What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victims of their own success...

Southernsaint

Staff member
From foxsports: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9946608-23214,00.html

ST George Illawarra are victims of their own success.

That is the key reason why the Dragons continue to offload key players to remain under the NRL's $3.25million salary cap. Over the past fortnight, St George Illawarra have lost Brett Firman to the Roosters, Brent Kite to Manly and Mark Riddell to Parramatta.

It comes because the club has developed their players from moderate talents into stars.

The Dragons privately claim only a few other clubs are doing the same. Some clubs, they say, simply poach and refuse to develop.

Throw in the Dragons' desire to nurture their junior players and the figures just don't add up.

Someone has to go.

But it does make you wonder why other clubs don't seem to be offloading the quality players as the Dragons seem to do each year.

The Dragons fans are wondering. So am I.

Finally someone has put into print what we've all known for years. The Dragons are the NRL's best feeder club & development of players is a waste of time as it's not rewarded.

Cheers,
Ben S.

drake

First Grade
And it won't be until there is a massive shake up at the board level of the NRL. Too many sitters have a stake in maintaining the status quo.

Jabs

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Jabs said:
Exactly what "success" have we hade over the last 5 years? :?

Success in developing kids & "mediocre" talent into stars...

Cheers,
Ben S.
I know what you mean but that success hasn't transformed to onfield success because they are all injured.
For example if Bailey was fit we wouldn't be talkin about Kite in Origin let alone leave to a club like Manly for $1.3 million.
We just can't seem to get these players on the park at the same time.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Red V said:
Junior dispensation.

It's not even just that.

I mean, Saints got mark Riddell from Easts reserves when he was going nowhere & basically gave Brent Kite a club when no-one else wanted him. The Dragons turned them into Rep players & now they're going to be playing for other clubs through no fault of the Dragons.

A development or transfer fee would be an option but the figure would be hard to arrive at & I'm guessing any soccer-style transfer fee could be challenged legally by players & clubs in this country.

Hmmmmm...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Collateral

Coach
Something needs to be done about it ASAP...it is one of the absolute worst things about the game ever.

Briza

Juniors
Speaking of your Juniors, can someone tell me how many, Who and if they come from the Kogarah or Illawarra region.

Biglance

Bench
Ben Hornby - illawarra
Matt Cooper - Illawarra
Gasnier - St George
Simmonds - Illawarra
Barrett - Illawarra
Head - Illawarra
Bailey - Illawarra
Ryles - Illawarra
Young - St George
Thompson - St George
Timmins - Illawarra

Sims - Illawarra
Poore - Illawarra
Creagh - Illawarra

Anonymous

Juniors
Biglance said:
Ben Hornby - illawarra
Matt Cooper - Illawarra
Gasnier - St George
Simmonds - Illawarra
Barrett - Illawarra
Head - Illawarra
Bailey - Illawarra
Ryles - Illawarra
Young - St George
Thompson - St George
Timmins - Illawarra

Sims - Illawarra
Poore - Illawarra
Creagh - Illawarra
Slight corrections that I know of:
Simmonds - Illawarra---- actually Eaglevale, St Andrews
Barrett - Illawarra and Temora NSW
Head - Illawarra---- actually Wagga Wagga
Young - St George--- his Dad for sure but Dean went through the Illawarra comp. Actually I think Albert played soccer in the Illawarra before playing League.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
There's no way the NRL is going to change anything while Politis is on the board. The Roosters would go broke if there was a transfer system or Junior dispensations. I admit that the Roosters are good at getting young players and developing them (Hegarty, Byrne, Mini etc.) but how many of those guys actually played for Bondi under 7s??

Saint 60

Juniors
true I remember readin something on him..he was either playing soccer at 16 or 18 :shock:

lol goalee :lol:

----------------------------

Go U good things!

Benny

First Grade
Its simple put the salary cap back to 3 million

Have concessions in the cap up to 1 million so effectively 4 million if you use it.

Have concessions for juniors and long serving players.

Each team has own geographical areas to use as junior area as well as selected areas across NSW and QLD they can develop and those players are counted as those clubs juniors.

Then a transfer system so that once a player leaves a club to a new club they pay a fee. Have a tiered system:

Junior Rep - Matthews, Ball, Flegg

Junior Rep Honours - State sides, Australian Schoolboys etc

Lower Grader

First Grader

Rep Player

It would have to be much strongly structured but instead of the money going back to the clubs it would go into a junior development fund and put back into those areas that the player came from. Thus the area that developed the player gets the benefits.

Briza

Juniors
Biglance said:
Ben Hornby - illawarra
Matt Cooper - Illawarra
Gasnier - St George
Simmonds - Illawarra
Barrett - Illawarra
Head - Illawarra
Bailey - Illawarra
Ryles - Illawarra
Young - St George
Thompson - St George
Timmins - Illawarra

Sims - Illawarra
Poore - Illawarra
Creagh - Illawarra

Thats a lot of Steelers, good on em !
Maybe they should change the name to Illawarra Dragons ?

Saint 60

Juniors
maybe they are upset about the merging these ppl?...or are they are just jealous?

i cant believe they all have so much input and thoughts,....when really they dont know squat lol

-------------------------------------------

4 and 5 is 9
but 7 ate 9...?