt to restore the game to its former glory. Players and officials were to sign a new confidentiality agreement with severe penalties for disclosure. This was the culmination of his 20/40 vision. I subsequently resigned but not before the rugby league abomination was complete.

(750 words)

The Piper

Juniors
ARL.jpg

The Roos hop to it

Team
Waken (c) (Sharks)
eloquentEEL (vc) (Eels)

Willow (Bluebags)
Prince Charles (Pirates)
Azkatro (Panthers)
Steel Dragon (Lions)
Bubbles (Eels)

Reserves
griffo346 (Sharks)

Just Another 'Dogs Supporter (Bluebags)
Stelios Giannakopoulos (Raiders)

Best of luck to both sides.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
kangaroos_badge04.gif
*Willow runs on for the Kangaroos*

The habit of winning

sh_gladiators.JPG

“One of the sayings is, ‘it’s just another game’… well that’s not right!”

During an interview in 1998, the most successful player in the history of the competition, Norm ‘Sticks’ Provan told us how to win a rugby league grand final.

“Grand finals are NOT just another game. They are a special game, and that’s what you’ve got to instil into your players.”

Sounds simple but as any coach will tell you, to impress the winning formula into a player’s mindset is perhaps the most difficult aspect of coaching. Nothing has changed. The winning habit is as elusive today as it was in Norm’s day.

From 1951-1965, Norm Provan played in no less than 10 winning grand finals, including four as captain-coach. During this time he posted a record 269 games for the St George Dragons - a career which was interrupted by Provan’s own commitments to provide for his family. His first grand final victory was in 1956, a match won with just 12 men and a special memory for Provan who rates the 56ers as one of the greatest sides he has ever played in. He was also part of the undefeated Dragons outfit of 1959. Provan’s leadership saw a wealth of talent being attracted to the Club, a legacy which reached into the 1980s. On the representative front, Provan played for New South Wales and Australia, playing in 14 Tests.

A Sutherland junior, Norm Provan is arguably the greatest second rower to ever play the game.

”You’ve got to do things in a grand final that you wouldn’t do any other time. You’ve got to try harder, tackle harder, run faster… be there more often. All those things have got to be instilled into them for a grand final.”

According to Norm, this was no mean feat. It was something that had to be taught but more importantly, it had to be learned.

“I learned how to win grand finals. It’s a learning process. It’s the same as winning each game… you learn to win. It’s a habit!”

In the modern game, Norm Provan could just as easily be part of the Brisbane Broncos pack, a team that has touched the notion of unbridled success and experienced the winning habit. In past decades, the old powerhouses of Parramatta, Easts and Souths spring to mind as other clubs that were, for a time, hooked on the habit.

But when it comes to individual greatness, it's hard to ignore Norm Provan's achievements.

Following the mud soaked grand final of 1963, the lanky Provan and diminutive Wests’ five-eighth Arthur Summons were immortalised in John O'Gready's award winning photograph, 'The Gladiators' - an image of two rugby league warriors embracing while caked in the posterity of grand final football. It was a magic moment and the famous photograph later became the model for the premiership trophies of the 1990s and into the 21st century.

In 1965, ‘Sticks’ announced his retirement and did a final lap of honour to a record Sydney Cricket Ground crowd of 78,065 fans.

Norm Provan should be a Rugby League Immortal - an oversight which baffles many league observers. But the politics of selection (“…can’t have another St George player”) and the sharing around of the award (“…more Queenslanders please”) have intervened to deny Norm this one accolade.

Nevertheless, Norm Provan is a legend. In recognition of his achievements, he was inducted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame in 2004. But perhaps more importantly, Norm is widely regarded as the unofficial ambassador of rugby league and one of the game's true gentlemen.

Nowadays, Provan is still a winner. He lives on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast and is a successful businessman. He has also been known to be a strong advocate for environmental protection.

As part of the all-conquering Dragons teams in the 1950s and 1960s, you could be excused for thinking that ‘Sticks’ had it easy. But when Norm speaks, people listen… and the over confident should heed his words on the fickleness of fate.

“The habit of winning is the same as the habit of losing.”

*685 words*
*Ref: http://www.showroom.com.au/dragons/dragonshistory*

eloquentEEL

First Grade
kangaroos_badge04.gif
eloquentEEL for Australia, enters The Front Row Stadium with poetic licence in hand

Ye Olde Footytale

Act I Scene I

“Sing with Glee son,” Orrdered the King, “for you are a Manly Prince and A Defender of the Queen's land.”

“Archers, at the Reddy.
Noble Knights, in position with Lance in hand, prepare to Storm the Marsh.
Rovers, Hyde beHind marsh until Bell rings and cover the retreat.
HarleQuinns, share your Witt and Tall is a Riddell or three, but remember… Kid well in Poore taste.”

