What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Up the Dragons!

Dakink

Bench
Only able to watch Super League from afar, ie Facebook and YouTube updates (no fox), I am loving the recent run of form for Catalans.

Can someone more familiar with the English Game give me their opinion the Dragons and whether they are are real chance this year? Had some good wins and whilst only they are playing well. A successful French team would surely be a boon for the game.

Even though I may not post here much, I want to thank the English posters who regularly post the English results and game discussion here. I take a real interest in all levels, not just the Super League.

At least one of my Dragons is doing well....:o:o:o:o

Evil Homer

Staff member
They should make the top 4. Whether or not they make the GF is down to form at finals time, but I guess they're as good a chance as anyone. Most of the traditional top teams like St Helens, Huddersfield and Leeds are really poor this year so it's a pretty open comp.

Catalans u19s are also doing well in their first year playing in the Super League u19s comp, so far they are 4 wins from 4 and have won all four pretty easily.

JasonE

Bench
Catalan Dragons u19 continued their unbeaten run by flogging Salford 66-16, they really are a strong team. Their hooker Alrix De Costa played in the SL game.

Dakink

Bench
Sounds like a good platform to build on, though how many end up playing for the cashed up French Union teams?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Sounds like a good platform to build on, though how many end up playing for the cashed up French Union teams?
French RL players being poached by RU has not really been a factor for over a decade, the flow is in the other direction to be honest. The U19s team actually has a good number of players who have been signed from the local RU team, some of whom look pretty good prospects.

Dakink

Bench
So that leads me to think that both the Dragons and Toulouse have an increased chance of retaining the top FRench juniors?

Evil Homer

Staff member
So that leads me to think that both the Dragons and Toulouse have an increased chance of retaining the top FRench juniors?
They never had a problem retaining French juniors. The problem, if there was one, was that there was no real pathway for the junior players to come through to the first team squad. And hopefully now there is.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'd love to see a full strength France u/18 play this season against Aust, NZ & Eng.
England U18s are playing France U18s on May 27th. Look out for the halfback Lucas Albert who is one of the best prospects I've seen at this level.

Last edited:

JasonE

Bench
England U18s are playing France U18s on May 27th. Look out for the halfback Lucas Albert who is one of the best prospects I've seen at this level.

Yeah Ive watched him on the highlights packages, he looks as good as any 18yo half in the game, also Levy Nzoungou should be in that team. should be a cracker.

Dakink

Bench
Most definately sounds like exciting times ahead for the French senior team. What in your opinion need to be then improved to make the French team more competitive at the full senior level?

Coaching strutures?
More games?

Is it a real possibility that France can break into the so called top 3 and start beating Aus, NZ, Engalnd?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Most definately sounds like exciting times ahead for the French senior team. What in your opinion need to be then improved to make the French team more competitive at the full senior level?

Coaching strutures?
More games?

Is it a real possibility that France can break into the so called top 3 and start beating Aus, NZ, Engalnd?
The main thing they need is a bigger pool of full-time players. In the past the France team was just 6-7 Catalans regulars and then a bunch of fringe players/youngsters and guys from the local French comp. Now things have improved somewhat and they probably have a pool of about 20 French players playing regularly at Super League level across Catalans and the English clubs. They probably need to double that before they can start being able to compete regularly with England, Australia and NZ, but hopefully that growth will be exponential, a second French SL team in Toulouse would help a lot.

There have also been a lot of problems between Catalans and the French Federation which have really hurt the national team, they also desperately need to replace Richard Agar as national coach. If they can sort those things out before 2017 then they could have a pretty good crack in the World Cup IMO.

JasonE

Bench

Coaching strutures?
More games?

I can't remember them ever being at full strength though, Id love to see them pick a fit team with everyone available.