What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

El Diablo

Post Whore
yup

we would have had more live games on FTA and pay if it hadn't been for Williams

we'd still be stuck with first and last rights though so in the long run it will work out for the best

people will realise that one day

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Agreed, long term it's better but having more live FTA and HD games would have been great.

I bet the merkin will end up at Nine as part of a thankyou for f**king over Ten.

Starkers

Bench
would first and lat rights not have evaporated if ten outbid nine? or would F&L simply be written into the new agreement meaning it would continue for the holder? or would 9 perhaps just have to match each bid until they expired?

as i recall, the bid had to exceed by a certain amount (10% i think) for them to be null and void? could be wrong, hazy memory.

El Diablo

Post Whore
9 would have had them regardless for next time even if Ten had got the rights

Fox would have had them until 2027

Starkers

Bench
ok thanks.

i guess the argument becomes, if 10 takes the rights then does 9 collapse? seemed a chance. and would that then negate the F&L that they held? i agree ridding the game of F&L was worth it though.

El Diablo

Post Whore
9 would have been OK

7 and 10 went bust before and survived

that's why 9 had to pay a fair bit up front just in case they did go arse up

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It hurts so f*cking much to read this and think what could have been.

But cool heads and all, getting rid of the F&L rights is a brilliant move by the Commish, definitely worth it in the long run.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We're struggling to increase crowds, would more live games on TV really have helped the game? From a selfish point of view I'd love every game live and ad free but from encouraging people to get off their backsides and support their club it's probably best TV coverage remains poor.

gUt

Coach
f**k crowds. Build smaller stadiums purpose built to produce quality TV (eg those Lingerie Football League stadiums) and move the game into its future as a TV/Internet product.

nrlnrl

First Grade
f**k crowds. Build smaller stadiums purpose built to produce quality TV (eg those Lingerie Football League stadiums) and move the game into its future as a TV/Internet product.

yep, no team should have ANZ Stadium as it's home ground - ridiculous & even 20, 000 there looks like about 4,000

Apparently the financial reward is $100,000 for the clubs, but there are plenty of fans who refuse to go to the ground for club games. It's fine for finals & Origin, but unless Parramatta are going well they are much better playing at Parramatta Stadium. Have a look at the atmosphere at Western Sydney Wanderers games when it's packed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...hief-after-ten-missed-out-20130815-2rzlp.html

News moved on chief after Ten missed out

Date
August 16, 2013

Brad Walter
Chief Rugby League Writer

Kim Williams' demise as News Ltd chief executive has underlined the significance of the broadcast-rights deal negotiated by the ARL Commission last year. While attention focused on the $1 billion the ARLC secured from Nine and Fox Sports, the most important element of the five-year deal was News Ltd's decision to surrender the first and last rights in broadcast deals until 2017 on all platforms - free-to-air, pay TV, online and technology that hasn't even been invented yet.

As reported in last Saturday's Herald, the move was the beginning of the end for Williams as influential figures at News Ltd believed the Murdoch empire could still maintain a hold over the NRL even after handing control of the game to the ARLC. Former News bosses had even negotiated a five-year extension of the first and last rights deal from 2022 to 2027 as a key condition of the media company's withdrawal from running the game. The fallout at News Ltd also highlighted how determined Ten was to win the NRL's free-to-air broadcast rights as Williams had to make such a big concession to ensure the joint Nine-Fox Sports offer was accepted by the ARLC.

Ten's chairman is Lachlan Murdoch and he believed Williams would side with his network over Nine. ''Lachlan saw the NRL rights as part of his grand vision for rebuilding Ten,'' a senior News executive said. ''He also felt he had the deal stitched up, through his News Ltd connections.'' By convincing Williams to forego News Ltd's first and last rights option, the ARLC believes there will be more bidders when the next broadcast deal is negotiated and the game will be in a stronger position to make demands about the coverage.

BuffaloRules

Coach
And people still think News giving up the first and last rights wasn't a big deal.

A few more years of shyte coverage will be a small price to pay in the long run.

Latest posts