What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Cowboys

Tiger05

First Grade
I watched this streaming and I went away thinking we have a better chance this season that I thought.

I'll break it down into strengths, concerns and random crap.

Strengths
  1. Our prop rotation - Grant, Woods, Ava, Aloiai are honestly really really good. We don't lose much when Woods comes off. Ava and Aloiai run hard and have great leg drive.
  2. Elijah Taylor - this guy has a lot of skill and a high work rate. I think he needs a rest and have him replaced by one of the props up the middle because I thought last season he was ineffective at times.
  3. Our back three. I'm assuming that Taylor isn't blind and picks the right players. Suli looks freaken awesome. Nofo is a weapon. Tedesco is our best player.
Concerns
  1. Idris - he looks big and strong but also slow and needing a lot of work. He was cut apart defending at one point. Assuming we've lost Simona for some time the left side with Idris playing there may have some defensive issues.
  2. Sue - he looks good at times but somehow not there yet. I'm concerned about his lateral movement defending out wide.
Random stuff
  1. Naiqama looked fine on the same side of the field he typically plays. Defensively he looked better than Idris. Moses wasn't playing though and I wonder if that meant he could defend better.
  2. The replacement halves especially Littlejohn were pretty good.
  3. McIlwrick did the job at hooker. Jeremy Marshall-King also did the job when he came on there. I think that these are basically our 3rd and 4th choices at hooker and the other two choices should go better.
There are heaps of unknowns now. How good will Brooks and Moses go. Will Idris get back to being a weapon. Will Taylor play Suli from game one onwards. I think he has to. The difference between Suli and Rankin is huge. Will Sue be able to become a solid right edge backrower.

We really handled what appeared to be a full strength Cowboys side well. Admittedly it looked like Coote was playing for us because he was so bad. We were also missing basically 3 of our spine.

Clifferd

Coach
I thought we were the much more dominant team and had that been a regular nrl season game I would be filthy we lost that match however it wasn't and I'm pretty confident going into the nrl season based off that. We also took virtually everyone off with about 25 mins to go while the Cows had the majority of their squad on for the full 80.

First of all, Suli is a f**king gunnnn. Please blood him in round 1, he's so quick and strong. If he can handle Thurston and co throwing attacking raids at him he can handle the nrl.

Idris is good but still needs time. I'd name him in round 1 as I don't think he's the biggest liability.

Mckillwrick is a solid dummy half option and I think our hooker problems are no more. I reckon he'll start round 1 with Ballin or Liddle off the bench

Aloiai looks like he's gone to another level this year, has a massive motor and doesn't stop pumping those legs. I reckon he'll be insanely good this year

E.T is just E.T...doesn't stop tackling and his ball skills virtually creates another platform for our halves

Teddy looks the goods as usual. Every time he touched the ball last night something looked like it was gonna happen

Chee Kam should be in the 17 somewhere, very safe in defense

My round 1 team based off trial performances

1. James Tedesco
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Jamal Idris
4. Michael Chee Kam
5. Moses Suli
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods (c)
9. Matt Mcillwrick
10. Ava Seumanifangu
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Sauso Sue
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Liddle/Ballin/Littlejohn
15. Tim Grant
16. Josh Aloiai
17. JJ Felise

I can't find a spot for Kevvy in the side unless it's for Suli due to being too raw for the NRL.

His trial form hasn't shown anything to me that screams he should be selected

Vic Mackey

Referee
Didn't see the game so appreciate the indepth analysis. Trials are always hard to judge but considering the cows played their main team for the whole 80 and we were missing both our halves it's a promising result. Even better no apparent injuries.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I thought we were the much more dominant team and had that been a regular nrl season game I would be filthy we lost that match however it wasn't and I'm pretty confident going into the nrl season based off that. We also took virtually everyone off with about 25 mins to go while the Cows had the majority of their squad on for the full 80.

First of all, Suli is a f**king gunnnn. Please blood him in round 1, he's so quick and strong. If he can handle Thurston and co throwing attacking raids at him he can handle the nrl.

Idris is good but still needs time. I'd name him in round 1 as I don't think he's the biggest liability.

