What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vale Terry Hill

RedVee

First Grade
Legend gone too young

Wonder if he was partying it up hard when he went
Report I saw said he was a frequent visitor to the Phillipines working with a charity.

But maybe. Or maybe it’s another like Warney where they just drop dead.
Mates brother died at 48, just fell dead to the floor - heart attack.

One of the games greatest ever nigglers. Was partially responsible for the next gen of opposition fans hating Manly. The phrase “you hate him unless he plays for you, then you love him” comes to mind.

soc123_au

Staff member
This is so sad. One of my Fave Origin prints is of him facing off with Gordie. A mates Dad that worked at the Tele back in the day got for me. Great player, great character and from what I've heard a great person. RIP

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
NRL statement: Vale Terry Hill

Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) Chairman Peter V'landys AM today paid tribute to Rugby League international Terry Hill, who has passed away aged 52.

Hill played 246 first grade matches with South Sydney, Eastern Suburbs, Western Suburbs, Manly and Wests Tigers between 1990 and 2005.

"Terry was a prodigiously talented footballer who burst onto the scene in first grade as a teenager and went on to represent Australia in nine Test matches as well as playing 14 State of Origin matches for New South Wales," Mr V'landys said.

"As well as being one of the game's great centres he was also one of its most popular characters, a giant personality who was universally loved by the players he played alongside over his long career in the top grade. Who can forget the hilarious skits on the Channel 9 Footy Show?

"On behalf of the Commission, I extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to Terry's family, and all those who knew him."

Vlad59

Juniors
Whether it’s a sign of age, sentimentality or vulnerability, hearing about the untimely death of a man who always appeared invincible, shakes your boots. I’ll have a beer and a tear for him tonight. Life is short lads. Don’t take it for granted.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Go in peace, Terry.

He has cemented his place in Rugby League folklore with this iconic photo of him nose to nose with Tallis. I can't think of a better image to show people who ask about what Origin means.

997732580e1a87b947427932747d10bc

Nuke

Staff member
I see contact of the head in that photo. Both players should be given 10 in the bin and put on report.

In all seriousness, this is such a sad loss for his family and mates. 52 is way too young. It'll be weird watching the '97 Grand Final now, knowing he's gone (but I'll get used to it ... I usually watch it once or twice a year..!).

JJ

Immortal
Far too young - great player, great talent, great character... very sad, thoughts with family and friends, I expect Manly and Souths will arrange appropriate and respectful tributes

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, way too young for a heart attack. I bet the anti-vaxers will be all over it, no doubt.

In any event, an electric centre in his day. Amazed me that he played for so many clubs. I remember him as a Sea Eagle, then vaguely as a Tiger and a Magpie. Was unaware of his time with the Roosters and the Rabbitohs.

Canard

Immortal
Yeah, way too young for a heart attack. I bet the anti-vaxers will be all over it, no doubt.

In any event, an electric centre in his day. Amazed me that he played for so many clubs. I remember him as a Sea Eagle, then vaguely as a Tiger and a Magpie. Was unaware of his time with the Roosters and the Rabbitohs.
Incredibly with a modern lens, he fought the ground breaking player draft case to get out of playing for the Chooks and wanting to play for the Magpies.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Shocked to hear about this. Terry Hill was a tough and skillful centre. Formed a great centre pairing with Craig Innes at Manly. He was a character on the Footy Show, especially where he situated at the Dapto Dogs.

Gone far too early at age 52. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Tezza.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its still hard to believe that at a young age and someone who I watched so many times in the 1990s is no longer with us. I have memories of him playing for Wests and I believe he was on the top centres in the game, he might've got player of the tournament in the Tooheys Challenge for Wests, which they lost to Canberra in the final. That form earned him an Origin jumper. He went to Manly, got a Kangaroos jumper and won a premiership.

Now, I hated him when he was at Manly but I guess that's the sort of player the game needed, a character who was hated by opposing fans but loved by his own.

He was certainly a passionate player and barely put a foot wrong. I still have memories of that try he scored against Brisbane to set up a draw, it got Fatty Vautin so excited he was in the way of Rabs Warren "sit down you red head" haha.

That Origin game against Gordie is certainly one that will be remembered for a while. The game itself wasnt pretty but that image was posted all over the RL world. He was game enough to take on the raging bull.

I remember his passion playing for the Wests Tigers, particularly one game against Canterbury where they were massive underdogs and Hill made a massive run to get them out of trouble and when the full time siren he was fired up and hugging his team mates. At that point he wouldve been someone you'd want in your team.

Even at Parramatta Stadium where we'd yell "Terry's a w@nker" he'd still cop it and play on, give his best for Manly.

I dont know much about what happened to him post retirement but I believe he was on some podcast not long ago and sharing stories with Tugga Coleman about his junior days and starting at Souths. He never forgot his roots.

RIP Terry. Gone too soon.