What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victory Cup Scores

playfooty

Juniors
I've only see two scores so far - the USA games. Does anyone know of any more results - Russia v Ireland, Barla V France, NZ V France, or who won the event?

screeny

Bench
No idea, it seems that it wasn't such a good tournament, well, that's the impression I'm getting.

I've heard reports that the USA only had 13 players after visa problems, and that the Yanks and NZers were very poorly treated by their hosts. If that's the case one can only assume that the other visiting sides, with the exception of the French, were poorly treated too.

Bread and water, anyone?

The media from the event certainly hasn't been favourable. Barla seem to be the most media friendly of the teams there so it will be interesting to hear a detailed report from the Brits 'pon their return.

Big Bunny

Juniors
I noticed less reports in the Russian media compared to last year. Not a good sign, hopefully there may be more articles come to light in the next week when websites are fully indexed by the search engines.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Screeny;

Talking to people myself I have herd the same. Teams were treated very poorly. I think that in order to make it a competitive tournament the tournament needs to be moved. Here are a few things I herd.

Russians made US team play the day they showed up.
Russians would not provided the US team with a field to play on
Russians were plying head games with all teams.

However, I herd the Russians presented the American players with Russian jerseys.

As for the Tomahawks, yes they only had 13 players. Visa problems were one of the reasons why they could only take 13 guys. Other reasons were world events, personal reasons, and work reasons.

Tomahawk

screeny

Bench
oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I would love to hear some of the internal reports from some of the touring sides! Aren't the Russians supposed to be makign a reciprocal tour of the USA this summer? I wonder if their relations can withstand what must have been a frosty time of it in Moscow?

Bad for international RL - I wonder if the RLIF will do owt?

Big Bunny

Juniors
Blaming the Russians isn't much of an excuse. It was up to the US players to have their visas sorted out. It was they who had players pull out. It was they who cut it so fine by travelling close to the date that they would play. It's their own damned fault for not being professional with their preparation. Head games are to be expected but from what has been reported so far it is the fault of the US team that they are up the creek with a turd for a paddle by not taking responsibility for their own destiny.

If there was a time for complaint why didn't the Tomahawks say something at the post match press conference? When questioned on their position in regards to the plane mishap and their visa problems nothing was raised in regard to how they had been treated by the RRL.

playfooty

Juniors
Big Bunny -

I couldn't agree with you more. Isn't this the second year in a row that the US team has played in this tournament? With that said, they had an entire year to put together a side, work out work issues, sort the visas, and plan to get to Russia with adequate time for the games. If their is anyone to blame, it is theirselves. Absolutely no excuse for their lackluster performance and backyard footy team they put together.

If I was Russia, I would invite them back just so we had someone to take out our anger on for training so damn hard. Atleast they know if the US side is their they'll get up by 40.

Tomahawk, you could of came up with some better excuses, like your dog ate the visas or something.

Tomahawk

Staff member
They are not excuses. Because there aren't any excuses. They are all reasons why the Tomahawk's performance was not as good as expected.

Jeff Preaston is a teacher and could not take off from work
Danny Bull's wife was expecting as child
Shayne Mains was getting knee surgery
Mike Edwards just had surgery a month prior and was not cleared by his Dr.
Nate Smith has commitment with team he is playing for in Australia
Kevin Deal was unable to go do to work
Dave Nui was unable to go do to work

There are 7 people who were unable to go. Any of those 7 players would have made the Tomahawks better. I have not herd any good about this tournament from anyone.

Tomahawk

playfooty

Juniors
Rleague.com has scores and a finals update from the Vitcory Cup. Barla v Russia in the final. Barla beat both NZ and apparrantly a very good French side whereas Russia had the "more friendlier" bracket with whitewashes v. USA and Ireland.

ali

Bench
Russia defeated BARLA 26-4 in the final. It appears they have improved greatly.

carlnz

Bench
I think Russia would of have won against all teams that played in the Victory Cup. French didnt send a full strenght team, but did all right. Russia are starting to make in roads from the 2000 world cup...pitty australia didnt tour their last year!