Mckillwrick is a solid dummy half option and I think our hooker problems are no more. I reckon he'll start round 1 with Ballin or Liddle off the bench

Aloiai looks like he's gone to another level this year, has a massive motor and doesn't stop pumping those legs. I reckon he'll be insanely good this year

E.T is just E.T...doesn't stop tackling and his ball skills virtually creates another platform for our halves

Teddy looks the goods as usual. Every time he touched the ball last night something looked like it was gonna happen

Chee Kam should be in the 17 somewhere, very safe in defense

My round 1 team based off trial performances

1. James Tedesco
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Jamal Idris
4. Michael Chee Kam
5. Moses Suli
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods (c)
9. Matt Mcillwrick
10. Ava Seumanifangu
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Sauso Sue
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Liddle/Ballin/Littlejohn
15. Tim Grant
16. Josh Aloiai
17. JJ Felise

I can't find a spot for Kevvy in the side unless it's for Suli due to being too raw for the NRL.

His trial form hasn't shown anything to me that screams he should be selected
Clifford I like that 3/4 line I've picked as I've been concerned about our left side since hearing re the debacle involving Simona.

Chee Kam is definitely a better option than the appalling defender Naquaima & im sure he'd b a good mentor for Suli to play alongside.

As long as Rankin or Milone never play NRL for us then there can b hope to attain some success in '17 !

Tiger05

First Grade
I forgot about Felise. Clifford that team you picked there is probably as good as we are going to get. I honestly think that team will roll over teams in the forwards over the course of the game. They may get beat at times during a game because they have no real dynamic player or big hitter but our front row stocks are great.

I didn't mention Chee Kam but he was really good as well.

I still think the issues are Idris and Sue defensively. They could both be weapons but they came across as having some problems with lateral movement out there.

Our backline though can fire and if the forwards do their jobs we could have a good season. I know it was only a trial but we looked good against the Cowboys who have a gun team.

I like your team Clifferd.

Interesting that Tedesco was kicking off and at goal, hopefully that is an indication that Rankin will be playing State Cup, with Tedesco and Moses sharing the kicking role.

Shredder

Juniors
Taylor has said in the press that Idris will play round one and that he is going to blood Suli slowly. Given he isnt sharp enough to play games, I would take this as gospel.

Same backs as last year, Idris in for Simona and you ALL know that Rankin will be there......

I watched the live stream to and I was most impressed with the hussel in both attack and defence - On the occassion we scrambled that defence looked OK to.

Was nice to see Teddy take a shot at goal and actually get it to.

It was just a trial, but the boys actually looked like they wanted to be there for a change.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Taylor has said in the press that Idris will play round one and that he is going to blood Suli slowly. Given he isnt sharp enough to play games, I would take this as gospel.

Same backs as last year, Idris in for Simona and you ALL know that Rankin will be there......

I watched the live stream to and I was most impressed with the hussel in both attack and defence - On the occassion we scrambled that defence looked OK to.

It was just a trial, but the boys actually looked like they wanted to be there for a change.

Yeah I heard JT say Idris will play round 1. I think they trials have shown Suli has the lead for left wing. There's been nothing in the trials to indicate Kev won't keep his right center spot.

just a feeling but I don't think Ballin will there for round 1. I expect the bench will be Ava/Grant, Aloiai, MCK and Liddle/LittleJohn

simmo05

Bench

Yeah contract renewal time

Perth Tiger

Bench
Did anyone notice which side Idris played on? Do we think he will play on Moses side or will he be a direct replacement for Simona on the left

Tiger05

First Grade
Did anyone notice which side Idris played on? Do we think he will play on Moses side or will he be a direct replacement for Simona on the left

He was on the left and I expect he will stay there.

I think we will see the following backline:-

1. Teddy
2. Nofo
3. Naiqama
4. Idris
5. Rankin
6. Moses
7. Brooks

Brooks might miss out if he has a hamstring problem.

Personally I would swap Ranking with Suli at a bare minimum. I think it's crazy to pick Rankin. You could also drop Naiqama and play Chee Kam although I think Naiqama offers a lot and he will get his defence right if the players around him do the job.

I think running with that team though gives us defensive problems on the edges on both sides. Idris looks like he will get beat for speed/agility if he plays in the centres.

Tiger Ted

Bench
He was on the left and I expect he will stay there.

I think we will see the following backline:-

1. Teddy
2. Nofo
3. Naiqama
4. Idris
5. Rankin
6. Moses
7. Brooks

Brooks might miss out if he has a hamstring problem.

Personally I would swap Ranking with Suli at a bare minimum. I think it's crazy to pick Rankin. You could also drop Naiqama and play Chee Kam although I think Naiqama offers a lot and he will get his defence right if the players around him do the job.

