What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner turns on Titans, Re-Signs with Storm

BrisVegas

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20144057-14823,00.html

Steve turns on Titans

Karl deKroo
August 16, 2006 12:00am

IN-FORM Storm winger Steve Turner performed a stunning about-face last night, turning his back on the Gold Coast Titans to remain with Melbourne for the next three years.

Turner, 21, was unveiled in June as a key signing for the new Titans franchise which enters the NRL in 2007. Incredibly, the former junior Kangaroos representative was never asked to sign a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast and he has had a change of heart. "Steve came to us a few weeks ago and told us that he desperately wanted to stay," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said last night.

"We subsequently found out he hadn't signed any agreement and as a consequence of that we offered him a new three-year deal which was accepted today. "We have spoken to the NRL about it and given no contract had been registered, there shouldn't be a problem." The decision is set to spark outrage on the Gold Coast, but Turner said he was hopeful the Titans would understand his position.

"Over the past few weeks I have got itchy feet and I realised I didn't want to go," Turner said. "I have spoken it over with my girlfriend, Kate, and she didn't want to go either. "I had a chat to them (the Titans) yesterday and told them my reasons. "From there I've left it with my manager. I know they won't be happy, but I just hope they can understand my decision. I really wish them all the best for 2007."

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle could not be contacted last night.
Waldron said he could understand the Titans' position, but said they had only themselves to blame. "If he had signed a contract, then it wouldn't be an option," Waldron said. "But the kid came to us and we see that as a great endorsement of what we are trying to build at this club. "We were in a similar position when we thought we had signed (Parramatta prop) Fuifui Moimoi a year ago. "We thought he was coming here but there was a problem with his manager. It became clear he wanted to stay with Parramatta and we decided it was fair and reasonable."

A Penrith junior, Turner was signed by Storm in 2003 as a replacement for foundation fullback Robbie Ross. He battled injury in his first two seasons and Billy Slater and Greg Inglis surpassed him in the fullbacks' pecking order. Used this season as a winger, Turner has proven a sensation, starting all 21 games and scoring 13 tries.

"I feel like I am playing the best footy of my career," Turner said. "I have probably adapted to the wing better than most people expected. "I am really enjoying playing out there and I realise that playing fullback isn't my priority any more."The Titans have signed Storm hooker Nathan Friend and centre Jake Webster for next season. Turner had been expected to be their first-choice fullback ahead of British rep player Richie Mathers.

Redback71

First Grade
mongrel sook suppose he like wing better than fullback cause hell never play fullback at the storm

Willow

Assistant Moderator
NRL refuses to register Turner contract

Written by: League news

21/08/2006

The National Rugby League has refused to register a three-year contract between Melbourne winger Steve Turner and his club. It means the 21-year-old Turner will be playing for the Gold Coast Titans next year unless he decides to sit out the next three seasons.

Gold Coast boss Michael Searle says the NRL's decision vindicates the Titans' hardline position on Turner, who agreed to join the fledgling club in June before having a change of heart and re-signing with the Storm.
www.leagueunlimited.com

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=11850