What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victory Cup

carlnz

Bench
NZDF Fronts up for New Zealand

The New Zealand Defence Force's(NZDF) rugby league affiliation to NZ Rugby League (NZRL) has brought a whole range of opportunities, and in 2004 it wont get much better than carrying the flag for NZ in Russia, at the second Victory Cup tournament over 5-16 May.

The inaugural Vicotry Cup was held in May last year. It was set up by Russian Rugby League (RRL) to rejuvenat rugby league in Russia, and in turn greater Europe, as a competition open by invitation to Russia's WW2 allies. In 2003 invitations were extended to France, England and the USA, with Russia as the fourth team, but when it was pointed out that NZ and Australia also fought, an invitation was extended to the NZRL and ARL to play in 2004. The NZRL then invited NZDF Rugby League to represent NZ, and also fund the playing strip, meals and accommodation.

The final line up in 2004 is Russia, NZDF, England, Serbia, France and the USA. Pool games are to be played in St Petersburg and Kazan, with the finals to be held in Moscow, where the teams will be accommodated.

League is popular and fast-growing sport in Russia. The audience for each match is expected to be over 30,000, rising to 80,000 for the final. Street parades are likely to be a highlight of the offical functions - NZRL's Selwyn Bennett attended the tournament last year and commented that "the parades are something you would never before have witnessed".

article from ARMY NEWS 17 Feb 04

Good to see another International Rugby League Compition has been extended (Mediterranean Cup has also been extended). Also well done to Serbia for putting up their hand and getting out there playing more Internationals. Look for a big improvement from them in 2004 after getting a good taste of International footy in last years Mediterranean Cup.

Jeffles

Bench
Good article, exaggerated crowds.

NZDF would be a good standard to test the Russians, Serbs and the Seppos.

JK

I can handle a little hype in the crowds and it is not as marked as the 400 Billion people who watched the RUWC!

(Who said I hated exaggeration?? :p )

JVinAZ

Juniors
carlnz said:
The audience for each match is expected to be over 30,000, rising to 80,000 for the final.

Where did this tripe come from??? Based on last year's tourney, 30,000 total is optimistic number.

From http://rrl.ru/index_r.php,
The inaugural tournament, which saw France, USA, Russia and a BARLA Great Britain side battle it out at the Moscow Olympic Stadium, was considered a huge success, and whilst a crowd of only 10,000 saw the two days of action, the Russian Sports Minister, and Moscow Government will both get behind the 2004 tournament.

Even with massive government support, crowds that not regularly seen in RL core nations are an unreasonable expectation.

hgfds

Juniors
Good to see the pool matches are in kazan and stp,kazan seems to draw the best crowds for league,if stp and kazan are a flop there are other cities that they can move the matches to.Lets hope the cup expands throughout russia.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
What a bunch of arrogant nobites you lot are.

The russians have attracted a few massive crowds in recent seasons, but with all the Union bias in the media its like getting flour through treacle.

There was a crowd of 17,000 for Tartastan V Ireland at student level in recent seasons, and one of 25,000 for Usa V Russia at senior level so I see no reason why they can't get 30,000. You know nothing about how the game is there or how they market it.

If the national media would publish things like this you would know how much of a boom sport League is in Russia.

yankeeboy

Juniors
Wasn't Yugoslavia part on Nazi Germany? How would this qualify Serbia to play in the Victory Cup with the Allies?

JVinAZ

Juniors
yankeeboy said:
Wasn't Yugoslavia part on Nazi Germany? How would this qualify Serbia to play in the Victory Cup with the Allies?

I believe the history is this, and I will gladly edit this post if I am wrong.

The Croats were amongst the most successful in adopting the ways of their German conquerors. They used their special relationship with the Nazi's to try settle a number of old scores. Because of this, the Serbs and others fought honorably along side of the allies in undergraound and partizan movements.