“Thou Wish art my command” replied the clown.
“What makes a good Bride, son?”
“A woman of two halves… half dummy, half hooker.”

“Why did the ‘Chief’ have the Roosters in a lineup?”
“He was trying to identify the alleged ‘Chook’ Raper.”

“Why didn’t the Dyke’s dress fit properly?”
“She wanted a Taylor, but I heard ‘Sailor’.”

“Fairleigh funny, but not your Best.
Now Marshall the troops, upon theField encRoach.
Lett the witch Hunt begin.
Attack!”

Act I Scene II

“I see you finally caught one.”
“Yes, but Waite until you hear Wat ‘er house was like.”
“Spider Webbs everywhere.”
“It was a Bug den.”
“Cockroaches and grass‘Hoppa’s aplenty.”
“And we found this 'Cookebook of scrumptious, dEelicious, ‘Fatty’ morsels'…”

In the FOGS of the Kissing season
The cauldron Boyles and it calls
For Lamb and Cow, boys and girls,
Thorny Rose and Tigers’ balls*
Tongue of Panther, Canetoad Croker,
Peacock feather, eye of Newt on
Pigg insides from a Cunning ham,
Beattieng Wings of Bird and Dragon

Mix ‘Sticky’ Stu art with Wooden spoon**
Then Howl ett a Blue Moon

* may substitute with Lyon.
** no Sharp Edged Crockery

“Howe dis‘Gus’ting Carne you get?”
“We’re going to Lock ‘yer up, witch.”
“We’ll Walk ‘er to the Gallow, ‘ay?”
“Pearce that Grothe on her nose and feed her to the Lyons.”
“No. We’ll Byrne her and Turn ‘er into a Solo mona. Moore Burns, less deCay, less stinky.”
“I like it. String ‘er up.”
“U tai her up.”
“No, you Tai ‘a up.”

Half-time Intermission
Bai your Ale and Rabbit ‘Pies… expecting to Pay 40? 20? Worth 10 pounds Sterling in Canterbury; the Price here is only one Coyne.

Act II Scene I

“Sir, we found a Mapp under a Stone in a Burrow.”
“This Cross, down the Bottom, marks a New castle or Palae’eas in a Southern country.”
“New?”
“South?”
“Wales?”
“A Castle for Dumass?”
“What about this?”
“They Drew a Carige… no, a coach… no, that’s a Pyper with his ‘Mary’ bandWagon.”
“Probably not important. Prepare for a Seage.
Also, get a Mason and the Black lockSmith.”
“Why not the White, Brown, Maroon, Green oR udder lockSmith?”
“He has Tu qui rings, not one. So…”

“Sorry to interrupt. A Messenger doth Arrive Alivein the tri-colours of our camp. I had him stand off to the side Back over there.”
“Ta, hu is he?”
“He looks like a Field Sargent.”
“Does he sPeek our Language? Well? enswer me. Kenny or Carney?”
“I kin.” interrupted the Inglishman. “It’s been a Long journey. I need Too pi.”
“Of course. Head down the Hall, pass the statue of the queen And ‘er son to find the Bathroom.”

As he departed, the others discussed L’e stranger.

“His handshake was too Firm; and those Pierceing eyes. I saw Gilt in an otherwise earnest Young man.”
“Innocent until Provan guilty?”
“No. We take no Chances.”
“So Watt’s the plan?”
“We could just kill him on suspicion, but let’s check with the Senior captain. He Mai ‘av a better idea.”

Act II Scene II

“Masters, have him drawn, quartered and sent back to the Pypers.”
“That’s Skandalis. It’s too Far ahWey, man!”
“Yea man. You have to folLowe this Perrylous Ridge for Myles.”
“And we must beware of Galloping Broncos. They kick like a Moule.”
“Fair enough. Just pick the top four body parts, and take a Gallen drum, perhaps 5/8 full, back over the Hill.”
“You’ll lend us a Barrow or Cart, wright?”
“Yes, yes. Now go…”

“…Good Greif. What happened to the King?”
“He took a knock on his knee.”
“He was with the Champion Warriors, in the Senter of the army’s second row and got shot with a CrossBow man…”
“…but he Can berr a bit of Payne.”
“I see these Daley.
With Luck from the Saints, he’ll be Fien in the casualty Ward.
We must take a Luak in the wound.
Strip him down to his longJohns.”
“Alright, but he won’t be Hape. He Ryles like a Moodie Bear.”
“It’s just a Nik… au!”
“Long live the King!”

bartman

Immortal
Bartman runs on for GB&I, never imagining the day he’d be proudly sponsored by a six bladed razor?

- - - - -

When Whose Tribes Go To War?

_42253976_morley_getty_270.jpg

The current Tri-Nations series has unearthed some of the most competitive feeling in international rugby league for some time. Not only on the scoreboard (with the Kiwis coming with in a minute of beating Australia, and the Brits going one better), but also in the media and here in the forums.

