What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under-strength roosters beat dogs 24-14

Monk

Referee
Despite a weakend line-up, the roosters have run out comfortable winners beating a disappointing dogs outfit tonight 24-14.

down 10-4 at the break the roosters came our firing in the 2nd half scoring 20 points to the bulldogs 4.

Sydney Roosters (24)
Tries: Brent Grose, Sam Perrett, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Amos Roberts, Setaimata Sa
Goals: Amos Roberts (2/5)
Canterbury Bulldogs (14)
Tries: Hazem El Masri, Arana Taumata, Tim Winitana
Goals: Hazem El Masri (1/3)

Roosters Team:
Team: Roberts, SKD, Grose, Soliola, Perrett, Sa, Jaubs, O'Mealy, Brown, Shillington, L.Paea, Nuuasala, Maubs
Reserves: M.Paea, Cherrington, Friend, Rudder

Source Roosters Site

Spirited Roosters remain on top
Friday, June 27, 2008
Amos_web_v_dogs.jpg

The Sydney Roosters stand alone at the top of the NRL ladder after downing the Canterbury Bulldogs 24-14 at the Sydney football stadium in Friday night football.
The game lacked superstar players, with six Roosters players out through Origin and an injury depleted Bulldogs outfit, although the Roosters didn’t lack cohesion in front of a home crowd of 9,217.
They blooded a debutant in Jake Friend, gave a player who hadn’t played in a NRL match in five years and had a host of Newtown jets players stepping up to the mark in an effort to claim redemption after their earlier defeat to Manly.
The game started physically when the Bulldogs rushed up and greeted Roosters captain Mark O’Meley in defence but he was quicker to bounce back to his feet and stand face to face withs his former teammates.
The Bulldogs opened the scoring in the 12th minute through Hazem El Masri. Sonny Bill Williams provided the final pass for the winger to cross in the corner after some scrappy errors by the home side put them in good field position.
James Aubusson almost scored of his own kick three minutes later only to be denied by video referee Bill Harrigan, who ruled Sia Soliola had knocked the ball on when challenging for it in the air.
Sean Rudder was introduced into the action in the 19th minute, his first NRL match since 2003.
Handling errors continued to riddle the contest as both sides struggled to make any inroads into either sides attacking zone.
Jake Friend was next to be introduced to first grade football in the 27th minute, but the 18-year-old was making his debut.
Another roosters handling error on the Bulldogs line resulted in another try for the opposition, with debutant Arana Taumata running 70 metres to score in the corner. Setaimata Sa was stripped of the ball a couple of metres out from The Bulldogs line leaving them with 100 metres to go and they did it in quick time.
The Roosters hit back before half time when Brent Grose latched onto a Sa grubber kick in the 36th minute. The makeshift five-eighth put a neat kick in behind the defensive line leaving the centre with an open run to the line.
Neither side were able to add to the scoreboard before half time with further errors preventing that. The Bulldogs held onto their advantage to lead 10-4 at the break.
The Roosters were coming home with the wind in their sails and scored first through Sam Perrett after he grounded an Amos Roberts grubber kick in the 49th minute. The fullback put in a perfectly weighted kick and the video referee gave the winger the benefit of the doubt. Roberts missed the conversion attempt from right on the touchline leaving his side trailing by two.
The Roosters grabbed the lead for the first time through Shaun Kenny-Dowall got his name on the score sheet after he pounced on a James Aubusson grubber kick five minutes later. The momentum was with the home side and the fill in halfbacks kick was pin point for the flying New Zealander. Roberts was unable to convert his third attempt, albeit an inch inside the sideline for the third successive kick.
Amos Roberts was next to cross as he stepped and stretched his side out to a converted try lead. Roberts appeared to have knocked the ball on in his efforts to ground but referee Jared Maxwell called upon Harrigan again and he was quick to award the try. Roberts converted his four pointer to give his side a 18-10 lead with 10 minutes remaining.
Next in was Sa when he intercepted a pass to run 90 metres, palming off Reni Maitua on his way to the line, his efforts assuring a Roosters victory.
Tim Winitana crossed late for the Bulldogs after another Sonny Bill pass put a teammate over the line. Winitana went close again seconds from the end but he was denied after pushing Soliola out of the contest illegally.

