What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underacheivers in rugby league

RedVDave

First Grade
Karl Fliga
Dean Byrne
Richie Williams
Leon Bott
Eddie Paea
John Sutton
Clint Amos
Tim Smith
Justin Smith
Willie Manu
Lagi Setu
Luke MacDougall (It's not often someone leaves Souths and becomes crap is the rare exception)
Mathew Head
Reni Matua (Could have played SOO with the right attitude IMO)
Brett Firman
Denan Kemp
Marshall Chalk
Chales Leano

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Ewan McGrady, won Rothman's medal. Not really underachieving.

Julian O'Neill played Origin and played at the best of his ability, he wasn't that talented really. I'd say John Sutton has shitloads more ability than Julian O'Neill but has underachieved more than any player I've ever seen.

Alan Cann represented state and country. Wasn't the most gifted of ball playing forwards either but played to his ability and even well above it for a few years.

Mark Geyer played in a time when there were a shitload of great forwards around and still managed to play for state and country.

Olsen Filipaina represented New Zealand in Tests for 10 years!

I'll give you the rest, but f**k you got some of them completely wrong.

You desperately need to read the thread if you think for one second that you are contributing anything new about Mcrgady, Geyer, or Fillipaina.

But a short synopsis: Geyer and McGrady both ended up in bush footy after their 1991 heroics. How many 27yo Rothman's medalists have totally disappeared from the game less than 3 years after winning the medal, playing 5 games combined in two of those years, never to play origin or tests? A rothman's medallist who had a career of only 64 games is not underachieving? Really? Olsen Filipaina was man of the 1985 series while playing reserve grade for Easts. He completely underachieved in NSWRL whereas compared to his international achievements.

I totally disgaree with you on O'Neil's talent, and Cann would not have been cut by the Super League Broncos after his first and only origin performance for achieving. He certainly should have played Origin well before when you look at his grand final heroics had he not underacheived. And he never played for Australia? Deleted from the game at what, 27? So unless he got a career ending injury, underachiever for a guy who played at the Broncs in the 90's, could rip a grand final apart, and former Aus Schoolboy.

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
Soliola's been good in the few St Helens games I've seen this year.

Backrower now.

eozsmiles

Bench
Some great names so far.

How about Craig Field?

Matt Seers?

A random one might be Nathan Barnes? Retired at 23 I think.

George Rose?

Darren Clarke? LOL

shinobi

Juniors
As a Warriors supporter I'll add the names Sione Faumuina and Ali Lauititi. Both never quite lived up to their awesome potential on a consistent basis.

ethan tremblay

Juniors
As a Warriors supporter I'll add the names Sione Faumuina and Ali Lauititi. Both never quite lived up to their awesome potential on a consistent basis.

already on the bench :D, i always thought he was great in the nrl and over in england.. how about david solomona

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Ali Lauititi. Both never quite lived up to their awesome potential on a consistent basis.

Well thank Eric Watson and his stooges for wrecking Ali's NRL career. However, I do not think you can say he underachieved by being kicked out of the Warriors to the ESL and being selected in their dream team sides. A bit of a Pat Richards being lost to the NRL too soon thus udnerachieving, but unlike Pat, it wasn't so much as his call as the dim witted warriors management causing a price war that only Leeds could win.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
david solomona

Awesome player ridiculously overlooked for many more Kiwi selections by dip shit selectors. His form in the 2005 tri nations was nothing short of awesome, continuing the damage and carnage he had inflicted on the NRL many years previous.