What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Vale Johnny Raper

The rugby league community is today mourning the passing of one of the true greats of rugby league, Johnny Raper, at the age of 82.

Born April 12, 1939, Raper debuted for the Newtown club in the 1957 NSWRFL competition before moving to St George in 1959, where he forged his status as one of the game's best. Often considered by rugby league scribes as one of the greatest lock-forwards in the history of the sport, Raper was renowned for his tireless defence.

Part of eight of the Dragons' legendary 11-straight premiership run in the 50's and 60's, he went on to represent the Kangaroos 39 times between 1959 and 1968, including two World Cup campaigns.

The passing of Raper, who has been battling dementia in recent years, follows from that of his teammate Norm Provan just last year.

The Dragons will now honour both Provan and Raper when they play their first home game at Jubilee Oval against Penrith in Round 2.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
I like Craig Young's description "a character on and off the field". Another way of saying "a bugger on the sauce". Great old fashioned lock-forward only just before my time, actually I saw the back end of his career.

King hit

Coach
My grandads afternoon bears in heaven is getting even more entertaining for him. RIP to a true legend

RIP to a legend. I remember getting RLW's top 100 players of all time issue back in 91-92, and he was rated the 2nd greatest player of all time behind Churchill.

Anyone remember this ad campaign for the 92 ashes series with him playing the judge?

Can't find the other longer ad with Lazarus and Daley as convicts.