In the series so far we’ve had Morley and Mason test the limits of combat, Selwyn Bennett push the boundaries of eligibility, we’ve had comparisons between Blackpool and Bondi, and we’ve had columnists spouting Aussie supremacy before a ball had even been kicked. Sure, it’s the post-season and some might think the international game needs to shout its rivalries from the rooftops to capture the interest of casual fans.

But has international rugby league always harboured such intense nationalism and desire to win at all costs, with this much seeming to hinge on the end result? Or is all this raw competitiveness a more modern affectation, a gradual response to so many years of Australia being considered the rugby league yard stick, or even a symptom of our collective reaction to world affairs in this age of border security and fear?

Many would be surprised to realise that our sport’s first international games were played in a much friendlier atmosphere, intended largely as exhibition matches to increase the popularity of the new game amongst a wider pool of supporters and potential players. The first match involving New Zealand took place in 1907 in England, and the touring side were even brought over with no previous experience of playing under the actual rules(1). The first match involving Australia was played in 1908 down in London to try and showcase the attractiveness of this Northern version of rugby for rival spectators(2).

So given that context isn’t it a bit ludicrous that we’re now getting so uptight about whether a New Zealand-born player wearing Australian colours was right to punch an Englishman who many fans would be cheering on were he to play for their club in the NRL every week? Isn’t it slightly misguided that we’re concentrating on the wrongful selection of an Australian-born player who under the eligibility rules of residency would be entitled to run out for the Kiwis come April next year anyway? Where instead is the simple focus on the talents on show or the celebration of play and tactics that have made this a competitive series?

I had always been intrigued by a story my Dad once told me, following a holiday visit to the Norfolk Islands. In the 1908s they had a senior rugby league competition on the Island consisting of just four clubs – the Blues, the Greens, the Reds and the Golds. These teams didn’t represent areas or territories; from what he could gather the colour identities were just artificial memberships that were passed down through families, like belonging to school sporting houses? He went along to watch the weekend’s games and was taken by how ferociously competitive the matches were (including injuries requiring hospitalisation) and all with no sense of regionalism at stake.

At the end of the day International League is meant to be the best against the best, and it should live and die based only on the quality created on the field. That quality should stand on its own merit for all to see, without whinging over decisions and rulings, and without needing media experts stirring dissention and controversies to talk up the contests. Sure, I’ll always support my country and cheer my players on, but at the end of the day if it’s a quality representative match and the best team on the night win, I’ll walk away happy even if my nation is the loser.

Club tribalism I can easily understand, but I just can’t get whipped into a nationalistic frenzy when there are such blurry lines about who is eligible to wear what colour jersey anyway? Maybe the Norfolk Islanders got it right – divide the best players up into four teams, and just watch for the sheer joy of the natural sport, and not all the phoney baloney about two tribes going to war. Give me a cracker of a match and I won’t care who punches who, who is selected to play for whom, or even which team lifts the trophy – just like in the old days of the first internationals, where what mattered most was a good exhibition of skill and entertaining play on the field.

- - - - -

Word count: 750 between the lines

Sources:
(1) http://www.rl1895.com/1904.htm
(2) http://rl1908.com/Kangaroos/1908-ashes.htm

Prince Charles

Juniors
Prince Charles for Australia

-------------------------------------------------

Number Seven

I could never understand it. For those who don’t know of it, the CN Tower is situated in Toronto, Canada and to any Sydneysider it would be best described as similar to Centerpoint Tower. Built in the 1970’s, its purpose was to stand tall over all other nearby buildings to broadcast a perfect television signal to the good folk of Toronto.

CNTower.gif

Now that is all well and good I can hear you say… but so what? Well to me it is one part of the two greatest mysteries in the world involving the number seven. You see the CN Tower is listed as one of the seven wonders of the modern world… and I just don’t understand why. It is just a tall building that improved TV signals. Big whoop! This irked me for a long time, especially when our own Sydney Opera House has to settle for the forgotten wonders list ffs! But I was able to remain content that there was only one mystery involving the number seven in the world. Then along came Ben Hornby.

Now I should start by saying that I have been a big fan of the Dragons’ Ben Hornby for some time. He is a wonderful footballer to watch and is quite possibly the number one utility in the game, perhaps even verging on Australian selection as a utility.

However over the last few seasons we have watched the Dragons experiment with Hornby in the number seven jersey as halfback. This was done not so much out of choice but through the continuous injury problems that have plagued Mathew Head. Hornby’s performances there have been stable without setting the world on fire. A handy replacement, however not a long term solution in the number seven.