There were many nations that were defeated, occupied, and some even disappeared from the map (Poland). Most of these formed governments and armies in exile based in the UK during the war. Unfortunately due to circumstances and geography, the Serbs did not have this opportunity. This does not mean that they did not play a role in the allied victory.

yakstorm

First Grade
The type of crowds they will draw is all dependant on what days and times they host it.

Last year the pool matches kicked off at 2:30pm on a Tuesday with the final being played on a Thursday afternoon, not really great days for drawing huge crowds.

If matches are played on say weeknights or the weekend, crowds should at least double.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Actually Yugoslavia was indirectly responsible for being the major cause in the defeat of Nazi Germany.

Hitler in early 1941 wanted to send some troops via land to Albania.

Italy decided to invade Greece, but two farmers greeks both armed with slingshots forced the entire Italian Army to retreat.

Prince Regent Alexander consented to the German army to pass through and assist the Italians.

In early May, basically a week before this was a bout to happen, a military coup occured and the new government was pro-british.

Hitler was furious and instructed his troops assembled for Operation Barbarossa to overrun Yugoslavia, then Greece.

This in turn delayed Operation Barbarossa by 6 weeks, with its Launch date July 22, 1941.

This 6 weeks turned out to be crucial, seeing as the German army was stalled about 55km outside of Moscow in December of 1941.

If 6 additional weeks of good weather had of prevailed, Russia would have been very close to collapse.

Under occupation however, the serbs remained very anti-german.

The croats aligned themselves with the Nazi regime and won independence during this time.

Per head of population, the Serbs had the largest resistance movement.

Jeffles

Bench
Would it really matter what role they played.

The Victory Cup name started out because it was a common thread of the original participants. That is the only link it should have. If Germany, Italy and Japan were to seek entry, would we tell them to piss off and form a Loser Cup or an Axis Cup. It was 60 years ago.

Lets not focus too much on the particulars. Lets look at what a great tournament this ius for European RL.

hgfds

Juniors
I think it is being held in may because of a public holiday[could this be why it was on a tue aft} and street day parades etc.Does anyone know much about mayday celebrations in russia.

Fampa

Juniors
I'd hazard a guess that in a former communist country a labour day holiday would be pretty big.

griff

Bench
hgfds said:
I think it is being held in may because of a public holiday[could this be why it was on a tue aft} and street day parades etc.Does anyone know much about mayday celebrations in russia.

The Victory Cup is actually on the week after May Day. May Day is obviously May 1, and I think they also get May 2 off as a pubic holiday.

Victory Day, commemorating the Soviet Union's victory in WWII or the "Great Patriotic War", is held on May 9, the day Stalin announced the Germans had surrendered.

The final of the Victory Cup was on Thursday May 9, Victory Day. The matches started a couple of days before which were normal working days so not surprising the crowds were low. The crowds mentioned in the NZDF article are very exaggerated. Not surprising, many people would probably already have their own traditions for Victory Day - watch the parades, dancing, reflecting on lost relatives etc.

jvujosevic

Juniors
I salute all, and sorry, but I must (because we Serbs and Montenegrins are very proud people) to tell you that Serbia and Montenegro fight in WWII against Nazi , and 1,7 million people died in WWII in that fight. For one killed Nazi solder, Nazi killed 100 Serbian civilians, but that is history and rugby league is now important to us.
Our big problem is that we sow only on internet that we are invite to Victory Cup, but there is no official invitation from Russian rugby league, I think that our federation try to contact them by e-mail, but there is no answer yet. We are now also searching for Serbian players in Australia and in UK, because our team is from players who are only playing in Serbia (domestic), and for Victory Cup and next Mediterranean Cup we must have strong team with players from Australia and UK.

С ВЕРОМ У БОГА ЗА КРАЉА И ОТАЏБИНУ!
Српска рагби лига!

screeny

Bench
jvujosevic,

You didn't even get invited to the Victory Cup but were told you were coming after seeing it on the internet??!!

What about the Med Cup? Were you invited to that?

How's the search for Aussies going? Is Djurdevic going to play?

Latest posts