What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlucky?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No one is saying he is the only problem, but most of us are saying he as sure as shit isn’t the solution. Is Bennett?? Who the f**k knows but I reckon he’s got to be more a chance than sticking with the 11 year dud.
You just said “Pou thinks the coach is not the problem”. That implies that there is only one problem.

the phantom menace

First Grade
So we’ve had the right resources for 38 years - they’ve just all consistently underperformed?
You seem hell bent on not reading the detail of my original answer to your question, and providing your own inaccurate summation in order to refute... Could be a nasty contagious habit you picked up from our friend who started this thread?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Why is there only one problem? We have quite a few at the moment.
So let's dumb it down and take the detail out of all those problems we could focus on, and instead vanish it away by calling it something vague like "resources" or "luck", lol...

Jim Carrey Idea GIF

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You just said “Pou thinks the coach is not the problem”. That implies that there is only one problem.
I actually think calling it a problem mischaracterises our lack of premierships as caused by something 'bad' that exists (and must therefore be purged), rather than a simple lack of whatever advantages a couple of bigger clubs possess. We are actually bigger than about half the clubs and no worse than a few others. We don't need to be blown up and rebuilt. We could end up a lot worse.

I don't think replacing any of our scapegoats (Arthur's, O'Neill, Sarantinos, McElduff et al.) with their realistic (based on 38 years of history) successors will add any of the shit that defines the big clubs. Maybe getting better connected and emotionally motivated board members will do it in the long term, but these merkins need to exist (i.e. be well connected Eels fans) and run for board positions. Merkins whinging about f**king Dragons fans on the board or whatever ffs. If there were Eels fans who could do it, they would be.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I actually think calling it a problem mischaracterises our lack of premierships as caused by something 'bad' that exists (and must therefore be purged), rather than a simple lack of whatever advantages a couple of bigger clubs possess. We are actually bigger than about half the clubs and no worse than a few others. We don't need to be blown up and rebuilt. We could end up a lot worse.

I don't think replacing any of our scapegoats (Arthur's, O'Neill, Sarantinos, McElduff et al.) with their realistic (based on 38 years of history) successors will add any of the shit that defines the big clubs. Maybe getting better connected and emotionally motivated board members will do it in the long term, but these merkins need to exist (i.e. be well connected Eels fans) and run for board positions. Merkins whinging about f**king Dragons fans on the board or whatever ffs. If there were Eels fans who could do it, they would be.
I think it’s a problem and I don’t think it’s acceptable to have gone without a premiership for 38 years.

There must be something fairly toxic about the culture at our club. For every coach to have failed over the last 38 years means that we have some bigger problems than coaching and we’ve never seemed to have people with the smarts, leadership and connections to dig us out of the shit.

Maybe we did in the past and the political infighting cost us. Either way, we have been f**ken embarrassing at times (on and off the field) and there doesn’t seem to be any sign of things changing soon.

That in my mind is a problem.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So let's dumb it down and take the detail out of all those problems we could focus on, and instead vanish it away by calling it something vague like "resources" or "luck", lol...

Jim Carrey Idea GIF
If we had the right resources we would have already solved many of the problems.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Anyway, here's what I think we need to do. It will require a multi-faceted approach across areas like team management, player development, community engagement, and strategic planning.

1. Leadership and Management:

• Appoint a Strong Leadership Team: Ensure the coaching staff and management are experienced, have a proven track record, and are aligned with the club's vision.
  • Implement Clear Roles and Responsibilities: Define clear roles for coaches, players, and support staff to promote accountability and efficiency.
  • Regular Performance Reviews: Conduct regular evaluations to identify areas of improvement and address any issues promptly.

2. Player Development and Recruitment:

• Invest in Youth Development: Establish strong pathways for young talent to progress through the ranks and join the senior team.
  • Scouting and Recruitment: Continuously scout for talented players locally and internationally to strengthen the team's depth and competitiveness.
  • Player Welfare Programs: Implement programs to support player well-being, including mental health support, injury prevention, and nutrition education.

