What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuqiri stays with Yawnion for $1.6m

gaterooze

Bench
Tighthead said:
I doubt that rugby union will ever be particularly strong at a domestic level in this country - certainly not in terms of a competitve week in, week out 20+ week competition like the NRL. This is because of the strength of the international game - when you play 10+ tests a year, those players will by necessity miss out on club games.

What a load of rubbish. NRL players are facing 9+ rep games this year (ANZAC Test, City/Country, 3xSOO, Tri-Nations (4 games) + a few tour matches on top of that) along with 24 club games AND up to 4 finals games.

You make some fair comments, Tighthead, but I'm sick of this excuse that Union trots out for having a pathetic domestic comp. A busy rep season is not mutually exclusive, as League has clearly proven.

Moffo

Referee
3 Origin Games

1 City/Country

At least 3-4 tests a year

That is eight at a minimum

How many rep games do union have? I dont rate S12 as a rep as it is a competition that spans 3 months

Cheers,
Moffo

Tighthead

I'll discount 2003, as that was a world cup year.

In 2002 the Wallabies played the following test matches:

v NZ Maori - Perth
v France - Melbourne
v France - Sydney
v NZ - Christchurch
v SAF - Brisbane
v NZ - Sydney
v SAF - Bloemfontein
v ARG - Buenos Aires
v IRE - Dublin
v ENG - London
v ITA - Genoa

That's 11 test matches.

The Provinces also have their own series - The reds usually play Fiji/Samoa/Tonga in a tournament.

So that's about 13-14.

Kiwi

First Grade
Tighthead said:
I'll discount 2003, as that was a world cup year.

In 2002 the Wallabies played the following test matches:

v NZ Maori - Perth
v France - Melbourne
v France - Sydney
v NZ - Christchurch
v SAF - Brisbane
v NZ - Sydney
v SAF - Bloemfontein
v ARG - Buenos Aires
v IRE - Dublin
v ENG - London
v ITA - Genoa

That's 11 test matches.

The Provinces also have their own series - The reds usually play Fiji/Samoa/Tonga in a tournament.

So that's about 13-14.

so thats only 5 or 6 more games in the rep scene than league, so whats the excuse for no domestic comp no more than 20 people want to see?

Tighthead

As I said - the players are paid by the ARU/S12 franchises, not their clubs. That's why they don't play 2 days after a test match as they to in rugby league. If the ARL didn't allow test/rep players to back up for club matches, guess how many players would be playing rep football.
Also, try introducing those extra 5-6 rep matches into a season and see how the clubs scream.

Different set up in each code that is biased towards, in one case a strong rep season, and in the other a strong domestic competiton.

NZ and SAF have strong domestic comps, however they also have larger playing bases than Aus, as they don't have the competition of both AFL and RL. You'll also notice there are calls to increase the profile of each domestic comp at the expense of rep football. It is a balancing act.

I think that the RL has taken the right step with the tri-nations, it will be interesting to see if it succeeds as a yearly event, as I suspect there are plenty of players who won't want to play those extra games at the end of a long season. The ARU and the various state unions need to get their fingers out and develop than middle level domestic comp.

Kiwi

First Grade
Tighthead said:
As I said - the players are paid by the ARU/S12 franchises, not their clubs. That's why they don't play 2 days after a test match as they to in rugby league. If the ARL didn't allow test/rep players to back up for club matches, guess how many players would be playing rep football.
Also, try introducing those extra 5-6 rep matches into a season and see how the clubs scream.

Different set up in each code that is biased towards, in one case a strong rep season, and in the other a strong domestic competiton.

NZ and SAF have strong domestic comps, however they also have larger playing bases than Aus, as they don't have the competition of both AFL and RL. You'll also notice there are calls to increase the profile of each domestic comp at the expense of rep football. It is a balancing act.

I think that the RL has taken the right step with the tri-nations, it will be interesting to see if it succeeds as a yearly event, as I suspect there are plenty of players who won't want to play those extra games at the end of a long season. The ARU and the various state unions need to get their fingers out and develop than middle level domestic comp.

So because the Wallabies would hardly play in the domestic comp why have one? What 30 players at best not playing, so why bother with it? Seems very very stupid. Hell even the QRL and NSWRL get more fans to their games by a long way. Seems stupid to abandon a domestic series because a few players won't play every now and again.

The ARU made alot of money off the world cup, and instead of using that money in the right places, they look like just spending it on the Wallabies. $1.6 million est for a winger? What sort of money are the play makers gonna be one or offered? ARU's money is gonna dry up, they can't afford over enflated salaries for too long. Cause once the money dries up, they'll still be left with a crap domestic comp and no money to buy players from other codes.

Tighthead

Have you read my posts?

I have said numerous that rugby union needs a national domestic comp here, and I agree that the ARU etc. need to pull their fingers out. What I have said, however, is that any domestic comp we do have will never be as strong as the NRL because of the strength/amount of international competition.

Moffo

Referee
Don't these dickheads learn???