Last edited:

2 True Blues

Coach
Plenty of disallowed trys for the Roosters too . Could/should have been a higher scoreline IMO.

Last edited:

2 True Blues

Coach
I honestly dont see how Amos got the man of the match. I saw more f**k ups than not, but may have been missing something. lol.... ( hindsight stats may prove me wrong though ).

SA was great as usual. That burst down the centre reminded me of Henson Park on a saturday arvo back in 2006.

Sood

Juniors
Yep cherro is going to be awesome! :D

I woulda given MOTM to Jaubs.. They said after the game hes gotta have surgery on his ankle??
Not too worried, Jake Friend had a great debut. Him and riley can do the job!

Dave Q

Coach
You gotta hand it to Amos, he's an honest bastard.

El Masri left his boots at home too.

2 True Blues

Coach
Both debuts were great IMO. great future players in the not so distant future. The NRL would have taken notice IMO. Great blooding for em too in that win.

2 True Blues

Coach
You gotta hand it to Amos, he's an honest bastard.

El Masri left his boots at home too.

When he scored that first try and converted I thought it may turn into another Masri showcase game. but he died in the arse after that. Good to see....:cool:;-)

Dave Q

Coach
When he scored that first try and converted I thought it may turn into another Masri showcase game. but he died in the arse after that. Good to see....:cool:;-)

They just couldnt keep up the doggies.

El masri wants to be known as a good player (not just kicker) but IMO he isnt a great winger.

Now that he starts to miss goals more frequently, he's in some trouble.

The doggies need to get some fresh blood on feild asap. 2008 is now a memory for them.

Their coach, thanks for all the fish, but he can leave now too.

Get Graham Murray in, anyone who can curse like a sailor.

I wonder what Kimmorley will do for them next year?

Last edited:

Sood

Juniors
Yep, im stoked!

Doggies loosing helps your mob to make a run up the bottom half of the table. Id say dog's or cows for the spoon. Looks like souths have 2 easy games coming up.

2 True Blues

Coach
They just couldnt keep up the doggies.

El masri wants to be known as a good player (not just kicker) but IMO he isnt a great winger.

Now that he starts to miss goals more frequently, he's in some trouble.

The doggies need to get some fresh blood on feild asap. 2008 is now a memory for them.

Sorry mate, but on that I could not wonder if Souths are ready to sign him for 2009 or not. they love a good has been right. !??? ( tongue in cheek ).
PS.... Jokin mate. ;-):lol:

2 True Blues

Coach
Yep, im stoked!

Doggies loosing helps your mob to make a run up the bottom half of the table. Id say dog's or cows for the spoon. Looks like souths have 2 easy games coming up.

Souths will win a few here on the trot IMO.... For sure....

ozzie

Bench
I was at the gamecompliments to JMAN and had a wow of a time. Crowd wasn't overly big but looking around there didn't be many Bulldog fans If I am correct I could only see 2 small flags. I was in bay 13 and the noise was deafening. I could't believe the penalty count it looked like awefully one sided

Last edited:

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Good game from the boys won a tough game.
I thought Mickey Paea played well, better than Lopini.
I change my mind about Grose, he is great on attack, but a shocking defender.
Cherrington... LOCK HIM UP!!! He is a future star for sure, replacement for Tupou next season.
Jake Friend had a good debut looks good, Riley Brown or Hughes didn't outplay him.
The 3 outside backs all had awesome games, made plenty of big metres and all scored a good try.
O'Meley had another strong game, should have been selected for Origin for sure, but I'm bloody glad he didn't.
The makeshift halves played much better than I expected, especially Jaubs.
Soliola's defence was superb, made plenty of covering tackles.
Rudder...what the hell was he doing?
The rest had solid games really.