Then, at around this time last week, Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart made the brazen move to select Ben Hornby to wear possibly the greatest jersey in Rugby League. The Australian Number Seven. Before him were the ghosts of Dally M Medal winner Johnathan Thurston, two time grand final winner and former Australian Captain Andrew Johns, Clive Churchill Medal winner Brett Kimmorley, four time grand final hero Peter Sterling, another four time grand final hero in Steve Mortimer, Ricky Stuart, Allan Langer Tom Raudonikis… you get the picture. This is the most pivotal role in the greatest team in the world of Rugby League and it is handed to a part-timer.

Upon hearing this I took to the streets to join the herds of Australian League fans who would no doubt be storming down Phillip Street to protest this selection at ARL headquarters. But no one was storming… in fact there were no herds at all. I thought I might at least find Dally M Halfback of the Year winner Cooper Cronk there but even he was missing!

It seemed as if no one cared at all as Ricky Stuart dropped the value of a jersey that he himself has shares in. Granted Ricky is not all to blame as he was given a squad of players that included only one specialist halfback. However, much like the Sydney Opera House at a Seven Wonders of the World convention, an uninjured Johnathan Thurston watched on from the sideline as an uninspiring Australian team trotted out one of their worst performances in recent times and in the process, handed Great Britain their first victory against Australia, in Australia in nearly fifteen years.

arljumper.gif

So now we look forward to Australia’s next match which once again is against Great Britain. Who will Coach Stuart select as his number seven? Should he choose Ben Hornby once more then I feel it will be fair to call for Stuart’s sacking as national coach. However if he selects Johnathan Thurston then it will be nothing short of an admission that he was wrong in selecting Hornby last weekend. Having said that, I am sure that despite Stuart making it clear that he was not happy with Thurston after Australia’s defeat of New Zealand in Melbourne, he will still hide behind the old “rotation system” again.

Now I have always thought of myself as a reasonably level-headed person who can always see others points of view. But I feel I have every right to be angry about the two greatest mysteries in the world involving the number seven. How Ben Hornby and the CN Tower received selection in their respective fields will always be one of life’s great puzzles.

---------------------------------------------------

744 words between the lines

Master Vippo

Juniors
Master Vippo charges forward for Great Britain in his maiden representative match.

Riding the Bandwagon

It’s been an up and down year for us Bandwagon fans, following the greatest game of all. It’s been a year of heartbreak, embarrassment and fleeting success. We’ve toiled hard trying to find the right team to support, followed their ups, disowned them in their downs, and then rejoiced when they rose again.

I vividly remember, well not so much vividly remember as vaguely recall, but all the missing parts have been filled for me so it’s ok. It was some point towards the end of the season, the Broncos were in a slump, I was wearing my KFC variety bucket as a hat and was leading a chant from my pedestal a-top the pool table-“Wayne’s gotta go! Wayne’s gotta go!”. My fellow Bennett haters beamed up at me waiting for more Rugby League wisdom-“Bennett couldn’t lead a horshe to water” I slurred, I was told I fell off the table at that point, but only remember waking up on a train to Mt. Isa with no shoes, shirt or ticket, but that’s not important. Anyway, I arrived at Grand Final night with a Storm shirt on, but sometime around half-time, I had to drop a grogan, and I came back wearing a Broncos jersey. “That Wayne Bennett is a genius” I stated later that night, “he tricked us all! Why isn’t he coaching Australia?” I questioned, conveniently forgetting the picture of him in a ‘roos shirt I had used as a dartboard last year.

The start of the season held a lot of heartbreak for the bandwagon, round one, it was the year of the Tiger, and I was going to name my son-on-the-way Benji. Then it was the year of the Knight, and I convinced my wife that Andrew was a solid name. “First to last” I proclaimed to anyone who’d listen. “Spoon to cup” I had as a bumper sticker, no worries that I stole it off some toothless old lady’s Sigma on my last trip to Newcastle to see my boys play, it was a beautiful sticker. But then round six came around, my beloved Cowboys beat those scum bucket Knights from down south, and my son Jonathan was born. It was a special day.

I had a few other ‘sure things’ to win the premiership, but one thing remained constant; my undying love for the Melbourne storm. They beat the Knights and the Dragons in quick succession, and I couldn’t be silenced about the Storm, “they’ve always been my second team,” I told all my friends and co-workers “and Craig Bellamy, I mean, he’s just a tactical genius”. Then in round 10 they beat the Cowboys, my stubby holder instantly acquired this funny cloud-man holding a lightening bolt on it, and my face was adorned with green and purple. Unfortunately, my wife said that yes, it was too late to change the boy’s name, no matter how sweet I though Cameron, or Cooper might be.

