What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Squad vs. Storm named.

Timbo

Staff member
Raiders name squad for first trial

15/02/2011 12:46:11 PM

The Canberra Raiders will take 28 players into their first trial match of the 2011 season this weekend, when they take on the Melbourne Storm in Bega on Saturday night.
The Raiders will be missing some players through injury, with Alan Tongue (Ribs), Blake Ferguson (Finger), Matt Orford (Knee) and Joel Thompson (Ribs) unavailable for the first trial, while Josh Dugan will be rested following his man of the match performance in the All-Stars game last Saturday night.
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs has been named in the squad, but could be an omission based on judiciary proceedings this week.
The 28 man squad is full of new faces that have yet to play at NRL level and Coach David Furner said it’s an opportunity for them to step up and show what they can offer to the team.
“There’s the chance there for some of the younger guys like Sam Williams and Haydon Hodge to step up and play at this level which is exciting for them and the club,” Furner said. “We’ve also got some new faces at the club like Mark Ioane and Nathan Massey who will have an opportunity as well.”
Furner said the despite the loss of some players through injury there was still plenty of experience in the side and said he expected the players to push for positions for round one as well.
“Brett White will have his first game for the club and his experience will be a big bonus and we also have David Shillington and Bronson Harrison playing which will help balance the side,” he said. “With Josh Dugan being rested it’s also an opportunity for David Milne to get some time on the field and the outside backs will also be pushing hard to impress.
The game against the Storm kicks off on Saturday night at the Bega Recreational ground at 7.00pm. Tickets are available through Ticketek on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au
CANBERRA RAIDERS v MELBOURNE STORM
SATURDAY FEBRUARY 19, BEGA RECREATIONAL GROUND, 7.15pm
GLEN BUTTRISS
JARROD CROKER
DANNY GALEA
JARRAD KENNEDY
BRONSON HARRISON
HAYDON HODGE
SHAUN FENSOM
MARK IOANE
TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS (TBC)
DRURY LOW
NATHAN MASSEY
SAM MATAORA
JOSH McCRONE
JOSH MILLER
DAVID MILNE
MARK NICHOLLS
JOE PICKER
MICHAEL PICKER
REECE ROBINSON
DAVID SHILLINGTON
NICK SKINNER
JAMES STUART
TREVOR THURLING
DANE TILSE
DANIEL VIDOT
SAM WILLIAMS
TRAVIS WADDELL
BRETT WHITE

http://www.raiders.com.au/default.a...3496&title=raiders-name-squad-for-first-trial

----------

Strong squad considering who's out.

The result isnt important , it isnt the end of the world if we lose.
Hopefully the guys get a good run and come out injury free.

Like to see how young Sammy goes. He is our future halfback.

So no Ferguson , Orford , Thompson , due to injury

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Disappointing that Orford can't play. Would like to see him have a run around with McCrone before Round 1.

Hopefully he can make the Bulldogs game.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm just amazed at the amount of depth we have when looking at our squad.

Quality back-ups for just about every position like Milne, Robinson and Miller.

Then just more and more young talent coming through with the likes of Williams, Massey, Mataora, Low and Hodge.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

Then just more and more young talent coming through with the likes of Williams, Massey, Mataora, Low and Hodge.

JRH

Juniors

Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing some of these younger guys make a few appearances in 2011. They've done a good job at bringing the juniors through in the past few seasons.

Cryptic

Juniors
Meh the cheaters do love to beat us but it's only a trial...

I still don't even consider the Storm a team... They get double the money all the other clubs do now as well... sad...

aussies1st

Staff member
While they didn't have their best we too didn't have ours so it's no surprise we played like the crap of early last year since it's basically those same players.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Meh the cheaters do love to beat us but it's only a trial...

I still don't even consider the Storm a team... They get double the money all the other clubs do now as well... sad...

Champ I think we gotta let off on the cheaters label, the storm have faced enough.. Three premierships taken away, losing inglis and other players. Im certain other teams have won premierships whilst being over the cap lol...

Besides it's a new year and a new season. Everyone is back to square one.

Cryptic

Juniors
They get THREE TIMES the money the other clubs do from the NRL... And will under the new system as well (part of News Ltd. conditions of giving up control)... Plus all the players there are geniused or something "na I totally didn't realise I was getting paid twice, I just thought there were weekly banking errors in my favour, you know, like that Monopoly chance card, happens all the time don't it?"

Cheats with dirty tactics as well, can't wait to see them go....