What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vaughan conrimed for 3 years..

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dragons poor form this season lies with
the players, coaches, recruiters and medical staff. The players were erratic, missed tackles, dropped passes, combined poorly, put little effort in to attack, gave away stupid penalties and missed critical conversion, field and penalty goals. The coach had poor tactics, picked pedestrian and injured players , had hopeless set moves, picked inferior players who were serial offenders and did not promote in form and up and coming players. The recruiters purchased bottom of the rung reserve grade players who lacked ball skills, defensive elusiveness, stamina and strength.
The medical staff let injured players like Benji play when not fit which robbed guys like Hutchison of valuable game time.

TruSaint

Referee
I believe that Merrin knocked back 680 k... also bear in mind the cap has and will increase in 2018. Plus Raiders paying part of his salary next year. Im Ok with this, albeit, the argument re coach has merit.

BennyV

Referee
On Zero Tackle there are 33 contracted players to date including Garrick and Herbert
and excluding Leilua. I believe that the squad is stronger than last year especially given injured players this year plus players let go early.
Our 2016 squad was also stronger than our 2015 squad.

Means nothing when the coach takes them backwards. We could have the Incredible Hulk in the front row, McDrinker would still put Jake Plodketo somewhere in the 17.

I was actually expecting to see Havili, Lui and McCarthy moving on and it still may happen.

McCarthy seemed happy playing with the Cutters and while not a superstar lead the team well and did the little things needed by a captain.

Lui didn't take long to fall out of favour the same as Havili and Ikahihifo didn't even get a chance even though Masoe went down early which imo was pathetic and reeked of Mariness.

The continue selection of Marketo (Tries hard alot harder then some) was just mind blowing and seriously something was behind the secenes on that selection.

Vaughan add's to the rotation nicely as I don't expect Masoe to be ready for the first half of the season he'll need time with the Cutters.

FlameThrower

Bench
The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that Paul Vaughan has agreed to terms on a three-year contract that will see him join the Club immediately until at least the end of 2019.

The Gungahlin Bulls junior, who can play throughout the forward-pack, had previously been under contract to the Canberra Raiders and has played 85 NRL games to date.

The three-time NSW Country Origin representative (2014-16) made his first-grade debut during the 2013 season before later representing the Italy Azzuri at the World Cup.

“I’m very happy to be joining the Dragons who have such a rich history and looking forward to starting the pre-season alongside my new teammates,” said Vaughan.

“The focus now is training hard over the coming months to establish myself within a very strong forward pack and playing my role within the squad.”

Dragons Recruitment of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward has welcomed the addition of Vaughan to the forward pack ahead of new pre-season.

“Paul is a big-sized front-rower who has played representative rugby league for several seasons now,” said Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward.

“His experience and presence will be a welcome addition to our current forward pack.”

Vaughan, 25, will commence training with the Dragons pre-season train-on squad in November.
Tell em the price son????

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
In the back of my mind I seem to recall a figure of around $800,000 a year for Merrin. Stand to be corrected if I'm wrong. Vaughan at $550,000 a year IMO is better value.
I agree ...Merrin wasn't worth what he was asking imo....as for Vaughan lets hope its value for money...we will just have to wait and see

Dragonscales

Juniors
With this signing and looking at our current team I would leave Joel Thompson out of the team completely

8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Packer
11. Frizell
12. de Belin
13. Sims

14. Havili
15. Masoe
16. Ah Mau
17. Host

de Belin on the edge and Sims at lock for three reasons.

1. de Belin doesn't provide enough go forward to play 8, 10 or 13. Sims will provide awesome go forward.
2. We can keep de Belin out there for 80 minutes every game without physically exhausting him in the middle (more tackles, more hit ups).
3. de Belin played edge for juniors

Mr Red

First Grade
We shouldn't be unhappy with Vaughan or his price tag, let's face it, the guy was offered this amount, is he suppose to say "oh, that's way too much, please lower it!", of course not.
No-one should feel any animosity to him at all, if there were to be it should be directed at the recruitment team only.

With that price tag it sets an instant expectation of what he should deliver in terms of performance .... If he fails to reach this expectation the knives will be out for sure...