But I’m not only a follower of Rugby League, the World Cup was on this year, and for 3 weeks, I was an expert on Guus Hiddink, Mark Viduka’s form slump, Bresciano’s cornering technique and I always had the late mail on Harry Kewell’s injuries. “I know I said he’d play, but my cousin’s husband’s sister’s uncle is his physio, I’m just going off what he told me!” And AFL, I’m a lover of the game, and its rich heritage. We AFL fans show so much more fortitude, always at the ground, supporting our team. I got my Swans jersey out late this year, but it got banished to the back of the wardrobe following the grand final. Our one year old-Barry was so upset about his Swans.

But I finished strongly, I finished the year wearing the colours of my beloved Broncos, who were lead by their brilliant and inspiring leader, Lockyer, who becomes more brilliant and inspiring with each game he plays. So when the final siren sounded, it felt good to know that my team had won the cup, and I could be seen proudly wearing my jersey, playing air guitar on the pool table singing-that’s myyyyyy team!

And so a successful season ends, and I hear other supporters upset that next season isn’t for another four months or whatever. Who cares I say, because its time for the greatest game of all to begin, its cricket time! Did I mention my wife’s pregnant again? I wonder what she thinks of the name Ricky…

750 words...apparently

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick hits it up for the Pom's looking to replicate the victory against Australia on the weekend

Tri-Nations Farce

_42277012_peacockmason270.jpg

This years Tri-Nations can be described as anything but a success. Poor crowds, judicial inconsistency and the manipulation of eligibility rules have plagued this series and it looks as though it has left an everlasting mark. One may also be forgiven for forgetting that games are actually being played, given the media attention other events have received.

The escalating issue of player violence has lessened the value of the series as a whole. While league fans like a bit of biff, there is a point where enough is enough. However, people can argue that this was to be expected given the fact that a dangerous precedent was set prior to the series commencement.

Prior to the series opener between Australia and New Zealand it was announced that all players’ judiciary history would be reversed, hence giving these players a clean slate. While no one publicly admitted it, this would pave the way for on-field mayhem and that is exactly what ensued.

Despite the player violence and lack of action from referee’s and judicial figures, this has now escalated into a much larger issue. After the first game of the series when there were many heated exchanges between Australian and Kiwi players, it was expected that many players would be cited over incidents, however, this never occurred.

It is certainly clear to all involved that if these incidents had occurred within the boundaries of the NRL, it would have resulted in harsh penalties; however this lenient approach highlights a major flaw in the judicial process and finally gives evidence that there are separate rules for different games as Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has stipulated:

"A dangerous precedent has been set,"

"I just hope they don't react now in the middle of a series and change the rules."

"And I also hope they don't now go citing players for the same offences that have occurred, been reviewed, and deemed legal."

The major controversy has eventuated this week as Stuarts fears came to fruition with a major back flip when the judicial panel cited and suspended Kangaroo Willie Mason for striking. While previous melees have gone uncited and unpunished, Mason’s suspension was a surprise given the previous incidents in the series.

This double standard in the judicial system with regards to International fixtures has long been a farce, even when Nigel Vagana escaped a long suspension for two dangerous tackles last series. The inconsistent judiciary is an embarrassment on our game and must be remedied.

fien_nathan_d.jpg

However the greatest embarrassment of the series came when New Zealand found a loophole in the eligibility rules to allow Nathan Fien, a Queenslander, to play for New Zealand.

There was major media exposure when Fien was first selected on the basis that his grandmother was born in New Zealand. However, in an embarrassment to both New Zealand and International Rugby League, it was revealed that was in fact his great grandmother, sparking “Granny-gate”.

As a result New Zealand was forced to de-register Fien and deducted 2 points in the series. Fien was also kicked out of the series. However it is not the first time eligibility has come under scrutiny. Tonie Carroll was allowed to play for Australia and Queensland, despite previously playing for New Zealand. Other examples include Brad Thorn and Adrian Lam who both played for other countries, yet represented Queensland.

These current shameful eligibility rules allow players to change allegiances as easy as they change clubs in the off-season. It is a humiliation on the game of rugby league and its credibility on the International stage. Eligibility is an area in which we have dramatically fallen behind our rival codes and they are laughing at us.

The double standards of the judiciary and the farcical eligibility rules have taken its toll on the series, and the crowds are staying away. Expectations of the supporters are high and the way this series has been handled has not met those expectations. While the games have been entertaining and we are seeing a competitive series, it is just not as special or significant as it should be.

It is time that the International Rugby League overhauled their eligibility rules. It is also time to instil some consistent judicial systems coinciding with those found in the NRL. Only then will we be able to say our game on the International scale isn’t an embarrassment and maybe then the crowds will start coming back and appreciating this spectacle that is the Tri-Nations Rugby League.