3. Technical and Tactical Improvement:

• Coaching Excellence: Provide ongoing training and education for coaches to stay updated with the latest tactics and strategies.
  • Analysis and Feedback: Utilize data analytics and video analysis to identify patterns, strengths, and weaknesses for continuous improvement.
  • Adaptability: Develop a versatile playing style that can adjust to different opponents and game situations effectively.

4. Culture and Team Environment:

• Build a Positive Culture: Foster a culture of respect, hard work, and unity within the team and staff.
  • Team Bonding Activities: Organize team-building activities and events to strengthen relationships and camaraderie.
  • Community Engagement: Engage with the local community through outreach programs, fan events, and charity initiatives to build a strong fan base and support network.

5. Strategic Planning and Financial Management:

• Long-Term Vision: Develop a strategic plan outlining short-term and long-term goals for the club's success.
  • Financial Stability: Ensure prudent financial management to sustainably invest in player development, facilities, and operational needs.
  • Commercial Partnerships: Seek strategic partnerships and sponsorships to increase revenue streams and support the club's growth.

6. Performance Analysis and Feedback Loop:

• Regular Performance Assessments: Conduct regular assessments of team performance, identify areas for improvement, and adjust strategies accordingly.
  • Player Feedback: Encourage open communication channels for players to provide feedback on coaching, training methods, and overall team environment.
Implementing this strategy will require dedication, resources, and a collaborative effort from all stakeholders, including management, coaching staff, players, and supporters. Regularly revisiting and refining the strategy based on feedback and results is crucial for sustained improvement and success.

the phantom menace

First Grade
So after the huff and puff trying to support Pou's claims, it turns out Gary thinks "resources" is only part of the 375-word problem/solution?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think it’s a problem and I don’t think it’s acceptable to have gone without a premiership for 38 years.
I think bad luck is a big part of it. With better luck we'd have one or two in that time, maybe more. I'd say we were a genuinely shitpot little club by about 1990, and remained there until the Super League war injected some much needed funding and favouritism toward the Eels. The decade after that ('96 to ~'05) should have yielded a premiership. The period after that was one of obvious decline, and included poor results overseen by a number of coaches, including two premiership winners. This was followed by Brad Arthur and more mediocrity until the salary cap debacle and appointment of an administrator by ILGA. Since then we've been run very professionally, perhaps too professionally for many desperate fans, but 2019-2024 is a very small sample. So far we have missed the finals once in five years, and we made a grand final. That is the only data we have, so any decision made based on that data should prioritise caution. This isn't 2018, 2015, 2013 or any of the multitude of years we've missed the finals since 1986. It's a new thing and it's too soon to say it's not working. Nine teams will miss the finals every year. Many of them will (and should) be back-to-back 'failures'. It's normal and doesn't mean nine clubs are TOTAL f**kING SHIT AND EVERY MERKIN SHOULD BE f**kEN SACKED!!! each year.
There must be something fairly toxic about the culture at our club. For every coach to have failed over the last 38 years means that we have some bigger problems than coaching and we’ve never seemed to have people with the smarts, leadership and connections to dig us out of the shit.

Maybe we did in the past and the political infighting cost us. Either way, we have been f**ken embarrassing at times (on and off the field) and there doesn’t seem to be any sign of things changing soon.

That in my mind is a problem.
I think the fanbase has become fairly toxic, possibly due to the pricktease of 1981-86 and getting so close so many times since then. This led to very toxic politics among those influential fans who used to sling shit at each other every time there was an election. But while the one commonality of the past 37 years is a premiership drought, it's obvious the club has evolved through varying levels of competitiveness over that time. It's easy for observers to point to the most high profile decision maker (the coach) at each point and say that's the cause, but I think choice of head coaches is at least as much a symptom of a weak club as they are the cause of a poor performing team.

As for 2024, we started well and merkins were excited about our prospects until Moses got injured. I'd say our onfield problem since then is lack of composure rather than lack of effort.