What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Rights - anyone read this?

bartman

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/20/1092972743273.html
http://www.smh.com.au/ said:
Seven seeks chance to bid for NRL rights
By Steve Mascord
August 21, 2004

Channel Seven has called on the NRL to put its television rights to open tender rather than quietly extending and upgrading its contracts with Channel Nine and Fox Sports.

TV rights have become an issue this week in light of the NRL partnership committee's decision on Monday not to expand the competition, as well as growing angst among NSW clubs about a coming increase in poker machine tax.

Fox Sports' deal with the league expires at the end of 2006 and Nine's rights agreement is up in 2007, with Kerry Packer's network having first right of refusal.

But there is increasing speculation that the NRL will not allow either agreement to lapse, preferring to upgrade and extend each within the next 12 months - meaning rival networks won't get the chance to bid.

"The Seven Network would be keen to participate in an open tender process for both the free-to-air and subscription rights for the National Rugby League," Seven's director of corporate development, Simon Francis, said last night. "Such a process would be in the best interests of the NRL and its clubs."

Clubs believe the free-to-air rights are grossly undervalued, with the AFL rights believed to be worth $40 million compared with the NRL's widely quoted figure of $13m.

The Herald also contacted the Nine and Ten networks over the issue. Nine had no comment on its intentions while a Ten sports spokesman said: "It isn't an issue for us. We are quite happy with our current schedule of sport."

NRL chief executive David Gallop responded to Francis's comments by saying all options would be explored.

"We are fully expecting that rugby league will be much sought after as content and we intend to explore all offers we might receive," he said.

Fox Sports has first refusal on rights until 2022, while Nine has a similar privilege for 10 years. Gallop said Nine had not approached him about extending.

So we have Channel 7 willing to bid if the NRL holds an open tender on TV rights - instead of making agreements to extend existing contracts. The game needs more money from these rights, and we need better (free-to-air) coverage. Having someone else bid is the only way the income can go up. People make some noise!!

DJ1

Juniors
It's the FTA rights where the increase needs to come from. The PTV rights should remain the same dollars but with full historical catalogue.

I would be upset if the NRL gets screwed on these.

eagle_eye

Juniors
I hope 7 bids for it to put the price up, but channel nine regains cause I dont know what we'd do without Ray Warren

DJ1

Juniors
I'd love to see 7 get the FTA just to get rid of the Footy Show and Gould.

lotm

Juniors
I got Foxtel so I aint bothered, I can watch it on free to air or Pay-Tv
well, you should be bothered. an increase in tv rights is essential to the well-being of the code.

I'd love to see 7 get the FTA just to get rid of the Footy Show and Gould.
:lol:

you really think that'll get rid of them?

:lol:

LESStar58

Referee
I'd be in favour of Channel 7 on 2 conditions:

1. Bruce McAvaney stays right the fu<k away from having ANYTHING to do with the broadcasting. Everbody knows he can't call to save his life but the yawnion lets him be the MC (so to speak) but I'd want him far away from it as possible.

2. Games on at a reasonable hour in Melbourne on Fridays and Sundays (keep the old 8:30pm and 4pm timeslot respectively) with live Origin and Internationals and other rep fixtures.

Only problem is that the Melbourne execs @ 7 would worry about losing the ratings to 9 coz they have AFL on fridays but if the rights were to go to 7 then Gallop needs to stipulate that Melbourne audiences have to benefit from Channel 7 getting the FTA. If he wants Storm to stay, he needs to look at marketing RL period and he can start by giving them more games. Think, if its on at a reasonable hour then ppl who wouldn't normally watch RL might tune in and find that its an enjoyable game (which we all know it is). Look at the people who have jumped on the union bandwagon in Melbs. The fact that 7 have the union as well might interfere, although the majority of union tests are played/broadcasted on Saturdays and when the Wallabies play OS like in SA and the UK its on later at nite or early in the morning (NZ doesnt count, we get it live coz they are only across the ditch).

I would have thought that, at best, Ray Warren would go to whatever network got the rights. Wether or not Johns, Vautin and Sterling goes remains to be seen but I'm sure there is more than ample support at Channel 7 like Roy Masters and Matthew White (who moved from 10). Even Joanna Griggs...she is a Manly supporter and having a female compare or involving her in some capacity can't really hurt! What was the name of that woman who was on 10 back in the 80's? Think her name was Robyn something... :?:

DJ1

Juniors
Most of the crew are only there as rewards from Packer for their efforts in the SL war.

Vautin and Sterlo would have gone when ratings began to fall.
The Chief drove the bus of Newcastle players down to sign ARL contracts
Gould was a vocal opponent for the ARL cause.

LESStar58

Referee
On my earlier comments...I didn't mean Storm games ONLY into Melbs. If the best in the game...in fact...ALL NRL teams we're broadcasted into melbs then the ignorant Victorians of this world would get to know the superstars of the game, not just the Storm players!

dimitri

First Grade
in the herald there were 2 articles telling news ltd and the nrl off for not expanding and not putting the tv rights up for open bidding

yet in the telegraph there was nothing :roll: :roll: :roll:

surprise surprise

news ltd :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GoTheBears said:
at least 3 games a week for the next tv deal

Yes.
And the same coverage in all state capitals.

If Seven get both the Paytv and FTA then we the viewers will win as well. That would mean they wouldn't care about showing more FTA games or showing games on Pay and FTA at the same time because both stations would be theirs. Something similar to how the AFL was on Channel 7 all the time as well as C7 sport.

DJ1

Juniors
It would actually be better if one had the NRL and the other the AFL.

That way Melbourne would get a run.

The downside, primetime AFL in Sydney and Brisbane.

DJ1 said:
It would actually be better if one had the NRL and the other the AFL.

That way Melbourne would get a run.

The downside, primetime AFL in Sydney and Brisbane.

Yes, very true. But I think with a level playing field, we would come up trumps!

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'd wager we'll get stuck with 9 with no changes except they'll pay slightly more for the rights.

I hope I'm wrong and the NRL see what 7 have to offer which would be surely better than the crap job 9 do.