747 Words

References:
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?id=12482
www.sportal.com.au
Daily Telegraph
Sydney Morning Herald
www.abc.net.au
Courier Mail

rabs

Staff member
rabs for GB takes it up with elbow cocked

A RED Letter Day

Our tickets were bought well in advance and thus in a good possie. We headed out to the game with time to spare seeing as showers were on the cards. We made a quick diversion to the shops for some cheap Ponchos (which came in RED packets) as insurance and we arrived early enough to get front row parking for a quick getaway. Parking outside the SCG left us with a considerable walk down to Aussie and my slightly unfit companion went RED in the face rather quickly as I maintained a steady pace towards the curtain raising Under 16’s indigenous game. Hurrah!, we made it right on time and sat down as the boys kicked off. I assured my mate that the brisk walk (and his ensuing near heart attack) would be worth it to see the skills of the talented young men.

10 minutes in and with scores 0-0 and the Maroons looking ok I was able to con Irish born Aussie come Queensland mad Pete into a wager on the game and he couldn’t help but accept. Soon after that the Queensland boys started to run out of puff and New South Wales started to run rings around them (literally and laterally) as they were allowed to run across field against the lazy defence several times to score in the corner and elsewhere. Right on halftime the Maroons fullback put out the RED carpet for a 5th NSW try and they went to the break at 24-0. I put the binoculars on the Queenslanders at the halftime talk and the coaches face resembled my huffing, puffing, RED-faced companion on arrival.

They started the second half and I commented to Pete that the indigenous qualification rule, (in other administrative areas anyway), required a great grandparent to be indigenous. This made it a bit easier to comprehend the RED headed, fair skinned lad in number 7 for Queensland. We were commenting that he wasn’t playing a traditional halfbacks game and sure enough he splits the defence two seconds later to make a huge run a-la any of your great halfbacks. Whatever the coach said at halftime worked and Queensland put on 2 early tries to get back in the match. This not only threatened victory to my beloved NSW but also my pie and sauce at interval coming courtesy of our previous mentioned wager. After that the NSW lads scored again to put the game (and my pie) beyond doubt. The last 15 minutes of that game saw both teams having a real RED hot go in attack and the crowd was treated to some great skills from both sides. The crowd really showed their appreciation by oohing and ahhing and giving generous rounds of applause. I can imagine this occasion would go down in the young players lives as one of their fondest memories.

We head to the food stop where pie, hot dog, chips, sauce and drink are obtained before heading back to our seats. The crowd is introduced to some members of the 63 Kangaroos and Lions and a bunch of kiddies turned up to mini league for us. A rather odd looking bunch of baldies also entertained us with a veterans game of touch and I thought to myself hell I hope I am still able to play the game in my 70’s. I considered taking a quick pit stop before going to our seats but decided to delay as we were heavily laden with food and drink. As we headed into our seats a few of the empty spaces around us were filled up including a rather large girl sitting next to me and she had acquired a third of my seat to accommodate her ample thighs. We exchanged hellos as I sat into my seat and her thigh. I quickly gained ample body warmth from said gals thigh and this had the delightful effect of warming me up enough to quell the urge for the toilets! Pete meanwhile fidgeted with his squeeze in the middle sauce packet and had an accident with the sauce splattering on his rare Wigan jumper a little but mostly onto the empty seat next to him. Not long after that this nice English gentleman turned up for said seat and he didn’t check the seat before sitting down. Needless to say his arse was RED all over as were our faces from laughing so hard as we recounted the story on the way home.

750 words

rabs.gif

Pistol

Coach
gbshirt.jpg

Pistol takes a pass and breaks through the line for GB

You're Not Singing Any More

We all know the chant. It’s quite common at sporting events. Usually sung in jest at the opposition who is under the pump and the opposing fans aren’t cheering as loudly. It’s more commonly used by the British and is seen in the round ball version of football. But it made its way across the oceans, across the codes and landed right next to me at Aussie Stadium for the Great Britain match against the Aussies.

My mate Danny and I had booked our tickets for the game a month before the game was to kick off. He was an out and out Aussie whereas I had a foot in both camps, being born in Northern Ireland, but spending most of my life in Australia. I wore my favourite Wigan jersey to the game whereas Danny wore his old style Aussie jumper.
The day itself was wet and overcast and we needed a couple of ponchos as we weren’t sure if we were under cover or not.

After walking through the throng of supporters, many of them from the Old Dart, we proceeded to the gate and in we went. Moseying along nicely, we made our way to our seats. We watched the warm up game and with anticipation we put a wager to make it interesting. The winner of the game gets a pie and a coke from the loser. Come half time, Danno was sitting pretty as the NSW U16 Koori team was ahead by a length. It prompted me to ask him, “So that’s a meat pie and coke? This fat sheila has sung, the curtains are drawn…”, along with other clichés to that effect.

After the preamble had concluded, we made our way to the concession stand for some food. I don’t normally gamble on sporting events as the way I see it is buying food there is a big enough gamble in itself. I ended getting a bucket of unsalted chips with sauce and a lift. After sitting down I tried to squeeze some sauce onto my chips. I squeezed hard but the sauce was being uncooperative. I turned it to look and with the slightest pressure, it exploded all over the seat next to me and onto my sleeve.