Another 'article' on foxsports today.....Yet again, no quotes from anyone with credibility and for me, i think it highlights how desperate the ARU have become. They know that it'll be a disaster if he goes, so they are trying to pressure him through the media

Terry Smith has no credibility to begin with, so it does not surprise. He is 50/50, they are trying to spin it like the only decision he has is which 'province' he is going to play for....blah blah blah, liars

Lote's options down to three
By Bret Harris and Wayne Smith
June 5, 2004

WALLABIES winger Lote Tuqiri will announce next Friday he is remaining in rugby union when an extended deadline on a decision on his playing future expires.

After confirming his commitment to rugby union until the 2007 World Cup in France, Tuqiri will then decide for which Australian province he will play in the Super 12 series.

And that decision could be swayed by what position Tuqiri wants to play, not only at Super 12 level, but in Test football, too.

When Tuqiri switched from rugby league to rugby union two years ago, Wallabies coach Eddie Jones believed he had the potential to play outside centre but subsequently has changed his mind after outside centre evolved into a crash ball position at Test level, not the place to use a player as athletic and skilful as Tuqiri.

"Lote's a fantastic Test winger and I'm reasonably certain he could become a fantastic Test fullback, but I don't think there's much possibility of him playing outside centre at Test level," Jones said.

It is understood Tuqiri will choose between the ACT Brumbies and NSW Waratahs, where he has spent the first two years of his rugby career. The Brumbies have offered Tuqiri the fullback position vacated by Joe Roff.

During recent negotiations the Brumbies presented Tuqiri with an ACT No.15 jersey with his name on it. There is also the attraction of playing behind a Wallabies-laden backline, including George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Matt Giteau and Stirling Mortlock.

If Tuqiri remained at the Waratahs, he would have to stay on the wing unless NSW moved Wallabies fullback Mat Rogers to five-eighth.

NSW's lack of an established playmaker at No.10 may also influence Tuqiri to leave the Waratahs.

In NSW's favour is the fact Tuqiri enjoys living in Sydney and has the potential to increase his income from off-field promotions and endorsements in Australia's biggest city.

The Brumbies would have to convince Tuqiri he could enjoy the same benefits living in Canberra for six months of the year.

Queensland have offered Tuqiri their outside centre position, with coach Jeff Miller claiming yesterday he would structure their attack in such a way that it would not involve crash ball play, much as they did this season with newly appointed Australian under-21 captain Drew Mitchell.

"Things would change after next season when both (fullback) Chris Latham and (winger) Wendell Sailor come off contract, but we believe Lote can be a very good outside centre," Miller said.

The extra week granted to Tuqiri by the ARU leaves the Reds' negotiations with Brumbies outside centre Joel Wilson in limbo.

Wilson would only make the move north if guaranteed a Super 12 starting position, something the Reds could not offer him if they sign Tuqiri.

The Reds, meanwhile, have given their Australian under-21 halfback Josh Valentine until 5pm Monday to re-commit to Queensland or they will cut him from their list.

Miller is angry that Valentine's services were offered to the Waratahs after a verbal agreement allegedly had been reached for him to stay with the Reds, a version of events disputed by the player's manager, Anthony Picone.

ruggabugga

Juniors
So Moffo, Apart from media gossip, what did you have to offer as worthy of debate? :?: :?: :?: :?: I just remembered, you are a mungo dummy. :D :D :D :D #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

Moffo

Referee
And so it continues....another article saying he is staying, but still no quotes. I'm not saying for a second that he won't, but the media are building a story based on innuendos and rumours. Quality journalism indeed

Tuqiri elects to stay
By Michael Westlake
June 6, 2004

LOTE TUQIRI is staying with the Australian Rugby Union.

The former Broncos winger, who had been linked with a return to rugby league when his Australian Rugby Union deal expires at the end of this season, has made up his mind to stay with the Wallabies until after the 2007 World Cup.

Tuqiri was given until last Friday to agree to a new deal, but the ARU agreed to give him a week's extension while he continued to debate where his future lay.

However, sources close to Tuqiri last night said his representatives have told ARU officials that he has made up his mind to stay with union, and all other offers for his services had been withdrawn.

The 24-year-old now only needs to settle on a financial package and his choice of Super 12 franchise before he signs a new contract by the end of the week.

Tuqiri's decision comes after fellow league convert, former Cronulla and Queensland winger Mat Rogers, agreed last month to stick with his new code and the New South Wales Waratahs.

Rugby league officials had been keen on enticing the duo to make a return to the 13-man code, but the money on offer from the ARU was always going to be a major hurdle with NRL clubs dictated to by a $3.25 million salary cap.

The Broncos, Sydney Roosters and new Gold Coast team – which is yet to be granted a licence for 2006 – were believed to be the leading contenders for Tuqiri's signature.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club had not put in an offer for Tuqiri, but the winger had spoken to Cullen and Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett about the possibility of returning to league with the Broncos.

With Tuqiri's value to the Wallabies rising enormously after his stellar World Cup last year, it was always unlikely that any NRL club could compete in a bidding war for the big Fijian's signature.

NRL chief executive David Gallop refused from the outset to entertain the thought of providing salary cap concessions for any club chasing Tuqiri's signature

'credit': www.foxsports.com.au

Latest posts