What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victory Cup team named

Tomahawk

Staff member
Team for Russia is:
Marcus Vassilakopoulos (c)
Matt Shannon
Kevin Deal
Ed Woodbridge
Ryan Coleman
Rich Portale
Mike Mulvihill
Mike Mcgeachy
Hadi Yashruti
Rocco Forgione
JC Rocha
Ric Dortone
Craig Wells
Ahsley Lanfranchi
Greg Swinford
Christian Rahui
Matt Astill
Adam Dunn

David Niu Coach

roopy

Referee
That looks a very interesting squad.
Is Wells the guy who once was in the Brumbies Rugby Union squad?
I think they will be good enough to knock over Serbia, which is the only thing they really must do on this tour.

Loser

Juniors
Yeah wells is ex brumbie & if I'm not mistaken he was the last man cut from the Wallabies world cup squad a couple of world cups ago. Did play for Australia against Wales-(i think)

screeny

Bench
I'm not as expert in US RL as most on this board, although I do follow the AMNRL as closely as possible, but haven't heard of a good few of this squad (which doesn't mean much).

But I will say that any side with a player called Rocco Forgione in it has to be respected!

Tomahawk

Staff member
Screeny,

the people you should know are as followed;
Marcus Vassilakopoulos (c) - Bulls
Kevin Deal - Bulls
Ed Woodbridge - Bulls
Rich Portale - Wildcats/Northern Raiders
Mike Mulvihill - Wildcats
Ric Dortone - Slayers
Christian Rahui - Knights
Matt Astill - Knights

All of these guys are regulares on the Tomahawks. These are the guys you probally do not know.

Matt Shannon - Matt plays for the Bulls as a winger, and will be his 2nd Tomhawk apperience. His 1st was against Irland in Savana.
Ryan Coleman - Ryan started playing with the fight last year, and finished the season with the Bulls. Has union background, and is turning in to a fine league player.
Mike Mcgeachy - Mike plays for the Wildcats. From what know he was a pivital player on the Cats and in the Championship last year.
Rocco Forgione - Rocco players for the Knights. Do not know much about him, but I know he was in a Knights article earlier in the season of last. Check out N.Y. website.

From what I am told the US has Irland in thier 1st match, then if they win it looks like they will have Russia in thier 2nd match.

Tomahawk

Tomahawk

Staff member
Rumor has it Dave Nui will not be taking the trip to Russia. Something big must be happening. I wonder what it could be? I think we will find out soon.

I hear Marcus Marcus Vassilakopoulos will not only be the captain he will be the player/coach also.

Kevin Deal is unable to go because of personal reasons.

Also, this team is missing Nate Smith, Danny Bull, Jeff Preaston (C) and Shayne "Chief" Mains.Danny, Shayne, and Jeff make up od alolot of missed experience.

This team will be made up of allot of younger guys. Will be interesting to see how they do. Can not wait.

Tomahawk

playfooty

Juniors
The team looks soft regardless of who is coaching them. They're just lucky they ended up with the easy draw - it could of been a nightmare for the boys if they had to play NZ, BARLA, or France.

Seamus Haney

Juniors
What teams are participating in the Victory Cup?

How will the Tomahawks do against the competion?

I think it's good for the AMNRL to take some new lads with them on tour. It's good for them to play against some quality opponents to start the 2004 Season. They will all learn a lot to bring back to their home teams.
They're starting their new season on the right foot.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Play:

Not sure why all the Australian/American players for previous tours are not on this tour. It is a good question. Would probally becaue they can not leave thier teams or personal reasons.

As for Niu, I think you will find out soon. Probally by the end of the AMNRL 2004 season.

Tomahawk

ali

Bench
Is Hadi Yashruti the Palestinian bloke who has played for the Lebanon Espoirs but now resides in America?

I think they play Ireland and Russia. If they win those 2 games and advance to the final, they will play the winner of the group featuring BARLA, France and the NZ defence force.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Ali;

Yes they play Ireland first, and if they win they will play the winner of he Russian match. The Ireland match should be a very good match. This is a young Tomahawk team. Not sure who will win that first match now.

Tomahawk

Loser

Juniors
I dont think the boys will make the game against the Irish.
On the plane ride over the cockpit caught on fire.
They made an emergency landing in Stockolm & will more than likely
miss the 1st game :shock:

screeny

Bench
Bloody hell, Loser, you're kidding??!!!!

Do you know what time they're due to land? Will the match be postponed, therefore throwing the entire tournament out of kilter, or will they be forced to play without adequate preparation?

I guess if you schedule arrival so close to match time you've got to be prepared for trouble. Are the Russians?

Tragic for the septics. I suppose the Russians want a France v Russia final so maybe they tampered with the plane.....

hgfds

Juniors
KO 7pm sydney time ,wonder how long it will take the russians to update their web site ,game should be over by 9 pm.

playfooty

Juniors
I've been reading that this team is regarded as a young footy side - i reckon this side is heaps old in regards to footy terms. Average age has to be in be high twenty's. Freddy Fittler is 31 and retiring this year.

And by the way, i hope that the plane did really land safely.