About 5 minutes later, this big burly English bloke comes and sits in the seat. He didn’t even look to see that it was covered with ketchup. And I certainly wasn’t going to be the one to tell him that his backside was covered in sauce.

The experience began to climb to another plateau. Nerves of a different kind set in. Green and gold goose bumps on one side, with Union Jack goose bumps on the other.

It was a hard slog early on in the piece. Each hit-up, each tackle was met with aggression, and delivered with force. Australia had the best of the early exchanges. Danno was cheering, and so was I. Great Britain then started to gain back some ascendency. Danno jeered but I cheered. He looked at me with a perplexed expression, and I must admit that I shared that quizzical look.

As the action on the field intensified, tempers in the crowd began to flare. On the low tier in the eastern stand, a brawl broke out between the supporters of the warring factions. Even though it wasn’t a sell out, this was national pride. This was war, and it was telling.

As the match wore on, the chants grew louder. The Brits were singing, the Aussies were bellowing to nullify the effects of the British contingent. Events on the field became more tense and exhilarating and this transferred to the onlookers. Everyone was sitting on the edge of their seat. Men at the bar were coming back to an area of vantage where they could view the game, slur words, spill and occasionally sip their beer.

The last ten minutes was a blur. Sitting next to Danno was a woman who was halfway on his seat and next to her was a group of Australians and Brits squaring up. A couple of chants and it was go time again. For those ten minutes, there was more action in the stands than there was on the field. Fisticuffs were a flying. And I think some football was played as well.

After a field goal, the full time whistle blew. Finally the game was over. The Aussies weren’t singing anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

744 words including title

As Pistol clears the line he passes to Cheesie, suddenly realising that he's a prop with forty metres to run to reach the try line.

------------------------------------------------------------

Our Footy, Their City II

Almost exactly a year ago in a Forum 7s match I proposed that the Melbourne rugby league experiment was a good one. The reward in a generation’s time would be a significant slice of the famous Melbourne sporting market. I figured that this prize was worth the sacrifices that the traditional rugby league communities would have to bear.

12 months on it is time to reflect upon the progress of one of rugby league’s most significant areas of future growth. No doubt it has been a significant year.

Most important of all has been the success of the Melbourne Storm. Both on and off the footy field it is clearly a well-run club. Medibank Private and Hostplus signed up to share the major sponsorship of the team. The club managed an average attendance of 10,853 per game, beating a couple of more tradition rugby league teams in the process. It’s worth noting that three additional clubs were less than 2,000 fans per game in front of the Storm.

Whilst these arrangements mean that Melbourne is still a long way from financial independence it is decreasingly a burden on the NRL. Along these lines it is important that Melbourne’s average away crowd of 16,504 is higher than the NRL average meaning that Storm games are not burdens on the other clubs when they come to play.

Meanwhile on-field success has seen the club come within 80 minutes of its second premiership. It wasn’t to be, but a team full of young and talented players show that success should be around for some time yet. Then there’s Greg Inglis. Simply the most talented outside back to debut in a long time, Inglis is the kind of player a club can build a team around and a wonderful marketing opportunity.

Furthermore with 900,000 viewers the grand final broadcast into Melbourne was a huge success and yet another piece of evidence of the development of Victorian rugby league.

In spite of all the belly-aching from Sydney-centric rugby league personalities, State of Origin in Melbourne was a huge success with a full house and copious local attention. Most pleasingly the correlation between Origin hype and Storm bums-on-seats was obvious. Two nights later a crowd of 15,479 turned up to see the Storm play Brisbane. Indeed, the post-Origin Melbourne average was a very healthy 13,384.

Then there was the Tri-Nations.. An impressive crowd of 30,732 turned up to watch Australia and New Zealand play in the first game of the tournament in Australia. This was 6,000 more than the attendance in Sydney a fortnight later .It was a really good game and I was glad that I flew down to enjoy it myself. The Melbourne CBD was adorned with flags promoting the game and one could find plenty of Victorians wearing Storm and Kangaroos gear. Present too was the ex-patriot community getting behind rugby league in Melbourne.

Now, the Brisbane crowd in a fortnight’s time will beat Melbourne and plenty of people flew down to Melbourne from Sydney and Brisbane. On the other hand we saw the Telstra Dome’s retractable seats used for the first time in half a decade. A sustainable future for rugby league in Victoria is helped by having access to a stadium with good views and 50,000 seats. On the field during half time we saw local amateur players – Victorians – displaying their talents.

Certain questions remain, the most important being what happens if the Melbourne Storm lose a few games? Likewise, what might happen if News Limited cuts their support of the team? Fortunately neither of these potential threats loom large on the rugby league horizon. Whilst the opportunity presents itself it is imperative that we build the foundation of Victoria rugby league in order to survive such setbacks in the future.