I think running with that team though gives us defensive problems on the edges on both sides. Idris looks like he will get beat for speed/agility if he plays in the centres.
Naiqama is incapable of getting his defence right.He has been a turnstile @ all the clubs he has played for.We can NOT carry piss weak defenders like Rankin & naiqama any longer.

Until this club sorts out our inherently shithouse defensive issues we can forget about playing finals footy.

There r now many very powerful opposition rosters who will b licking there lips @ attacking us out wide when the likes of Rankin Milone & Kev r in the team.It hurts me to say that more of the annihilations we were subjected to v Canberra last yr r inevitable this season !

Clifferd

Coach
For a club that is so statiscally bad and soft in defense I agree with tiger ted. We can ill afford to carry weak links such as Rankin and Naiqama anymore. Our attack is fine enough as it is, defense should be our main priority

Shredder

Juniors
But this is the problem.

Defence if not down to one guy in the line - its a system. Most clubs make their lower grades play the same system that 1st grade does so that if they get called up - the player knows his job.

I remember in the old days it was only either sliding or up and in - and I think it was the Dogs who went up and in in their own 20 and sliding in the rest of the park.

It cant be that difficult - "in our system player x does this" and all players in his position in all grades do the same thing...... Am I over simplifying this? Why is it that when the top clubs call up a junior they just seem to fit straight into their systems, but our boys almost always look like a fish out of water?

Then you have the Head Coach / Defensive Coach tension. Presumably the Head coach defines the system and the Defensive coach trains it - so ultimately whos fault is it when it fails?

For all we know the player is doing as he is drilled - or, they are not. Our team just never looks well coached in this department. All of our players have been playing League for what, 15 - 20 years through the junior ranks. If they couldn't tackle they wouldn't have got graded in the first place.

bjm8

Juniors
Why is it that when the top clubs call up a junior they just seem to fit straight into their systems, but our boys almost always look like a fish out of water?.

Probably because average second rowers like Lovett somehow end up in the centres.

Vic Mackey

Referee
But this is the problem.

Defence if not down to one guy in the line - its a system. Most clubs make their lower grades play the same system that 1st grade does so that if they get called up - the player knows his job.

I remember in the old days it was only either sliding or up and in - and I think it was the Dogs who went up and in in their own 20 and sliding in the rest of the park.

It cant be that difficult - "in our system player x does this" and all players in his position in all grades do the same thing...... Am I over simplifying this? Why is it that when the top clubs call up a junior they just seem to fit straight into their systems, but our boys almost always look like a fish out of water?

Then you have the Head Coach / Defensive Coach tension. Presumably the Head coach defines the system and the Defensive coach trains it - so ultimately whos fault is it when it fails?

For all we know the player is doing as he is drilled - or, they are not. Our team just never looks well coached in this department. All of our players have been playing League for what, 15 - 20 years through the junior ranks. If they couldn't tackle they wouldn't have got graded in the first place.

good post. i remember listenng to gordan tallis last year and he said defence is entirely about attitude. he made the good point that anyone playing first grade can tackle, quiet simply if the bloke can't tackle he wouldnt have got near a first grade squad. he also said chances are theyve played all the defensive structure throughout their careers at some stage i.e sliding, up and in etc. purely it comes down to the attitude that you have to your defence. we can say its all about systems, and im sure that has something to do with it. but i think the reason you see guys like ryan morgan/chayse blair go from turnstyles at parra/manly etc to rock solid defenders at the storm is the attitude that gets implimented in them at that club. if you dont put everything into your defence youll be in qld cup. watch the difference in JACs game this year.

Tiger Ted

Bench
good post. i remember listenng to gordan tallis last year and he said defence is entirely about attitude. he made the good point that anyone playing first grade can tackle, quiet simply if the bloke can't tackle he wouldnt have got near a first grade squad. he also said chances are theyve played all the defensive structure throughout their careers at some stage i.e sliding, up and in etc. purely it comes down to the attitude that you have to your defence. we can say its all about systems, and im sure that has something to do with it. but i think the reason you see guys like ryan morgan/chayse blair go from turnstyles at parra/manly etc to rock solid defenders at the storm is the attitude that gets implimented in them at that club. if you dont put everything into your defence youll be in qld cup. watch the difference in JACs game this year.
It's our damn soft culture emanating from the mollycoddling days of the Sheenius.Its got to change but I can't c it happening under this paranoid juvenile of a coach we r currently stuck with !