In the journey to win Melbournian hearts and minds this is not the end. In Sir Winston Churchill’s words it is not even the beginning of the end. It is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. We have reached a critical mass where rugby league is not simply an exhibition game played mostly for the benefit of ex-pats. We have the attention of Melbourne and now we must do the truly hard yards; convince them to permanently take an interest in our sport. In 2006 we have been bold and lady fortune has smiled upon us. Now it is time to be patient and hope that lady justice rewards us in good time.

------------------------------------------------------------

*750 words including title according to the official word counter.

References:
Rugby League Tables and Statistics [URL: http://stats.rleague.com/rl/rl_index.html]
The Churchill Centre [URL: http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=388]
Our Fine Footy in Their Fine City [URL: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=1964006&postcount=9]

Azkatro

First Grade
kangaroos_badge04.gif

Azkatro for the mighty Kangaroos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The immortal Brian Bevan

bevo1.jpg

Nathan Hindmarsh is a player who is renowned for his ungainly appearance. Having established himself as a stalwart for Parramatta, New South Wales and eventually Australia, he often leaves pundits wondering how he keeps going like he does. He looks out of shape, overweight and is a perennial sufferer of the dreaded “plumber’s crack”. He’s even been aptly described as having a “sway gut and funny bum”. Yet he almost always seems to be the first defender on the scene when there’s a break, the first player rushing up on a field goal attempt, and the least likely candidate for a replacement.

But as much as he seems unique for the great divide he demonstrates between apparent and actual athleticism, he’s not the first of his kind.

If we look back through the annals of rugby league history, we’ll eventually stumble across the name Brian Bevan. There have been countless superlatives used to describe Bevan’s appearance throughout the years, but very few of them are uplifting. Thin, balding, awkward, flimsy, knobbly-kneed, frail, lurching. These are just some examples, and most of these applied to the man when he was still barely 21 years of age!

Of course anyone in the know will tell you that Bevan was a living, breathing example of why you just can’t judge a book by its cover.

The fact is that Brian Bevan will forever remain arguably the greatest tryscoring winger rugby league will ever see.

If you don’t believe me, let the stats help you decide. I’ll drip feed them to you so you can take a moment to let each one soak in. So let’s start with this little tidbit – in the 1952-53 English season, he scored 72 tries for Warrington.

Not that amazing? It’s only the English competition, I hear you scoff? Admittedly, that’s not the all-time record – another player by the name of Albert Rosenfeld once scored 80 in a season.

Not to worry, let’s try another. Fact: he scored 69 hat-tricks in his career.

Still wondering what makes him so special? Hard to please, you are! Not to worry, there’s more.

Fact: He scored four tries in a match on 22 occasions.

Amazing isn’t it? How about this one – he scored five tries on seven occasions. One in a million players are lucky to do that once! But that’s not all – he actually scored six tries in a game four times, and believe it or not, has twice scored seven tries in a single game.

Can you even imagine watching a thin, spindly bald looking character scoring 7 tries in a top-flight rugby league match?

It’s incredible, but it’s absolutely true. Brian Bevan played 18 seasons in England, amassing 688 appearances. Over that time he scored an incomparable 796 tries, a statistic which is a great example of daylight coming second – there is a gap of 263 between him and second place on the English all-time tryscorers list.

What else is amazing is that Bevan actually began his career at Eastern Suburbs in the lower grades. The onset of the second world war saw him end up in England, where he eventually got a start with Warrington. He was born in Bondi in 1924, but despite his incredible talent, never once played a game for Australia.

Because of this, he is the only player in the history of the game to have a place in both the English and Australian rugby league halls of fame. That accolade alone is a true indication of the unique place in history he holds. There are champions, there are legends, and there are immortals. Brian Bevan, however, is surely the only player who could be considered truly unsurpassable.

One could only imagine what his place in the annals of Australia rugby league might have become if he had remained in Sydney to forge out a career. The great shame is that his name is rarely on the lips of the game’s legends and commentators when all-time great players are spoken of.

Even though he never enjoyed the honour of representing his country, perhaps he should at least be afforded the honour of being considered one of the greatest Australian rugby league players of all time. I’m not sure what the criteria is for becoming one of rugby league’s Immortals, but whatever it is, an exception needs to be made for Brian Bevan.

Because there will never be another player quite like him.

bevo2.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ref Blows Fulltime.

clock_0.gif

NB: Full time is always 9:00pm (Sydney time) according to the forum clock. This pic of the clock is just a neat gimmick.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well done GB, looks like you've run away with this one. Good articles all round a hearty effort from the 4 Roos who caught the bus. Its unfortunate we couldn't make it 7 v 7.